Hockey Discussions > High School Hockey

Adhshl playoffs

<< < (2/3) > >>

OneandDone:
I'm just guessing but it probably has to do with the amount of ice available and the lessor of two evils.  I believe SCAHA A/BB/B playoffs are the weekend of the March 6-8, and the following weekend is the Semis and Finals for SCAHA. Scheduling is always a huge headache and ice time is limited even with the additional Irvine facility.  I'm sure the league wanted to have most of the playoff games in that facility and don't forget that Irvine also does tons of figure skating competitions and has public sessions scheduled as well.  The amount of refs available is also a consideration when there are lots of tournys and playoffs going on.  Regardless it's impossible to please everyone whether you get the 6am game at a tournament or only a 3 hour break between games.

Out of all the kids that play JV hockey, how many are girls that play tier hockey? I'm guessing the over under would be 4 and I'd take the under. I'm quite certain that the amount of JV players playing on SCAHA A/B teams is greater than the amount of girls playing Tier, thus the lessor of two evils.  It's nice that she's playing both for extra ice and getting to travel with her Tier team but I've seen the JV league games and believe me, you're better off spending your money on the Tier and private lessons or clinics.

Ole blueliner:
My daughter is a goalie.  The JV level boys is very good level for her.  And all girl players.  Plus she wants to play for her high school team.  There are also a lot of 16aa kids playing high school.  Their playdowns are in Valencia when the high school semi's and final games are played.
The ducks own 12 sheets of ice.  They can find a place to play the high school playoffs when the paying players can attend.

It's about making the sport more accessible and easier for the kids and parents.  They charge a fortune - the charge over $900 per game.  They can make an effort so that all the kids can play.
The high school league in our area is fading away.  If they want to grow they league they have to make an effort.  We can all ponder on what efforts they have made, or why they have done this, but there is zero evidence or communication that they are even aware or care.
Again, you want to charge top dollar, you need to deliver to your customers. 

OneandDone:

--- Quote from: Ole blueliner on February 11, 2020, 05:04:04 PM ---My daughter is a goalie.  The JV level boys is very good level for her.  And all girl players.  Plus she wants to play for her high school team.  There are also a lot of 16aa kids playing high school.  Their playdowns are in Valencia when the high school semi's and final games are played.
The ducks own 12 sheets of ice.  They can find a place to play the high school playoffs when the paying players can attend.

It's about making the sport more accessible and easier for the kids and parents.  They charge a fortune - the charge over $900 per game.  They can make an effort so that all the kids can play.
The high school league in our area is fading away.  If they want to grow they league they have to make an effort.  We can all ponder on what efforts they have made, or why they have done this, but there is zero evidence or communication that they are even aware or care.

--- End quote ---

WOW, talk about fake news and spin!  First of all, the kids that play 16AA shouldn’t be playing JV, there is actually a rule stating so.  The only kids that play 16AA that will miss any playoff games are from the top 4 teams in Division 1.  16AA players will NOT miss anything in D1, D2 or D3 ADHSHL playoffs.  Again, the only kids that will miss are from the top 4 teams in D1 for the CAHA State Championship which is not the same as the ADHSHL Championship.  Everyone that I know in that position are bummed, but knew it could happen.

It sounds to me like you’re making an argument for your girl to play only high school hockey next year.  You complain that the league should make it easy and accessible.  Compared to travel which costs a fortune, high school hockey has basically wiped out 16 and 18 A/B hockey, while 16 and 18 Tier hockey has remained level for the last 5 years.  High school has lowered the cost, lessened the travel with local games 95% of the time and provided a better product with its website, stats, blackdog TV coverage, etc.

You have provided ZERO evidence or communication that proves the ADHSHL is fading away.  In fact it’s the contrary as the league has grown to over 50 teams this year.   As for the $900 cost, the JV games use 1.5 hours of ice. At just $450 an hour you have $700 of it gone.  Now add in 2 referees, two linesman, and a timekeeper and you’re right there at $900.   Keep playing travel and chasing the dream while driving and flying all over the place and then kicking and screaming without knowing any of the facts when it doesn’t work out perfectly for YOU. 

CahaMama:
The high school league in our area is fading away.

This statement from Ole blueliner might be in reference to the LA Kings HSHL. We have been hearing those rumors for awhile, ever since Jim Fox stepped down as Commissioner. It hasn't happened yet, but I would imagine it it does, maybe the ADHSHL will pick up the remaining teams.

area51:

--- Quote from: Ole blueliner on February 11, 2020, 05:04:04 PM ---My daughter is a goalie.  The JV level boys is very good level for her.  And all girl players.  Plus she wants to play for her high school team.  There are also a lot of 16aa kids playing high school.  Their playdowns are in Valencia when the high school semi's and final games are played.

--- End quote ---
all Varsity divisions finish ADHSHL playoffs by 2/22, only JV plays into the next weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version