This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: LAKHSL 2016/17  (Read 32441 times)

Portent

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +20/-7
Re: LAKHSL 2016/17
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the recap BB-Dad

peanut

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-3
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
A few things concern me about this league going forward:

What happens when the Kings drop the financial support after next season? $3K per year becomes $4? maybe $5? The Kings are currently covering equipment (jerseys, helmets, matching pants) probably refs, Black Dog TV coverage and who knows what rate they have bargained for for ice time.

Will teams need to cut some corners to make it affordable? How will the teams look with tattered, used jerseys or cheap ones. With no video coverage will there be any more highlights? Will a more expensive league draw more teams? At 10 teams now, I don't see many more starting up.

The age difference from a Freshman to a Senior seems problematic. I see too great of a size/ability level on the ice and it seems dangerous. I like the idea of the JV division but the level there is even more uneven and it must be frustrating to have so few teams.

Lastly, I don't see the level of play rising overall. The bottom teams are better thanks to improved goaltending but the top teams are getting sloppy and too dominated by individual play. Even games between the league leaders feature poor passing and players falling without contact regularly. I'm not sure that tracking and giving out individual awards at the end of the season is a great idea. Players grabbing 6 to 8 points a game in blowouts against the lower teams while teammates get 0 doesn't make the league better.

All in all, I applaud the Kings for the effort and the league is fun to take part in. But it will be a struggle to attract top players and become a talent level league that moves players on to upper levels with it's current state of affairs.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »
What is the cost of the Ducks HS league?

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
2800.00 per skater

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
I am not expert on this, but I think Burbank has a high school team. Beverly Hills had one that played out of Toyota. Don't know about next year.

You should know (I don't think this is a secret, but it's probably not common knowledge either) that ownership of Jr. Kings has moved from AIG to the actual Kings (this is a long, long story) and the way Kings and Ducks are taking over all the rinks (and Ducks planning new ones) I think HS hockey is a viable situation going forward

It may be able to attract some elite players who want more ice time, depending on scheduling. I will say travel hockey fees PLUS another $2800 would be pretty challenging for most people.

One thing Kings used to do well was their in-house hockey, basic jerseys, the old fashion polyester wool-style socks, and especially how they would adjust the teams after the first few games. Of course that worked because the teams all played out of one location.

Certainly worth exploring. Travel hockey beyond Pee Wee is a whole different animal and HS could be a good alternative / supplement.

Bantam B Dad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
The first LA KINGS High School Tournament seemed to be a success.  The Rally in The Valley had 7 teams in the Varsity Division and it ended up being very competitive.  While Santa Barbara won (as expected), East County gave them all they could handle.  The first time they met the Outlaws had the lead with about 4 minutes to play before they lost.  And in the Championship game it came down to a thrilling 3-2 victory for East County. Fox Sports was even there to cover it and it will be featured on an edition of Kings Weekly.  Prior to the final, the semi between East County and South County as another nail biter as that one went into OT with the Aviator goalie doing everything he could to put his team in the finals.  All in all it seemed like the kids had a really good time (and in the end that is what really counts, right?).  Great to see so many older kids who may not be AAA players continuing their Hockey careers. 

Bantam B Dad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
Year 2 of the LAKHSHL is wrapping up.  Playoffs are today with Kern County taking on West Ranch and Santa Barbara playing East County.  The winner face each other at Staples next Saturday.  The Kern/West Ranch Game should be a good one.  It will be streamed live on Blackdog if you are interested.  Solid 2nd season for the league. 

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »
The last couple HS games I watched were down right thugish.  Stupid penalty after stupid penalty.  Cross checks, head slaps and boarding.  The leagues is devolving not evolving.  The coaches do nothing to control the game.

Bantam B Dad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
There are 2 teams in the league that play that style and they had a playoff game on Sunday.  The rest of the teams play a fairly clean style of play. 

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
What teams would they be?

Bantam B Dad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
It wasn't Santa Barbara or East County....

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »
So Valencia & Bakersfield ! So why not just call them out?

peanut

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-3
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »
Have watched a lot of games this year and wouldn't pin point West Ranch or Kern as more thuggish than others. Santa Barbara and East County had their share of issues. Unfortunately, you could say that the physical style makes for winning hockey in this league.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »
Have watched a lot of games this year and wouldn't pin point West Ranch or Kern as more thuggish than others. Santa Barbara and East County had their share of issues. Unfortunately, you could say that the physical style makes for winning hockey in this league.

Head slaps, cross checking a downed player, flipping the net over on the goalie and punches are not "physical style" nor does it in anyway aid in a win.  There was not physical intimidation via checking, it was gangsta.

peanut

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-3
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »
Which team are you referring to?