This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Just the Beginning...  (Read 8404 times)

dreal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +11/-0
Just the Beginning...
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »

I posted this message on the Bantam Board but after some recommendations, I realized that this may be appropriate for Mites and Squirts as well.  It's just some insight and perspective from myself, and others that took this journey before me. Take it or leave it, but enjoy the ride, it ends quickly...

I have been involved in the sport of Travel Hockey for the past 11 years.  I have two boys, and they both started playing hockey at Mite B and currently,  the oldest son is completing a successful season at Midget 16AA, while my younger son completes his final Bantam AA season.  We have avoided the AAA level due to academic and financial considerations.  I have listened to parents that have personally participated, and watched their boys, play at all levels from Mite B, thru Juniors, and beyond.   In speaking to these parents, it occurred to me to "work the journey from the destination."  Where do you want your son/daughter to finish their hockey career?  College, Juniors, AAA, Semi-Pro, Europe, NHL?  How much to you want to spend to arrive at that destination?  Does your son/daughter share your passion? 

In speaking to a informed hockey dad, he had the opportunity to play Juniors as a teenager in Canada.  He also had the opportunity to attend College and become an Engineer. He decided to forgo Juniors, attend College, while his friends moved into the ranks of Juniors for the next few years.  His friends enjoyed their experience, but only one returned to attend College and did not fully enjoy the experience due to the fact that he was "older" than the incoming freshman.  His other friends finished Juniors, lost interest in school and moved into the workforce.  In the meantime, my friend finished College and is now working as a successful engineer.  He plays hockey weekly with other men that played Youth/Travel, AA, AAA, Juniors, Semi-Pro and in the NHL.  ALL of them finish their weekly game and return to WORK the next day.  In speaking to a BCHL Head Coach, he informed me that the average NHL career is 3 years and that 90% of former NHL players need to find employment at the end of their careers.  Although this may not be indicative of everyone, my point is, everyone ends up at the same spot....

My boys have had an amazing journey playing youth hockey while my wife and I have watched them develop into responsible young men and good hockey players.  We have traveled throughout the United States and Canada to participate in Tournaments which enabled the kids to see and experience a world they may never know.  Furthermore, they have made amazing friendships that will last long past their hockey careers.  Next season, my boys will play together on the same team, High School, for the first time since Mites.  I recognize that High School isn't quite the level of AAA or some AA teams but nonetheless, where does their journey end?  I fully believe that they love the game and that they can play competitive hockey for as long as they like.  The values, ethics and ability to work as a team, that they learned playing this game, will hopefully make them a valuable asset while pursuing any future endeavors.  Everyone, including the players, must make their own decisions...These are my thoughts as the boys end their Club Hockey experience. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:59:25 PM by dreal »

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
Re: Just the Beginning...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »
This is an appropriate perspective for parents to take to heart.  Many of us with older players have had time for the reality to sink in that their player is not destined for the NHL.  Or Major Juniors.  Or D1.  That doesn't mean that hockey isn't a valuable experience well worth the money spent for time with your player and family,  experiencing special times and seeing places that you would not otherwise likely see. 

By Bantams you start to see the drop off in returning players.  Getting checked changes the game.  Many players decide that getting the wind knocked out of you, bruises and getting your fingers tweeked takes a lot of fun out of the game.

By Midgets more challenges arise.  6 am practice Saturday is not Friday nite friendly, Girlfriends,  and unfortunately for some the allure of the 6 pack. 

That is when it is important to ask yourself and your player is it their passion or Dad's?   We Dad's may love it more than they do.

In a couple years you will be able to laugh at yourself looking back and seeing how REALLY unimportant it was that the mites skate cross ice not full ice.

Enjoy the ride, it is the most expensive, time consuming, sometimes exhausting thing I have ever loved.

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
Re: Just the Beginning...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
In a couple years you will be able to laugh at yourself looking back and seeing how REALLY unimportant it was that the mites skate cross ice not full ice.

+1

I've really tried to be zen about all this kind of stuff (honestly, with mixed results, especially early on in his "career"). I've also tried to keep my son from getting too wrapped around the axle about which team he might make next year in PeeWee. He's worried that he might not make it to the highest level team (probably a PW-AA team) with some of his friends.  I keep trying to remind him that a.) he's got friends that were "left behind" on that Sq-BB team that he would get to rejoin in PW-A, and b.) he's not going to be the only one that might not make that AA team next year, and finally c.) who knows, in two years, he could sprout 8 inches and 25 lbs and he could suddenly be one of the stars of the PW-AAA team.  Enjoy the ride, bubba... it's the journey, not the destination.

As long as he's playing with his friends and enjoying the experience, I know we're happy as parents.