This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 334662 times)

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »
Well... they actually went 1-3 in Valencia, scoring 8 goals and giving up 13 for last place. The only team they beat was a very weak Heat team by one goal. They have size, but they're going to have a tough time scoring against fast, skilled teams.

And the Wave team they lost to was Lewis' '06 team. They could turn it around, but not a good start versus middle of the road teams.

Well, again I think you have have the perspective of game play and not just a scoresheet.  Yes they did lose 3 games.  One of them vs. the Bears who are a strong team and were undefeated in the tournament.  In that game the shots were about even and the Bears goalie was outstanding.  That was a 2-0 loss but could have gone the other way with some puck luck.  I watched a period and a half of the Santa Rosa game where they lost by a a goal and they were outplaying Santa Rosa for the majority of that game.

PML Peewee A is an amalgam of kids who played Peewee AA there last season, a few really good '06's and a nucleus of kids from their Peewee B team last year that was runner up in the state finals.  When you watch a game you can tell when a team is getting blown off the ice, and that did not happen to PML, even if they have some holes and some things to work on.  With even a couple of adjustments, from what I saw they will improve substantially.

That Santa Rosa team was very opportunistic! I was watching the Bears out-shoot them 35-14 and the game was tied! I saw the same thing happen to PML... I was pretty surprised to see the Bakersfield Jr Condors beat PML 6-3; was a top player out that game from that nasty collision the game prior?

Just Saying

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »
Pasadena is big, which you can't coach... but they have trouble scoring, which you can coach. They'll likely be fine in PWA. There will be good, bad, and ho-hum teams in the division, as usual. But unless they figure out the scoring (8 goals in 5 games is an undeniable stat), they'll struggle to win 8 games.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »
Pasadena is big, which you can't coach... but they have trouble scoring, which you can coach. They'll likely be fine in PWA. There will be good, bad, and ho-hum teams in the division, as usual. But unless they figure out the scoring (8 goals in 5 games is an undeniable stat), they'll struggle to win 8 games.

Now that IS a good point! Just saying....

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »
Skates, why not just be content with the fact that your team had a very strong showing but came up short, and congratulate both the Runtso Ducks on a very impressive run to the championship and OCHC3 on a strong showing in the other, deeper  bracket to get to the finals?  Having watched the Runtso Ducks, my impression was that they kept getting better as the tournament progressed and, as champions do, brought their best in the finals.  As far as your team being the second best in the tournament, I am sure the teams in the other bracket would have something to say about that, particularly OCHC 1 who the rumor mill says beat your team in a recent scrimmage. and OCHC 3 who took second where it mattered - the tournament. 

skates

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
6607, I don't have a kid on a PW team. Just getting my fill of teams for my son next season. And Rumor has it wrong. OC 3 MB lost to OC 2 JS in a scrimmage 6 to 2. OC 2 did lose to OC 1 by 1 point in a controlled scrimmage. So maybe the rumor mill should get it right but again it's the rumor mill.

I agree that all OC teams will be competitive.

Wave Artesia had a better showing than OC 3 and should of been in the final.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:32:47 AM by skates »

station26

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +133/-92
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
As for the scrimmages which are first games of the year where everyone is developing the chemistry, kind of silly to automatically base your case on that. Your argument doesn't get much stronger using the first tourny of the year either. Getting all worked up over who should have played who. Control what you can control (your games), win by as much as you can win and then let chips fall. Bickley team won the right games and ended up in the final. Good for them. They will close the gap on that Runtso team by seasons end.  Runtso team will get a fight from every one of those OC teams and doesn't go undefeated through the season.

One story of that tourney is all 3 OC teams showed they can win and I thought just the Smreud team was going to exit the tourney being able to show that. Runtso Ducks is team to beat and there doesn't appear to be a monster in PWA Like last years Riptide team.

station26

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +133/-92
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »
I guess I missed it so who are your top 4?

Transplant

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »
6607, I don't have a kid on a PW team. Just getting my fill of teams for my son next season. And Rumor has it wrong. OC 3 MB lost to OC 2 JS in a scrimmage 6 to 2. OC 2 did lose to OC 1 by 1 point in a controlled scrimmage. So maybe the rumor mill should get it right but again it's the rumor mill.

I agree that all OC teams will be competitive.

Wave Artesia had a better showing than OC 3 and should of been in the final.

I was at the 6-2 scrimmage.  While I agree with you that OC2 looked better, the scrimmage was definitely not "game conditions".  Coaches were on the ice and stopped play in order to teach concepts, teams alternated power-play time to test out lineups, goalies switched in and out, etc.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
I actually saw that scrimmage too. Yes the coaches stopped the play a few times for positioning but no power play set ups. OC2 seemed to have more speed and better at setting up plays. From my understanding OC3 was supposed to be a PW BB team but wanted to play up so that may be a factor.

Regarding my top 4 picks, I don't want to put that out there until I have a look at the pre season games and could put all the stats together.

Again good luck to the teams. Squirt A won't be as exciting since there are only 8 teams in the division so we have all made the playoffs!

Interesting that a PWA scrimmage between OC2 and OC3 has generated so much interest.  Another set of eyeballs, standing behind the OC2 goal has OC2 winning 5-3 with the Silver team scoring early, showing more speed and control of the neutral zone but maybe less effectiveness in finishing.  OC2 seemed to ease up near the end (fatigue?) and their GK was probably better that night.  Both teams that night looked stronger than OC1.   The scrimmage flowed smoother and faster than a regular game.   My initial assessment is that, based on that night, if the teams played 5 times, each would win 2 and the other game would be a tossup.  Early wins mean little when teams are new and getting to know each other at this level or lower.  The real issue is what team and what players develop the most over the next month or so. 

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
OCHC(3) 6 Wave (3) 2.   Other scores?

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
Bears over Wildcats #1 14-0

Cherry Picker

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »
Jr Kings PWA 1 - 2
OCHC - 4

mcca

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2016, 09:26:04 PM »
OCHC(1) 8 
Wave(2) 0

skates

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
Was there any surprises this past weekend? I know the wildcat games were not a surprise. 😀

Just Saying

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2016, 11:33:13 AM »
Was there any surprises this past weekend? I know the wildcat games were not a surprise. 😀

Depends on who you talk to.