This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bantam AA 16/17  (Read 159479 times)

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
Re: Bantam AA 16/17
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2016, 08:20:27 AM »
Think that team was all 03's. Heard the Ducks 03AAA team has two openings from players that quit after making the team? If that's the case, can't those Wave players choose to switch to that team?

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2016, 08:41:33 AM »
Think that team was all 03's. Heard the Ducks 03AAA team has two openings from players that quit after making the team? If that's the case, can't those Wave players choose to switch to that team?

They would need a release.  But that is apples and oranges.  Tier I and Tier II. 

rosetta

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
Why would signed players quit their team before the season even starts?  :o

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »
Good question! Apparently kids changed schools over the summer. Maybe parents moved out of area? Did find out Wave players will be released from AA LOI and have to sign new LOI since changing to lower division! As far as Tier 1 vs Tier 2 being apples & oranges, dropping from Tier 2 to "A" is comparing oranges to plums? Am sure many of the players on Tier 1 teams came from Tier 2!

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »
Good question! Apparently kids changed schools over the summer. Maybe parents moved out of area? Did find out Wave players will be released from AA LOI and have to sign new LOI since changing to lower division! As far as Tier 1 vs Tier 2 being apples & oranges, dropping from Tier 2 to "A" is comparing oranges to plums? Am sure many of the players on Tier 1 teams came from Tier 2!

My point was dropping from Tier II to A  doesn't mean the Tier II  players have the chops to play Tier I... or maybe even the inclination.  A BIT more of a commitment. for sure.

Tripod

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-1
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »

My point was dropping from Tier II to A  doesn't mean the Tier II  players have the chops to play Tier I... or maybe even the inclination.  A BIT more of a commitment. for sure.

I believe that Wave team was in Escondido this past weekend.  Can anyone corroborate that?  I watched the game.  0-0 after 1, 5-0 after 2 and finished winning 5-4 over the Jr. Gulls U13AAA. 

Shut Your 5-Hole

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +16/-6
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
Kids could have also dropped because the game has totally changed with hitting involved now. Isn't that usually the case?

Tripod

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-1
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »
Kids could have also dropped because the game has totally changed with hitting involved now. Isn't that usually the case?

I would say that is the case of an individual dropping out of  hockey. Dropping to bantam A does not get you out of body checking.  I would even argue that the lower the level, the more you see high elbows, high hands, hits from behind, etc. ... Where the kids have less mastery of hitting and avoiding/absorbing hits.

rosetta

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »
Is this for real? if true, I think it's shame to force those kids to play BNA. For once, I wish the association could think about players involved, instead of silly PDR numbers someone came up with two months before try-out.

I believe that Wave team was in Escondido this past weekend.  Can anyone corroborate that?  I watched the game.  0-0 after 1, 5-0 after 2 and finished winning 5-4 over the Jr. Gulls U13AAA.

Tripod

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-1
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »
Is this for real? if true, I think it's shame to force those kids to play BNA. For once, I wish the association could think about players involved, instead of silly PDR numbers someone came up with two months before try-out.

The score is real.  The identity of the Wave team was relayed to me second hand as I did not speak with a Wave parent directly.  I don't see a purpose for PDR other than restricting player movement.  Frankly, restricting freedoms is not cool in the land of the free.  How about ensuring that your club and coaches are top notch to keep your customers coming back instead of saying that they will have to drop a tier or not be eligible for playoffs (presumably, that means all your league games will be exhibition).  That will make your club and SCAHA better.

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2016, 02:16:15 PM »
Yes, the Wave team being pushed down to A did play Gulls AAA in a scrimmage and won 5-4. They are being pushed down because of not making their PDR. what's even more ironic, although not AA, the Kings 03 AAA team are playing in the 02 division because of an "exception" by CAHA. Why couldn't CAHA make an exception for the Wave?

BigDuke6

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +21/-14
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »

I would say that is the case of an individual dropping out of  hockey. Dropping to bantam A does not get you out of body checking.  I would even argue that the lower the level, the more you see high elbows, high hands, hits from behind, etc. ... Where the kids have less mastery of hitting and avoiding/absorbing hits.

I would agree.  Based on what I've observed the lower the level the more hitting just to hit, and the more borderline hits.

BBNMCAS

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +8/-6
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
I believe the rules are in place to prevent coaches from "shopping" their teams to other clubs for more money. For example, coach goes to the president of a different club and offers to bring 15 families with him if the president will pay him more than his current salary.  While I understand everyone's point of allowing AA players to play in AA, it sets a bad precedent to not punish a team that follows a coach looking for more money. Just my $0.02...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:30:37 PM by BBNMCAS »

rosetta

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
A coach with such loyal following probably did deserve a pay raise. :)

Seriously though, the revised PDR was announced in April. At that point, a lot of the teams already had their "core players" in mind. Even if it is a 100% good rule, CAHA could have avoid this by implementing it from the 2017-18 season.

BTW, is there any ground in the rulebook for banning them from BNA playoffs?

I believe the rules are in place to prevent coaches from "shopping" their teams to other clubs for more money. For example, coach goes to the president of a different club and offers to bring 15 families with him if the president will pay him more than his current salary.  While I understand everyone's point of allowing AA players to play in AA, it sets a bad precedent to not punish a team that follows a coach looking for more money. Just my $0.02...

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2016, 11:15:17 PM »

Let's not forget that this Wave coach was one of the coaches allegedly fired from the Ice Dogs last season for shopping teams. This seems to be a fair application of the PDR rule based on the history of this team's coach. Unfortunately, to punish those who don't follow the rules or act in an ethical manner ultimately ends up punishing others. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:03:16 AM by SkatingDad »