Hockey Discussions > Midget Hockey

Lots and lots of AAA teams next year

(1/10) > >>

notTHATdad:
I guess everyone in SoCal complaining about the small number of AAA teams will get their wishes. On CAHA site today:

Boys
11U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, LA Jr. Kings, San Jose Jr. Sharks
12U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Calif. Golden Bears; LA Jr. Kings, San Jose Jr. Sharks
13O - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, LA Jr. Kings, San Jose Jr. Sharks
14U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Calif. Golden Bears, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
15O - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs; Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
16U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs, Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks
18U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, California Wave, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks

Personally, given what I saw this year from the Jr Reign, I don't see how it works. The Reign are ranked #113 out of 119 AAA clubs in the country. The Jr Sharks (who so many in SoCal consider terrible) beat them 9-3 and 10-0 in States, and it wasn't even as close as the scores indicate. Yes, they somehow pulled off a win against the Kings, who only carried over 2 or 3 AAA players from last year, but also lost 6-1 to them. I've always thought that a 3rd AAA team from down south was marginal, and that seems to be what happened this year. Probably worth it, but marginally.

But to add two MORE to 18's? A year when every team struggles to get qualified players? And even more at 16's? California AAA hockey will just be embarrassing.  And it has other impacts as like this year, we end up sending players to districts from terrible rosters because "every team wants their best there", instead of better players from other rosters.

California AAA is going to be a national joke next year.

AllEyesOnYou:

--- Quote from: notTHATdad on March 24, 2021, 10:30:53 AM ---I guess everyone in SoCal complaining about the small number of AAA teams will get their wishes. On CAHA site today:

Boys
14U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Calif. Golden Bears, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
15O - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs; Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
16U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs, Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks
18U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, California Wave, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks

Personally, given what I saw this year from the Jr Reign, I don't see how it works. The Reign are ranked #113 out of 119 AAA clubs in the country. The Jr Sharks (who so many in SoCal consider terrible) beat them 9-3 and 10-0 in States, and it wasn't even as close as the scores indicate. Yes, they somehow pulled off a win against the Kings, who only carried over 2 or 3 AAA players from last year, but also lost 6-1 to them. I've always thought that a 3rd AAA team from down south was marginal, and that seems to be what happened this year. Probably worth it, but marginally.

But to add two MORE to 18's? A year when every team struggles to get qualified players? And even more at 16's? California AAA hockey will just be embarrassing.  And it has other impacts as like this year, we end up sending players to districts from terrible rosters because "every team wants their best there", instead of better players from other rosters.

@NotTHATDad  ..... you're sure sounding like 'that guy'.  My guess is CAHA is trying to stop the bleeding out of California talented athletes to other destinations and give them something to chase...extra AAAAAAAAA's.  Having only 3 clubs permitted at AAA level hasn't exactly worked so well... or has it?  Comparing California hockey to the rest of the country via myhockeyrankings is clearly a challenge in itself as well.

--- End quote ---

AllEyesOnYou:

@NotTHATDad  ..... you're sure sounding like 'that guy'.  My guess is CAHA is trying to stop the bleeding out of California talented athletes to other destinations and give them something to chase...extra AAAAAAAAA's.  Having only 3 clubs permitted at AAA level hasn't exactly worked so well... or has it?  Comparing California hockey to the rest of the country via myhockeyrankings is clearly a challenge in itself as well.[/size]

I guess everyone in SoCal complaining about the small number of AAA teams will get their wishes. On CAHA site today:

Boys

@NotTHATDad  ..... you're sure sounding like 'that guy'.  My guess is CAHA is trying to stop the bleeding out of California talented athletes to other destinations and give them something to chase...extra AAAAAAAAA's.  Having only 3 clubs permitted at AAA level hasn't exactly worked so well... or has it?  Comparing California hockey to the rest of the country via myhockeyrankings is clearly a challenge in itself as well.

notTHATdad:
AAA has to mean something.

The Reign (who I'm saying are not a bad idea... but marginal) have a 7-21-1 record against AAA teams that, frankly, mostly nobody has heard of, plus a few better-known-but-bad teams (Renegades, Bobcats, Sundevils...) . To their credit, they have been playing teams of their caliber mostly, and not getting stomped, which makes sense as a "growth" AAA org. It's a good strategy - stay away from the T1EHL teams, and the east coast monsters while you grow.

Can we afford as a state a team in that 'growth' state? Maybe. Probably.

Are there the horses to support 3? Forgetaboutit.  The players just aren't there.

AllEyesOnYou:
Well, AAA in California is merely AA/A/B hockey in many other destinations.   Found some intriguing posts on this subject from prior that might stir it up a bit even more, hope you can open and read these.

https://www.calhockey.com/index.php?topic=4391.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version