This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bantam A  (Read 74856 times)

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
Re: Bantam A weekend update Oct 2
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »
Wave 3 just beat Mariners 15-0 this morning taking their pre-season goal scoring to GF 58 GA 1 over 4 games.

Will SCAHA do anything? Nothing like putting politics ahead of the kids.

So let me get this straight... the rules are in place and the Club/team decides not to follow and it's SCAHA's fault?? They could have picked up a few home grown kids to qualify right? What am I missing??

No, a club still must have A teams to be able to ice AA teams.  No A teams equals no AA team.  It wouldn't matter if you met the PDR, you would need a waiver.

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 07:03:48 AM »
Wave 3 just beat Mariners 15-0 this morning taking their pre-season goal scoring to GF 58 GA 1 over 4 games.

So let me get this straight... the rules are in place and the Club/team decides not to follow and it's SCAHA's fault?? They could have picked up a few home grown kids to qualify right? What am I missing??

No, a club still must have A teams to be able to ice AA teams.  No A teams equals no AA team.  It wouldn't matter if you met the PDR, you would need a waiver.
You only need 3 B, BB, or A teams in any division to field tier teams. You do NOT need a feeder team to field a AA team.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
Re: Bantam A
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »
So what are the terms for getting a PDR waiver?

And how did the Ducks get veto power?

Why won't the Ducks scrimmage Wave 3? [size=78%]What are they afraid of?[/size]

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 02:09:55 PM »
Why don't they ask?

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »
So what are the terms for getting a PDR waiver?

And how did the Ducks get veto power?

Why won't the Ducks scrimmage Wave 3? [size=78%]What are they afraid of?[/size]

To Crash

Why did the Wave field a team knowing that it did not meet the PDR requirements?  How many players short were they from the 50%?  What Ducks team are you referring to for a game?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:14:09 PM by Panther Coach »

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »

You only need 3 B, BB, or A teams in any division to field tier teams. You do NOT need a feeder team to field a AA team.

That makes for a messed up evaluation.  Your good kid, we want you on the team but we have to go with Johnny local that has been skating for 6 months to meet the PDR.  Like every regulation ever passed in local hockey or Federal Government.  They sound great to the proponents but the unforeseen ramifications are always there.

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 04:20:43 PM »

They're a minor birth year team and I don't think they expected to make Playdowns in AA. they expected to be in AA, just not playoff eligible. Ducks don't like losing players.

That makes for a messed up evaluation.  Your good kid, we want you on the team but we have to go with Johnny local that has been skating for 6 months to meet the PDR.  Like every regulation ever passed in local hockey or Federal Government.  They sound great to the proponents but the unforeseen ramifications are always there.

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 05:09:24 PM »
All of this was discussed in AA thread when it happened, but to summarize. PDR was created to protect the clubs from losing players that follow a coach. Which, I agree is ridiculous! In this case, several AA players followed the coach from the Ducks that was released due to an alleged safe sport violation. Thus, the team ended up with less than 50% previous Wave players. The Ducks apparently pushed the issue, thus requiring them to drop down. They apparently did have an option to move back to AA but would not be eligible for playoffs. Or, stay at A and be eligible for a state championship in A. Parents did have to resign a new LOI when team dropped to A so was their choice in staying with the team. Not saying it's right but that's what happened.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »
That's about the most accurate and open minded explanation I've seen on here.

I would only add that WAVE 3 were offered to go back to AA, but the terms were horrible: 8 "exhibition" games, still not playoff eligible. And the games were one-offs, i.e. Vacantville for ONE game (not 4 like CAHA) San Jose for ONE game. No one would agree to that, so the offer was not in good faith.

A team like the Ducks, who lose players who follow a coach, should look in the mirror at its own program if it can't keep kids and coaches.

As for WAVE 3, stay tuned.

makeawish

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +23/-63
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 06:53:33 PM »
So how is it that the jr kings can have 2 midget aaa teams 15 and 16 when
they do not have a 16aa team. There was once a rule you had to have
A AA team to have aaa team. But I guess that does not go for the big 3
As they bend the rules as need it

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:28:17 AM by makeawish »

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »
That's about the most accurate and open minded explanation I've seen on here.

I would only add that WAVE 3 were offered to go back to AA, but the terms were horrible: 8 "exhibition" games, still not playoff eligible. And the games were one-offs, i.e. Vacantville for ONE game (not 4 like CAHA) San Jose for ONE game. No one would agree to that, so the offer was not in good faith.

A team like the Ducks, who lose players who follow a coach, should look in the mirror at its own program if it can't keep kids and coaches.

As for WAVE 3, stay tuned.

Totally agree! Bantam Minor is a development year and Wave 3 is looking at the future in the Major Division. They may have gotten screwed this year but next year they will have no problem reaching 50% PDR, or 25% for Tier 1. Plus Ontario Wave has a Bantam AA team this year that made up of over 50% 03's. Wave couldn't put get enough for a Tier 1 Major this year, but wouldn't bet against those odds for next year!

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 08:06:22 PM »

I'm confused as to how they can be eligible for playoffs in A but not AA? SCAHA has basically the same rules in place below. 

SECTION 24 - TEAM ELIGIBILITY

24.01 Block Recruitment occurs when more than the approved number of players from a final team roster in the previous season is rostered with a different club’s team in the new season. The team will not be included in the SCAHA schedule and will be ineligible for post-season playoffs. The approved numbers of players that may join a team from a different club’s previous season roster are as follows: Squirts – 5 players; Peewees, Bantams and Midgets – 6 players.

24.02 CAHA RULE - In order to be eligible for SCAHA and CAHA playoffs, Peewee, Bantam and Midget Tier II and ‘A’ level teams must meet the CAHA player development requirements (PDR).
Any team deemed ineligible for violating SCAHA or CAHA rules will not be included in the SCAHA schedule.

24.03 Any team deemed ineligible for violating SCAHA or CAHA rules will not be included in the SCAHA schedule.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:00:31 PM by OneandDone »

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
Thank you for the chapter and verse. There remains the mystery of the waiver. If these requirements can be waived, it looks like the aggrieved party (the Quackers) have the power to block the waiver, or are they in cahoots together. Are there any conflicts of interest that we know about or not know about?

Honestly, if the kids and parents want to play for a particular coach, I think it's their business and the team losing said players needs to look in the mirror. I understand that's not the rule, but that's my feeling based on perhaps incomplete knowledge.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »

I'm confused as to how they can be eligible for playoffs in A but not AA? SCAHA has basically the same rules in place below. 

SECTION 24 - TEAM ELIGIBILITY
Block Recruitment occurs when more than the approved number of players from a final team roster in the previous season is rostered with a different club’s team in the new season. The team will not be included in the SCAHA schedule and will be ineligible for post-season playoffs. The approved numbers of players that may join a team from a different club’s previous season roster are as follows: Squirts – 5 players; Peewees, Bantams and Midgets – 6 players.
CAHA RULE - In order to be eligible for SCAHA and CAHA playoffs, Peewee, Bantam and Midget Tier II and ‘A’ level teams must meet the CAHA player development requirements (PDR).
Any team deemed ineligible for violating SCAHA or CAHA rules will not be included in the SCAHA schedule.

I think you call it a  Cluster Puck

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »
Every club and every coach knows these rules.  I know for a fact that OCHC 16AA 1 and 2 had PDR problems during their tryouts and they had to take kids from one of teams and split them up so that both teams could make PDR.  In conclusion, the better of the two teams probably ended up less competitive but they both met PDR. 

My point is, they knew what they were getting into (or maybe they didn't) but they should get what they deserve (ignorance is no defense).  Make lemonade out of lemons... You guys are doing the opposite and blaming the league for your mistakes or ignorance. 

You could always play in AA tournaments and schedule tons of scrimmages and if you get ONE game in San Jose or Vacaville scheduled by the league as exhibition then maybe it would be wise to arrange another game or two (scrimmage) off the schedule to make it worth while when you're there. Or you can bitch and complain and just kick the crap out of everyone in A while driving an hour each way to watch your kids pound someone 16-0.

Take the 'A' route and my guess is you'll be behind the curve to the 03 teams that are taking their lumps in AA this year.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:14:04 PM by OneandDone »