This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PWAA 2016-17  (Read 226778 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: PWAA 2016-17
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »
@ justanotherhockeydad. Too bad you have napalmed your bridge at the Desert Blaze and now Riverside. Goes to show the hockey world is small....Good Luck wherever you end up.

J, Classy as always... the hockey world is small, and people know about your kid and the issues you guys have. I haven't napalmed anything with anyone, but would certainly like to get away from parents like you.

Funny how quickly you deleted the post...

Wow! Nice

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »
@ justanotherhockeydad. Too bad you have napalmed your bridge at the Desert Blaze and now Riverside. Goes to show the hockey world is small....Good Luck wherever you end up.

Classy as always... the hockey world is small, and people know about your kid and the issues you guys have. I haven't napalmed anything with anyone, but would certainly like to get away from parents like you.

Funny how quickly you deleted the post...

Wow! Nice

Seriously, some parents are truly nuts...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:13:34 PM by justanotherhockeydad »

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »
SWEET !!!

Looks like everyone is working the rust off before tryouts.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
CAHA rules apparently say that a club can only have two AA teams. So Artesia got them, and Ontario lost out.

That's what I heard also... What I don't understand is why and how did Calder, the new guy coming into the Waves, gets to have his PWAA team over the Ont Waves. The Ont Waves PWAA had tremendous success last year, and would've been competitive this yr with returning players and players from elsewhere. How did a team/coach with proven success and an established history lose out to a new guy coming in, and now an entire area/region of PWAA players are screwed and have to scramble to decide where to play for, TWO DAYS before tryout.

CAHA/SCAHA's decision should've granted both Artesia and Ontario with their own PWAA, or make an exception for Ontario, and have 3 PWAA teams, since Ont is basically in an entirely different region. The club appears to be Artesia-focused and made a very questionable decision along with CAHA/SCAHA in my opinion, and in the end, Ontario's kids, parents, and coaches got royally screwed.

I heard that the Ontario team were mostly 03's last year and they aged up.  It is my understanding that they did not have enough returning 04's and PWAA caliber 05's to meet the 50% rule. Could be wrong...

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »

I heard that the Ontario team were mostly 03's last year and they aged up.  It is my understanding that they did not have enough returning 04's and PWAA caliber 05's to meet the 50% rule. Could be wrong...

Certainly possible...

Itsjusthockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-6
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »
Heat PW AA tryouts

Sunday tryout at 9:30am

Spots still available on the PW AA team.

Great coaches...great atmosphere.

9:30am Sunday at Valley Ice Center.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 09:01:32 PM »
Valencia PDR for Riptide kids approved. CAHA got it right.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2016, 07:45:29 AM »
Congratulations to all the kids that made one of the California elite AA teams. Now that tryouts are over, does anyone besides me find it it ridiculous that California has 21 - peewee AA teams?  I'm going to guess that the 350+ players playing tier hockey are 25% of the overall crop of kids at peewee in all of California.  I know many of these kids and their families have no choice but to play what their local club offers up.  But are 21 teams what is best for elite hockey in California?  CAHA made it easier for families to play tier, they scheduled less games and they pushed players down from AAA.  Now they are faced with the problem of a very watered down tier division.  Heck they probably got rid of the CAHA weekends because they couldn't schedule that many extra games.  Just my two cents for a Monday morning. 

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2016, 08:04:46 AM »
Congratulations to all the kids that made one of the California elite AA teams. Now that tryouts are over, does anyone besides me find it it ridiculous that California has 21 - peewee AA teams?  I'm going to guess that the 350+ players playing tier hockey are 25% of the overall crop of kids at peewee in all of California.  I know many of these kids and their families have no choice but to play what their local club offers up.  But are 21 teams what is best for elite hockey in California?  CAHA made it easier for families to play tier, they scheduled less games and they pushed players down from AAA.  Now they are faced with the problem of a very watered down tier division.  Heck they probably got rid of the CAHA weekends because they couldn't schedule that many extra games.  Just my two cents for a Monday morning.

There definitely needs to be authority to move teams up or down based on performance.  It seems there are too many parents willing to go 0 & ? on the season just for the extra A.  I can't imagine being stuck in that trap week after week. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:40:40 AM by Puck Yeah »

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2016, 08:13:53 AM »

There definitely needs to be authority to move teams up or down based on performance.  It seems there are too many parents willing to 0 & ? on the season just for the extra A.  I can't imagine being stuck in that trap week after week.

It is the same argument or discussion each season.  The same discussion can be had at the "A" level as well.  Fact is a lot of kids are playing hockey and that's a good thing.  Last year in Bantam AA there was one team that should have dropped and didn't.  There will likely be a couple of teams that should move down and won't and it isn't always the usual clubs.  The big clubs have the same problem by fielding tier teams that should drop.  Otherwise games were competitive and fun.  All you can do is find the best team for your player to develop and let the rest play out. 

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
All you can do is find the best team for your player to develop and let the rest play out.

This is what my wife and I are telling ourselves. The PWAA experience is new to us and we understand the next level of commitment required by us and our kid. My kid's team look solid and hope the season will go well... 21 teams sound crazy but hopefully upper will do what they said they would and get a good look of teams during preseason and act accordingly.

All we can do now is buckle up and get ready for a wild ride.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Wasn't the BB division added this year to keep A stronger and AA as well?

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2016, 12:05:29 PM »
Wasn't the BB division added this year to keep A stronger and AA as well?

That is certainly the intent if teams and clubs are truly disciplined enough to fields teams where they are supposed to.  My older son played Bantam AA last year and JK's wouldn't drop down their minor team after lots of pressure to do so based on preseason games.  That team didn't win a game and got outscored 12-250.  If the JK's can't be leader for clubs by correctly placing their teams others won't either. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:11:35 PM by Panther Coach »

Northland

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-6
  • Kings Never Die
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
On the SCAHA Site it only shows 16 PWAA teams declared.  Are there 5 more?

Does anyone know how many of the PWAA teams have a core of 2006 and/ or 2005 birth year players?

The ones I know are Ducks core 2006, Kings core 2006 and the Wave core 2005.

Rainman

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-4
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
Probably 5 up north