Hockey Discussions > Midget Hockey

College Decisions

<< < (6/6)

Knuckle Puck:
if your kid is already a hs junior, is still playing in california, and isn't one of the (very few remaining) top-line studs on a 16u aaa team, the odds of him late-blooming enough to get into a ncaa d1 or program are minute (not absolute zero, but close) and odds of d3 only slightly better.  16 years old is an age to be realistic, in my opinion.

acha is an excellent option for kids who put academics first but want to keep playing in college. the majority of top 100 usn&wr schools have a club team, including several larger universities that offer both club team and ncaa d1 team. the level of competition varies *widely* from acha d3 (will take almost any kid that played through hs) up to acha d1 (many clubs at this level could easily compete in ncaa d3). some of the acha d1 programs play in cool arenas and attract hundreds of spectators per game (ex: illinois, ohio, lindenwood).

Hockey sophist:
Thanks for all who responded to my call for inputs.   Your insights are invaluable and rooted in experience.   They confirmed my expectations and confirmed that our son made the correct decision to focus on academics.   As he puts it, "hockey is something he loves to play; it does not define who he is."   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version