This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryout Dates  (Read 26726 times)

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
Tryout Dates
« on: January 18, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »
Saw the Jr Kings have begun posting tryout dates.  Have other clubs noted anything yet?

Xfactor_56

Re: Tryout Dates
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
I don't know but they would all have their tryouts over the same weekend.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »

Yes, I  suspect as much.  Really hate that the teams do that here.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »

How else would you have them do it?

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »

Stagger them, like it was in Mid Atlantic area  or Colorado, where my kid has played in the past.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »

Stagger them, like it was in Mid Atlantic area  or Colorado, where my kid has played in the past.

Interesting...how does that work?  How do they decide which club gets have tryouts first?

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »

Interesting...how does that work?  How do they decide which club gets have tryouts first?

thus, the inherent problem, no club will want sloppy seconds, or worse, thirds, or fourths...

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »

thus, the inherent problem, no club will want sloppy seconds, or worse, thirds, or fourths...

That's why I was curious as to the solution is in other regions.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »

From what was experienced, clubs will get certain kids regardless.   As is here, many have kids that have been part of the same group brought up the ranks.  The other aspect is that some kids will be in certain programs because of the ciaching and potential for exposure.   

Here, kids are forced to go to one program.  It may not work out for a variety of reasons.   Then what?  If all things are considered equal, then programs hold tryouts based on their needs, and accommodate all potential players that want to consider that particular club.  Just look at what happened in this area last season.

Wave Bantam AAA didn't get numbers.  Does that mean when they had to try out elsewhere, they were considered "sloppy  seconds?"  Or the kids that tried out for JK U16 AA??  Some talented kids ended up elsewhere, and were hardly "sloppy seconds."  But maybe too, they were disappointed in having to end up on a team they really didn't want to be on.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:19:00 PM by 1hockeydad »

cog254

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »

when are the tryouts I could not find the info

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
AAA mid-May
AA early June
A, BB, B mid-June

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »
For the higher Tier clubs, it also seems they conspire to have their tryouts directly conflict on the first night, forcing you to choose one club over the other, while jeopardizing your chances since there is a belief (and likely fact)   that coaches will hold it against you if you didn't come to their first tryout. 

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
For the higher Tier clubs, it also seems they conspire to have their tryouts directly conflict on the first night, forcing you to choose one club over the other, while jeopardizing your chances since there is a belief (and likely fact)   that coaches will hold it against you if you didn't come to their first tryout.

[/size][size=78%]All of the clubs have tryouts the first day CAHA allows tryouts so they can sign their team. That's not even close to a conspiracy.  In any event, it's irrelevant that the tryouts conflict because, particularly at the AAA level, the team is already picked prior to tryouts.  Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. They really aren't even tryouts, more like sign ups of already selected players.[/size]

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »

[size=78%]All of the clubs have tryouts the first day CAHA allows tryouts so they can sign their team. That's not even close to a conspiracy.  In any event, it's irrelevant that the tryouts conflict because, particularly at the AAA level, the team is already picked prior to tryouts.  Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. They really aren't even tryouts, more like sign ups of already selected players.[/size]
Handboni has it mostly true, but not totally.   There are some open slots that are based on who shows up.  Coaches have kept some openings based on who they thought would show up, but when that doesn't happen, all bets are off. But also, if there was a real break up of tryout dates, there would be quite a different approach to club make ups based on what the kids want and parents  really seeing what is best for the kids.

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 09:32:39 AM »
Granted the tryouts are on the same day....opening Friday, but just watch.  As soon as one of the big clubs announce (JK or JD), the other will make their tryout time in direct conflict.  It ALWAYS happens instead of spreading them out so someone could go to both on the first day.