This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: New Bantam AA program in Valencia  (Read 35735 times)

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
Re: New Bantam AA program in Valencia
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Buyer beware.  I am hearing from a CAHA connected person that Valencia has not received a a PDR exemption to take Riptide kids.  Apparently there has not even been a formal request for one.  Don't get caught with your pants down next weekend.

CAHA connected as in on the Board or friends of a friend type connected? :-)

hockey44

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-9
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
all this talk of a Waiver, but no one is able to provide proof...

The waiver does not currently exist. Valencia believes that it can satisfy the PDR with returning Flyer players.

To be honest, I can't see CAHA granting the waiver under the circumstances. CAHA set up the Riptide to move to the Mariners with the earlier waiver. I don't think that the departure of the head of the Mariners' tier II program to another rink for a better job gets you a waiver. In fact, I think that is what the PDR is designed to stop.

But it's entirely possible that Valencia could meet the PDR thru returning players if they pull up 03 kids from 2015/16 PWA to 2016/2017 BNAA...not ideal, but not unprecedented and it may be the only option when the dust settles here. But it means fewer open roster spots than some may be expecting.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:05 AM »
I'm going there because of the coach.  He seems to have a real passion for getting the kids on the ice and getting them in shape.  They're talking about 5 hours a week on ice plus an hour before each practice doing dryland.  That's the kind of thing that gets my attention.

To put this in perspective.  I've been sold "great" programs before that did not materialize.  This is just my first impression.  It may not turn out so rosy, but for right now, it seems like good option for me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:34:48 AM by Landshark »

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
It helped me figure out the transition.  Thanks.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 11:43:17 AM »
No bone to pick on this one, but you don't have to be a part of SCAHA or CAHA, right?  At the tier level there will be 12-15 less games this year.  If the club is a part of the governing body, do all of their teams need to be associated? How can you have a tryout if you can't field the team? 

It is a great facility and the good hockey people of Santa Clarita have suffered for years.  I wish them the best of luck.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:44:32 AM by Hockey05 »

HockeyDadx3

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +54/-24
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 02:33:01 PM »
I'm going there because of the coach.  He seems to have a real passion for getting the kids on the ice and getting them in shape.  They're talking about 5 hours a week on ice plus an hour before each practice doing dryland.  That's the kind of thing that gets my attention.

To put this in perspective.  I've been sold "great" programs before that did not materialize.  This is just my first impression.  It may not turn out so rosy, but for right now, it seems like good option for me.

If your son/daughter ends up at Valencia playing for Ryan or Pavel you wont be disappointed. I had a kid play for each of them this season and it was definitely the most development they have had in 6 and 7 years of hockey. Hopefully, the PDR issue is resolved and the Riptide kids can play for their coaches from last season and kids at Valencia (including new players from other clubs) will get the chance to play for 2 outstanding coaches. Even if they end up only running an A team, kids at Valencia will still benefit from being on the ice with those guys.

FYC69

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-0
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »
Please see attached link for PDR
http://www.riptideicehockey.com/

Goaliedad32

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-10
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 11:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the info. FYC69

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 08:22:06 AM »
Please see attached link for PDR
http://www.riptideicehockey.com/

Well. that answers that!

BarryM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-36
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
Wow this made for some great conversation at practice last night.

So Flyers to field teams have to get waivers for the following

1) For "AA" level teams, a team's roster MUST have a minimum of 50% of its players from within its member association from the prior season (this update to the rule for this level passed at the 1/23/16 CAHA Meeting

2) The approved numbers of players that may join a team from a different Club's previous season roster are as follows: Squirts - 5 players; PeeWees, Bantams and Midget - 6 players.

As of now the flyers do not have the waivers, and have not even tried to get? Basically they have been told by Ben Cohen from the riptide that when he had talked to somebody at scaha months ago it should not be a problem.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »
Someone from SCAHA saying the waivers shouldn't be a problem is not very reassuring.  Anyone contemplating trying out for Valencia AA better be prepared to play A if the waivers aren't approved. 

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »
I'm curious... Has anyone actually seen the waiver from Simi? I'm late to the party, so i may have missed it.

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »
Oh my heaven forbid your child play A hockey.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 02:53:42 PM »
Oh my heaven forbid your child play A hockey.
:) :) :)

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:14 AM »
After doing my own investigation into the waiver matter with CAHA, Riptide and the Flyers, it appears the truth lies someplace in the middle of two sides.

No waiver has be offered by CAHA.  As of 5/24, no waiver has yet been requested.  According to CAHA a waiver is not an automatic and there is the possibility that it would not be granted.

Talking further to the parties involved and those pursuing this, action is now being taken pre evaluation to clear up the matter.  There appears to be a good likelihood that a waiver would be granted based on past requests by the Riptide and other teams.