Hockey Discussions > Bantam Hockey

SCAHA Camp

(1/5) > >>

Handboni:
Any updates, observations, intrigue, etc. from today's SCAHA camp?

I'll start with some. 

I thought the difference between AAA and AA players was very noticeable.

I thought the level of goatending was below the level of skaters.

Who were the evaluators?  I only recognized one AA coach.  The head coaches from the major clubs were noticeably absent.  I overheard someone say that many were parent coaches.  That sounds scary.

In The Crease:

--- Quote from: Handboni on December 10, 2016, 08:41:45 PM ---Any updates, observations, intrigue, etc. from today's SCAHA camp?

I'll start with some. 

I thought the difference between AAA and AA players was very noticeable.

I thought the level of goatending was below the level of skaters.

Who were the evaluators?  I only recognized one AA coach.  The head coaches from the major clubs were noticeably absent.  I overheard someone say that many were parent coaches.  That sounds scary.

--- End quote ---

Couple observations:
- Agree with you on the evaluators.  I didn't recognize any of them. 
- Ice was poor, dip in middle of rink, and chunks of ice causing kids to fall and bouncing puck.  That said they all had to deal, just thought they could have done better job for such an event.
- Would have liked there to have been more games or longer, perhaps stop time instead of run time.
-  I think for both the 2003 and 2002 age groups, I feel bad some teams with really good talent (like Ducks and Wave Art) were absent and missed the opportunity.  The fact they didn't move on at Silver Sticks makes it even more disappointing.
- There always seems to be that kid that jumps his place in line, not sure if evaluators even notice or if that hurts or helps their case....  Other kids get pissed.  Same kid is probably the one that doesn't let the goaltender play the puck during pick up...  LOL
- Good comment on the goaltending.  I did think a couple stood out that were very good.
- I think it is so hard to evaluate defense.  Again a few stood out to me.  One defenceman from King 02 AAA and a couple from Wave Midget AA.  If they just play good defense, not so noticeable, if they try to carry the puck end to end, then it isn't really typical of a normal game.  And at least on the Defensive side, I would flip your comment on the AAA and AA kids.  Some of the AAA defenseman looked way over their head.  Not that some AA and others didn't....   [size=78%]

All in all, I don't envy the evaluators.  Such a difficult position and task.  There was a lot of quality kids, and someone who deserves to move on will not move on to the next round.[/size]

Oilers1966:
[size=0px]" I think for both the 2003 and 2002 age groups, I feel bad some teams with really good talent (like Ducks and Wave Art) were absent and missed the opportunity. " [/size]

[size=0px]We watched this just to see what it was about( again we are 07). [/size]
[size=0px] The 03 group did not have one purple helmet out there.  So I am guessing that team did not even go or blew it off ?  Not sure you can field a team with out those kids. I am sure many parents were very happy that the 03 Kings, Ducks and Wave.[/size]
[size=0px] Seems kinda pointless to have a teams and players at this event who really have no business playing. Not to be mean but it really is not a true sense of the players out of Southern California. [/size]
[size=0px]Or am i wrong which could be. [/size]

In The Crease:

--- Quote from: Oilers1966 on December 13, 2016, 09:05:53 AM ---[size=0px]" I think for both the 2003 and 2002 age groups, I feel bad some teams with really good talent (like Ducks and Wave Art) were absent and missed the opportunity. " [/size]

[size=0px]We watched this just to see what it was about( again we are 07). [/size]
[size=0px] The 03 group did not have one purple helmet out there.  So I am guessing that team did not even go or blew it off ?  Not sure you can field a team with out those kids. I am sure many parents were very happy that the 03 Kings, Ducks and Wave.[/size]
[size=0px] Seems kinda pointless to have a teams and players at this event who really have no business playing. Not to be mean but it really is not a true sense of the players out of Southern California. [/size]
[size=0px]Or am i wrong which could be. [/size]

--- End quote ---

Great Point!  Your right the 03 Kings are ranked top 3 in the nation and were out of town.

Ziegler:
Supposedly won that tourney as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version