Special Interest > Roller Hockey

Roller... Yay or Nay?

<< < (2/5) > >>

fistocuffs:

--- Quote from: SDHockeyDad on March 20, 2018, 10:42:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: fistocuffs on March 20, 2018, 08:52:54 AM ---hmm disagree somewhat.  Roller is a great way to improve skill and have fun.  Play what ever position you want. 
Saying a ice goalie should not play roller goalie is like saying baseball players should not golf because the swing is different.
Kids are smart, they figure it out. 

Just let em play.

--- End quote ---

Completely different push in roller hockey for goalies which completely screws up their form that they've worked so hard to develop during the ice season.  Keep working with your ice goalie coach during the summer and skate out, skating is a core skill all goalies need to have.  Not a matter of figuring it out, it's a matter of screwing up all the hard work with bad habits.  It's nothing like baseball players not playing golf.

--- End quote ---

I agree its a totally different game for a goalie. Just don't agree that it screws anything up.   Walking is totally different then skating my friend,  Yet we still walk.

TopCorns88:
Alright, I’m picking up what your laying down. This is exactly the sort of input needed. Roller hockey as a supplement and fun extension of the hockey experience is how we are approaching it. Just running with the in-house kids and staying in the game. For now.

Maverick:
Both my kids played roller, and at first it screws up they're ice game as skaters because they end up doing these big looping turns like they on the roller rink.  they get used to it after a while and most kids can do both without screwing up the other technique.  but, you can always tell the kid who plays roller more when they are on the ice...

Puck Yeah:
It is a great way to practice, but you have to beat them to get them to stop doing mohawks on the ice.

fistocuffs:
Maybe.  But, no offense, if the player cannot make the adjustments to excel at both, then odds are when the age out, they will end up in the beer league.
Great players can play both w/o any issues - they are natural athletes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version