Hockey Discussions > Squirt Hockey

SQ. BB 2017/2018

<< < (2/27) > >>

OCHockeyDad07:

--- Quote from: trans4761 on August 28, 2017, 05:47:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: OCHockeyDad07 on August 28, 2017, 01:21:20 PM ---Anyone know where the Jr Reign Sq BB are playing for labor day?

--- End quote ---
I would say a the great BF  Invitational along with JR Team Teal/red/pink  :P

--- End quote ---

I suspect that is the case.  I don't see them at the other 3 Sq BB tournaments in So Cal.  All other teams are accounted for so they must be playing some stiff competition out there in Riverside.

OCHockeyDad07:
So now that Labor Day Tourney games are over we have a few standouts and the rest seem to be bunched together.

Kings (1), Gulls (1) and SDIA Oilers won their respective tournaments decisively:

Kings beat Maple Leafs 12-3 in final game, 5 wins with no losses and outscored opponents 42-16 overall
Gulls beat Goldrush 6-0 in final game, 4 wins no losses and a tie and outscored opponents 36-9 overall
Oilers beat Red Wings 11-2 in final game, 5 wins with no losses and outscored opponents 38-3 overall

Any of these teams going to move to Sq A?  If not these will certainly be the top 3 this season.

Biggest surprise was OCHC, expected better showing after the strong Sq B season and many top returning players.

SDhockeydad07:
There are 12 declared Sq A teams for this preseason, and in the Rinks tournament there were very few lopsided defeats. And the teams that did get blown out, were usually somewhat competitive in their other games. Only one team didn't win at least 1 game, and they were from Montana. We'll find out more once pre-season gets started, but so far teams are looking fairly competitive.

Even so, I'm guessing there will be some movement for sure.  Because unfortunately, every year there will be some teams dropping that totally shouldn't be dropping to Sq BB (see the Mariners last season who dropped from A to BB and outscored opponents 110-40 while going 12-2-1 before flaming out in the playoffs).  It's even worse with some of the teams that perennially sandbag in Sq B, but really belong in Sq BB.

Glad my son is now in A, so we don't have to worry about the sandbaggers as much  ;D

JustAnotherHockeyParent:
I don't think the Mariners belonged in A last season. If you looked at their results during last year's Early Bird tournament when they were playing SQ A, they lost by an average of 8-2. If you look at pre-season last year, while they played SQ A, they lost by an average of 10-2. For the actual season, playing BB, they won by an average of 7-3. Clearly they were better aligned in BB.

OCHockeyDad07:
The Mariners were a borderline team last year, average win 7-3 in BB vs. losing by 10-2 in A preseason (where they faced the top teams only).  If they stuck it out in A they would have won a few games.  They would have been competitive with the bottom few teams.  Instead they were competitive with the top few teams in BB.  What better?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version