This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee A 2017-2018  (Read 122562 times)

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
Re: Peewee A 2017-2018
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
At some level I agree.  One of the coaches responsibilities is to help prepare players for the next level.
But an equal weight falls upon the family and the player.
A typical 'A/B' coach has the kids for 2 hours a week + game time.
Most kids that want to take the next step need a liberal dose of stick times, shooting, roller, and other activities that lie outside of coaches window of opportunity.

icedevil

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »
I agree with this as well.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
At some level I agree.  One of the coaches responsibilities is to help prepare players for the next level.
Most kids that want to take the next step need a liberal dose of stick times, shooting, roller, and other activities that lie outside of coaches window of opportunity.

That and you don't get better in a game,games are where you can showcase your skills.

Kids need to put in time on their own that can include other sports that will help with eye hand coordination and speed.

Rapid Athlete Development

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-1
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »

That and you don't get better in a game,games are where you can showcase your skills.

Kids need to put in time on their own that can include other sports that will help with eye hand coordination and speed.

Saying "you don't get better in a game" is completely wrong. While hockey involves skill, speed, and hand eye coordination (as you mentioned) as well as other intangibles; games are the great teacher. While each game unique, games are a series of similar patterns and occurrences. The more you are exposed to seeing those patterns and situations, the easier the game becomes: this is hockey IQ/hockey sense. You can have all the skill in the world, be the fastest player on the planet, but if you are constantly reacting rather than knowing how the game is played, then none of those skills will matter.

overHEATed

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-1
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
I agree with Mr. Development 100%. I can send you a long list of kids that breeze through drills (skating and shooting) and look smazing. Once the puck drops in a game, they are out position, constantly chasing the puck and make bad decisions. Hockey IQ separates the men from the boys.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2018, 12:15:23 PM »
 A HOCKEY GAME BY THE NUMBERS :
The following statistics were recorded during a 60-minute Peewee level hockey game:

• Players will have the puck on their stick for an average of 8 seconds per game.
  • Players will take an average of 1 – 2 shots per game.
  • 99% of the feedback coaches give players is when they have the puck. Ironically players only have the puck on their stick for 0.2% of the game.
  • 1 efficient practice will give a player more skill development than 11 games collectively.
A PRACTICE BY THE NUMBERS
The following facts and figures relate to a 60-minute practice session:

• 1 efficient practice will give a player more skill development than 11 games collectively.
  • Each player should have a puck on his or her stick for 8 – 12 minutes.
  • Each player should have a minimum of 30 shots on goal.
  • Players will miss the net over 30% of the time in a minor hockey practice.
  • Coaches should try to run 4 – 5 different drills / games / activities each practice. More is not better; execution of what you do is development.
  • No more than 5 minutes should be spent in front of a teaching board each practice.
  • If you have 10 players on the ice, strive to keep 4 – 5 players moving at all times.
  • If you have 15 players on the ice, strive to keep 9 – 10 players moving at all times.
  • If you have 20 players on the ice, strive to keep 14 – 15 players moving at all times.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:17:25 PM by Pistonkev »

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »
There's a difference between (1) individual skill development and (2) being able to play hockey.  Clinics and skating lessons are great for (1).  Games are necessary for (2).  Team practices are good for both (1) and (2), but not enough. "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
There's a difference between (1) individual skill development and (2) being able to play hockey.  Clinics and skating lessons are great for (1).  Games are necessary for (2).  Team practices are good for both (1) and (2), but not enough. "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

I am not saying games are not needed at all.

Just saying this.

Most skills and strength and growth are done outside of actual games.

Sure they need games and contact and to battle and get better ice sense and work on positions.   

Rapid Athlete Development

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-1
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2018, 03:48:48 PM »

Just saying this.

Sure they need games and contact and to battle and get better ice sense and work on positions.

My comment was not made to detract from practices & the importance of skill and skating development. The statistics you provided are the exact ones I use to encourage families to not play in a spring/summer tournament every other weekend. Practice:game ratio at each level is extremely important. There's a reason squirts and peewees don't play the same amount of games as midget teams. But to say "you don't get better in games" is the kind of misinformation that gets thrown around way too much. There's a reason small area games are used so much in practices. Knowing how to correctly play without the puck (on offense or defense) is just as much a skill as the things you are able to do with it, usually even moreso.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »

Just saying this.

My comment was not made to detract from practices & the importance of skill and skating development. The statistics you provided are the exact ones I use to encourage families to not play in a spring/summer tournament every other weekend. Practice:game ratio at each level is extremely important. There's a reason squirts and peewees don't play the same amount of games as midget teams. But to say "you don't get better in games" is the kind of misinformation that gets thrown around way too much. There's a reason small area games are used so much in practices. Knowing how to correctly play without the puck (on offense or defense) is just as much a skill as the things you are able to do with it, usually even moreso.

I'm with you maybe you don't get better in games was too strong of a statement. Just saying you practice and master skills then showcase them in games.

Racetonowhere

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +11/-14
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
A HOCKEY GAME BY THE NUMBERS :
The following statistics were recorded during a 60-minute Peewee level hockey game:

• Players will have the puck on their stick for an average of 8 seconds per game.
  • Players will take an average of 1 – 2 shots per game.
  • 99% of the feedback coaches give players is when they have the puck. Ironically players only have the puck on their stick for 0.2% of the game.
A PRACTICE BY THE NUMBERS
The following facts and figures relate to a 60-minute practice session:

• Each player should have a puck on his or her stick for 8 – 12 minutes.
  • Each player should have a minimum of 30 shots on goal.
  • Players will miss the net over 30% of the time in a minor hockey practice.
  • Coaches should try to run 4 – 5 different drills / games / activities each practice. More is not better; execution of what you do is development.
  • No more than 5 minutes should be spent in front of a teaching board each practice.
  • If you have 10 players on the ice, strive to keep 4 – 5 players moving at all times.
  • If you have 15 players on the ice, strive to keep 9 – 10 players moving at all times.
  • If you have 20 players on the ice, strive to keep 14 – 15 players moving at all times.
So if there are  15 skaters on a team, and each skater touches the puck for an average of 8 seconds, that means skaters have the puck for about 4 minutes of a 45 minute game. I know peewee is not very good hockey, but I kind of doubt these numbers.
One things about games though-they're way more fun for the kids than boring practices.

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »
Any scores from today?  Wave 2 10-6 over Bears.

Carl Henry

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-5
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
Ducks 2 4-1 Kings

healthy scratch

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
So what will be the final rankings for the #6,7,8,9 spots? Looks like it was close.

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »
Should be:

Maple Leafs - 6 (more wins)
Empire - 7 (Goal Differential over Lady Ducks)
Lady Ducks - 8 (Goal Differential over Bears)
Bears - 9