This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PWAA 2016-17  (Read 218450 times)

hicksDad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-9
Re: PWAA 2016-17
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2016, 12:21:32 AM »
I just don't understand the whole ice time bit. I look at the roster posted in the other board, and there's 3 front lines, 2 1/2 defensive lines, and 2 goalies. Assuming you are taking the top talented 06 kids (bad assumption we know, but work with me here), how can the level difference between the 1st Forward and the 9th Forward be that far apart that one of them doesn't get any ice time? Was it the entire 3rd line? Was it the odd 5th defense-man? I mean, if the 1st and 2nd lines aren't exhausted after a shift at that level of play I'm really surprised. Or was it one of the goaltenders who felt like he maybe could have stopped a few more pucks and maybe won a game if he wasn't riding the bench?

It just doesn't make sense to me. Wish I would have watched some of the games.

Are we sure it was because of ice time? I would have thought it would have been due to parent and/or child not being familiar with EK's style of coaching. I took my son to one and only one clinic with that guy and he verbally destroyed my son (6 at the time) for messing up a poorly explained drill. It's not for everyone. Getting humiliated in front of everyone else on the ice still didn't make him understand what to do.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:23:18 AM by hicksDad »

rocket

• Mite
  • LR Justice +10/-17
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
One kid didn't make the trip, so that shortens all your lines down and ice time should be fine, right?. The kid that left was familiar with the coaching style, as he and my son had played multiple tourneys under EK.
Regardless of what you think the Brick is, it is a big tournament. If your kid gets to Edmonton and can't handle the speed or physical play of the kids, or is making plays that he shouldn't, do you continue to play him every shift - or do you do your job as a coach and fit him in where you see necessary, even if that means every other shift? These kids are 10, I get it. But if you watch the level of play, you'd be shocked.
Sorry that the coach yelled at your 6 year old, but you sound like you're practicing to make excuses for him in the future.

hckyparent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-5
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
Just curious, isn't there a subsection of this board for the Brick tournament? Perhaps in the Squirt thread as these are 06 players?  I thought this was the Peewee AA thread which would suggest discussions, topics, and issues surrounding players in the 04/05 birth year. For example, CAHA weekend changes, etc.
Further, pages and pages of discussions about how 9 and 10 year old children react to the pressure to perform and meet the unrealized dreams of their parents might want to be put under a new thread labeled, "ways to encourage your child to stop playing hockey". Just a thought.

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »
I think since most all of the Brick 06 team is playing PWAA this season, the conversation bumped up to this thread.  Less actual hockey discussion and more sour grapes happening on the squirt thread regarding Brick.  I heard the kids played hard and like a team but just didn't get the outcome they wanted.  Great experience for those that choose it.  But now that it's over with, can we go back to our regularly scheduled programming?

Stanley

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-10
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
Just curious, isn't there a subsection of this board for the Brick tournament? Perhaps in the Squirt thread as these are 06 players?  I thought this was the Peewee AA thread which would suggest discussions, topics, and issues surrounding players in the 04/05 birth year. For example, CAHA weekend changes, etc.
Further, pages and pages of discussions about how 9 and 10 year old children react to the pressure to perform and meet the unrealized dreams of their parents might want to be put under a new thread labeled, "ways to encourage your child to stop playing hockey". Just a thought.

Haven't you heard?  ALL the best Pee Wees are now Squirts.  If your Pee Wee is still actually playing Pee Wee, because he isn't in the NHL yet, it's obviously time for him to quit.

healthy scratch

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
I found the list of PW AA teams for the IHE OC Labor Day Tournament on Pointstreak.  It looks like a pretty complete set of teams.

Ventura Mariners
CA Wave (Wada)
Anaheim Jr Ducks (Blue)
San Diego Jr Gulls (Kunsman)
Nevada Jr Storm
CA Wave (Calder)
SDIA
San Diego Saints
San Diego Jr Gulls (Arlidge)
Anaheim Jr Ducks (Kabanets)
OCHC
GSE
LA Jr Kings (McDonald)
LA Jr Kings (Daughaday)
Wildcats

I think the only ones missing from the lineup are the Bears, Blackhawks, Colts, GSE#2, Flyers and Sharks.  Let the bold predictions begin… :-)

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »
I found the list of PW AA teams for the IHE OC Labor Day Tournament on Pointstreak.  It looks like a pretty complete set of teams.

Ventura Mariners
CA Wave (Wada)
Anaheim Jr Ducks (Blue)
Nevada Jr Storm
CA Wave (Calder)
SDIA
San Diego Saints
San Diego Jr Gulls (Arlidge)
Anaheim Jr Ducks (Kabanets)
OCHC
GSE
LA Jr Kings (McDonald)
LA Jr Kings (Daughaday)
Wildcats

I think the only ones missing from the lineup are the Bears, Blackhawks, Colts, GSE#2, Flyers and Sharks.  Let the bold predictions begin… :-)
I don't know about the No Cal teams, they always seem to be strong.  As for the So Cal Teams my top 2 are..........

JK Mickey D's    AND       Wada Wave

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
JK McDonald and GSE are among the strongest teams. Will be interesting to see how JD do against these top teams.

Northland

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-6
  • Kings Never Die
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »
JK Mac, GSE and Wada Wave are all really strong teams no doubt.

I saw the Jr. Gulls play in Carmen Star, but they were playing in the elite division, so i'm guessing that is their AAA team (they were really good).  Not sure about the Gulls AA teams.

Curious to see how the minor teams do:

- Jr. Ducks (06 core) Kabs
- Jr. Kings (06 core) Daughaday
- Wave (05 core) Calder

It will be a gut check tourney very early in the season.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
Wada Wave will be the team to beat in SOCAL.

IHE Tournaments

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »
We have room for one more U12 AA team.

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
All socal teams are in IHE except the Bears & Flyers. would be nice to have another nor cal team sign up

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2016, 09:18:26 PM »
IHE OC Labor Day Tournament schedule is out on Pointstreak, but some teams are playing 5 games and some 3 games?! It's gotta be a misprint...

5 games:
Anaheim Jr Ducks (Blue)

3 games:
CA Wave (Wada)
Ventura Mariners

IHE Tournaments

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
There were some Pointstreak issues this weekend. The schedule is corrected.

Copernicus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
Anybody heard of any pre-season scrimmages?  Gulls (arlidge) just clobbered SDIA 7-0.