This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: SQ. BB 2016/2017  (Read 57629 times)

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
SQ. BB 2016/2017
« on: August 17, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »
Let's get this thread started...... Where is everyone for Labor Day ????   Who's team's looks good ????  Who's team should be playing B/A (Can't wait to see Mr./Mrs. Lil Gretzky's responses)

I would like to appoligize now for anyone that I may offend over the season....too bad, grow a pair.  It's all in fun.  Smack talk is not only appreciated but expected.  Good luck to everyone this year !

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
Re: SQ. BB 2016/2017
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »
Ok. Who cares about labor day, They all look good right now, And it should be who is going to sand bag ?

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
Ok. Who cares about labor day, They all look good right now, And it should be who is going to sand bag ?
They all look good ?

You didn't see my kids team last year at this time.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »

Well when i see 23 teams in BB and B each (only 9 in Squirt A), it seems for the 1st time clubs are keeping kids down instead of up? Especially this yer with soooo many 06 kids playing up to PeeWee. Is this actually happening or are they "Sand bagging"? Also will SCAHA step in and actually move (pressure) teams around that "OVER/UNDER PERFORM" during preseason? Will be interesting to watch!

goalie_dad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +17/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »
You missed the Ducks other SQ A team.  Runtso is a good coach who will take time with players.  His son is on the team but he does not focus on him.  His SQ A team last year was respectable.

Northland

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-6
  • Kings Never Die
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
I'd agree and disagree with you on your assessments:

#1: Ducks with Eugene K:   Coach is a screamer and focused on his own son who he also screams at and humiliates in public.  When he actually does communicate he tells parents one thing and then does another.  He prefers to have a team with kids who are already far along the skill path to make his job easier as a coach.  If he has kids with less skill who need some extra coaching he ignores them and short-benches them in games.  Parents see through him and eventually bail after one season to look to invest in their kids elsewhere.

100% spot on, I would personally not trust this guy if he were the last guy around coaching and no my kids never tried out for any of his teams so can't claim sour grapes on this one.

#2 Ice Dogs with Riley:.  Good Dad coach who's real job is working for Bauer Roller and seems to favor kids who also play roller. Had a great finish last season and dumped kids who worked hard for him to win a championship. He wants to build a team around his son and a few favs at a club that not only has taken a dive, but one that shows very little interest to players and parents for future. One only A team here now for Squirt as the other BB team broke up.

Certainly some truths here, but from what I have seen and heard he is pretty fair and not a yeller and they have a training coach working with this team that is fantastic (former D1 player out of CC). 

I would disagree regarding the club itself how it sits today.  The club has cleaned house and they have a whole new stock of coaches of which many are accomplished hockey players with excellent pedigree.  I think the Ice Dogs as a club is def on the right track and if you look at the new coaching staff for their teams its pretty impressive.  Time will tell of ownership and management of the club can jive over the long run.

#3 Wave: Two A teams in Artesia, one with a coach financed and biased with a specific family who's wild child is on the team and a second A squad who's coach has a bad rep with some parents.  Either way, not sure these choices at this club are for all families.

Coaching for the A team out of Artesia is very good and the club seems to have their act together.  I know nothing about the coach or squirt A team out of Ontario.

Aside from these three teams....one would have to love driving to consider Kings in LA or Wildcats (no thanks!) in Carlsbad or Riverside.  OCHC has no Squirt A team unless they bump up their BB team which could possibly happen depending on their early success.  Same goes for other BB teams at Ducks, Ice Dogs and other clubs. BB is a fun division regardless and there are great players in BB that could or should be in Squirt A.  However, a parent should be fine with BB as long as the kid is having fun and the coach is delivering the goods...making BB a far better choice than the options above.

I agree with you here.  Kings are a great choice if you are close enough and the Wildcats (no thanks).   I thought OCHC would certainly have a Squirt A team, but I think enough kids bolted preferring not to play for 'Bud Kilmer' in Yorba Linda.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
You wanted candid?  Here is the reality.  If you live near either of the three teams listed below then these are a parent and player's only options (unless you own a Prius and love SoCal traffic). I don't think the larger number of BB teams vs A teams is due to sand-bagging, but rather due to the fact that the only three options for SQUIRT A have sincere limitations...... Or they provide good reasons to look elsewhere for coaching ( just to have good fun playing the sport these kids and parents love to watch).

#1: Ducks with Eugene K:   Coach is a screamer and focused on his own son who he also screams at and humiliates in public.  When he actually does communicate he tells parents one thing and then does another.  He prefers to have a team with kids who are already far along the skill path to make his job easier as a coach.  If he has kids with less skill who need some extra coaching he ignores them and short-benches them in games.  Parents see through him and eventually bail after one season to look to invest in their kids elsewhere.

#2 Ice Dogs with Riley:.  Good Dad coach who's real job is working for Bauer Roller and seems to favor kids who also play roller. Had a great finish last season and dumped kids who worked hard for him to win a championship. He wants to build a team around his son and a few favs at a club that not only has taken a dive, but one that shows very little interest to players and parents for future. One only A team here now for Squirt as the other BB team broke up.

#3 Wave: Two A teams in Artesia, one with a coach financed and biased with a specific family who's wild child is on the team and a second A squad who's coach has a bad rep with some parents.  Either way, not sure these choices at this club are for all families.

Aside from these three teams....one would have to love driving to consider Kings in LA or Wildcats (no thanks!) in Carlsbad or Riverside.  OCHC has no Squirt A team unless they bump up their BB team which could possibly happen depending on their early success.  Same goes for other BB teams at Ducks, Ice Dogs and other clubs. BB is a fun division regardless and there are great players in BB that could or should be in Squirt A.  However, a parent should be fine with BB as long as the kid is having fun and the coach is delivering the goods...making BB a far better choice than the options above.
HP, you seem to be spot on.... Except I believe there is only one Sq A team in Artesia.  Yes the coaches are on some else's payroll.  I believe some of those parents are in for a long season.  I hear coach is a good skate coach, other partner is a good "coach". Just don't cross little "Anthony Freeman." **

** check out twilight zone episode 8 season 3 . "it's a good life "

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:13:58 PM by trans4761 »

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 01:12:05 PM »

I agree with you here.  Kings are a great choice if you are close enough and the Wildcats (no thanks).   I thought OCHC would certainly have a Squirt A team, but I think enough kids bolted preferring not to play for 'Bud Kilmer' in Yorba Linda.

Just curious, who is the Bud Kilmer of Yorba?

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »

Just curious, who is the Bud Kilmer of Yorba?
LOL
You guys are in mid season form.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 04:01:25 PM »
Interesting comments on Sq A coaches and Sq A v. BB.  We did BB out of OC 2 years ago and then PWAA last year with 'Cats.   Wildcats offer unstructured practices, equal playing time, and low pressure but no real development or coaching except maybe on "paper." "No Thanks" is a kind dismissal.  We saw dads coaching the Sq BBs last year.   A premium price for that?

We passed on all the PWAA teams and coaches within an hour of our home in Orange County and decided to play PWA at OCHC with Nick Silver.   He is an excellent coach out of Lake Forest who offers good stick times and outstanding skating lessons at Aliso.  His team should be competitive this year. He also has what looks like a good Sq BB team.  There are more coaches in the Mite through PW levels that we would NOT play for than we would.   Sad commentary for such a beautiful sport.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
Its great that there is a thread that has a frank discussion about coaches.  However, Northland's implication that there would have been a Squirt A team at OCHC if kids had not bolted because of the coach is inaccurate.  OCHC did not have a Squirt A team in waiting last year.  It did not have a Squirt BB group and its Squirt A group was largely made up of 05s.  A good portion of that Squirt A team is either playing for the same coach again this year at Pee Wee A (including two of the 4 06 skaters on the team last yeasar) or graduated to AA and AAA hockey.  There are others who  wanted to play for the same coach at Pee Wee AA but went elsewhere when they did not make Pee Wee AA.  I doubt that there are more than a handful of OCHC Squirts from last year playing Squirt A anywhere this season.

Northland

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-6
  • Kings Never Die
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:25 PM »
Its great that there is a thread that has a frank discussion about coaches.  However, Northland's implication that there would have been a Squirt A team at OCHC if kids had not bolted because of the coach is inaccurate.  OCHC did not have a Squirt A team in waiting last year.  It did not have a Squirt BB group and its Squirt A group was largely made up of 05s.  A good portion of that Squirt A team is either playing for the same coach again this year at Pee Wee A (including two of the 4 06 skaters on the team last yeasar) or graduated to AA and AAA hockey.  There are others who  wanted to play for the same coach at Pee Wee AA but went elsewhere when they did not make Pee Wee AA.  I doubt that there are more than a handful of OCHC Squirts from last year playing Squirt A anywhere this season.

6607, it wasn't an implication, it was a thought which seems reasonable given that OCHC has had a squirt A team going as far back as I can remember.  If there was only a few 2006 players last year on the A team and no BB team then it makes logical sense that there is not a squirt A team this season.  Regardless, I have heard from several people that a that A LOT of players from Yorba's SQA and PWA teams from last season did bolt for other clubs for a multitude of reasons outside of not making AA/AAA.

robertalv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »
Hello from the Santa Barbara Ice Hawks Squirt BB!  This is my son's first season ever playing travel, and we are excited.  Although, after reading this page, didn't realize the amount of "inside baseball" in squirt hockey :/   Anyhow, good luck this season!

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
Anyone see any teams this weekend?  If so, how'd they look?

goalie_dad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +17/-8
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
I saw OCHC against Santa Barbara.  OCHC looked really strong; good puck control and passing.  They kept pressure all game long on Santa Barbara.

I am not sure how the competition was in the Anaheim tournament but I was impressed by their passing.  I think the Kings tourney had some strong teams as well but didn't see any of those games.