This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: AAU  (Read 84506 times)

B-Real

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
Re: AAU
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2017, 07:26:36 PM »
#4 BobbyOrr you say they have changed the rule. Can you please tell me where this changed rule is written. I have not read anywhere where the rule is written differently than what has been discussed. I have heard peoples interpretation of the rule but still see it written (u8)
 I am not sure of SCAHAs interpretation of (u8). Or the reason why they chose this year to enforce their "new rule" of no 8yr olds playing up but it seems to me they didn't do a very good job of letting the parents know. It would be very easy to send out emails or have a new rule change for 8yr olds listed on their website but it is not. Something doesn't seem right. Why not write the rule stating you can't play Squirts until your 9. Thanks in advance for any info.

B-Real

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »
Worth noting rule 6.15 of CAHA (which supersedes Scaha) states 8U players in their last season may play up. I think anyone that would appeal this rule would win. Scaha can't make rules that differ from Caha unless approved by the Board of directors.  I'm going to look into this,  I think every 09 player should that wants a tryout for Squirts.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
The SCAHA meeting minutes from last may show the rule change (scroll down to page 3):

http://scaha.com/minutes/2SCAHA%20Minutes_5_11_16_for%20posting.pdf

I actually explored the CAHA preeminence rules also.  I had an email exchange with Laura Cahn from the CAHA Youth Council, which I have posted below.  I doubt any 09 parent wants their kid to play up more than I would like to see mine.  I think he is ready and I think I should have a say in the matter.  However, I think I have reached acceptance in the "stages of grief" over this because I doubt there is anything we can do to change it in time for our kids to play up next year.  We can bark at the moon about it but that won't do us any good so why bother.

Here is the email exchange:

On Mar 31, 2017, at 8:24 PM, XXXXXX> wrote:
Dear Laura,
The CAHA website lists rule changes for next year but it says those are not the only rule changes, only the changes necessary for immediate release.  Do you know when the other rule changes will be announced and do you know if any of the changes affect the mite to squirt player up rules? Currently according to the CAHA guidebook a last year mite can play squirt.

Thanks,

XXXXX

Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 8:36 PM
 To: XXXXXX>
 Subject: Re: CAHA rule changes

Hi XXXXX. Yes, CAHA allows a mite to play Squirt if he/she is in their last year of that age division.
Scaha may have a rule (I'm assuming you're with a SoCal club) that doesn't allow this so you may want to check with them.

Hope that helps,

Laura Cahn

CAHA Youth Council Chairperson

On Mar 31, 2017, at 8:51 PM, XXXXXX> wrote:
Yes I am a SCAHA club member parent, thank you for the quick response. SCAHA in fact has issued a rule that states that starting next year no mite age player may play up but both the SCAHA and CAHA guidebooks state that SCAHA must adopt CAHA’s rules and regulations and that CAHA’s rules take precedence.  SCAHA’s rule seems to be in conflict with CAHA’s, which in my reading means that CAHA’s rule should take precedence. Am I mistaken in understanding how CAHA’s preeminence works and would appealing this be an avenue worth pursuing?
XXXX

Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 9:05 PM
 To:XXXXX>
 Subject: Re: CAHA rule changes

The local leagues (Scaha and NorCal) have the right to make rules more stringent than CAHA but not more lenient.

Therefore, scaha adopting that rule is appropriate and would most likely be upheld by the State under appeal.

Take care,

Laura Cahn
 CAHA Youth Council Chairperson

09 Dad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-20
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2017, 10:03:46 PM »
Worth noting rule 6.15 of CAHA (which supersedes Scaha) states 8U players in their last season may play up. I think anyone that would appeal this rule would win. Scaha can't make rules that differ from Caha unless approved by the Board of directors.  I'm going to look into this,  I think every 09 player should that wants a tryout for Squirts.

SCAHA's Rule 17.01 says "SCAHA has the authority to enact any rules or regulations that do not conflict with USA Hockey or CAHA rules, regulations or policies." 

Notably, there is nothing in there about "more lenient/more strict"

CAHA has a rule specifically allowing kids in their final year of an age category to play up.  (CAHA 6.15) 
SCAHA's new rule 19.04 disallowing final year mites from playing up certainly "conflicts" with that CAHA rule.
I would then say the new Rule is beyond SCAHA's authority (under it's own Rule 17.01 which prohibits making rules that conflict with CAHA rules).

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
That could be true but CAHA will still say no and then what is the next step? A lawsuit?  I would think that any court would give CAHA broad latitude to define what constitutes a conflict in their rules.  I would doubt a court would call this a conflict, mainly because it is more strict than the CAHA rule and CAHA doesn't care. 

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2017, 10:23:29 PM »
You guys taking lawyers with you to tryouts?

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »

SCAHA's Rule 17.01 says "SCAHA has the authority to enact any rules or regulations that do not conflict with USA Hockey or CAHA rules, regulations or policies." 

Notably, there is nothing in there about "more lenient/more strict"

CAHA has a rule specifically allowing kids in their final year of an age category to play up.  (CAHA 6.15) 
SCAHA's new rule 19.04 disallowing final year mites from playing up certainly "conflicts" with that CAHA rule.
I would then say the new Rule is beyond SCAHA's authority (under it's own Rule 17.01 which prohibits making rules that conflict with CAHA rules).

I know if my son was destined for "the show" I would stop at nothing to make sure he played up as a mite.  I would get a dream team of lawyers and take it all the way. 

You never know how much that 8 year old will develop in a season of playing up as a mite.  It could be the difference in being a first round draft pick right?

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2017, 10:32:42 PM »
You guys taking lawyers with you to tryouts?

No just my mortgage broker

09 Dad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-20
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »

I know if my son was destined for college, I would not want some overzealous parent volunteers making a rule saying he had to repeat the 2nd grade for no reason.

I know if my son was destined for "the show" I would stop at nothing to make sure he played up as a mite.  I would get a dream team of lawyers and take it all the way. 
You never know how much that 8 year old will develop in a season of playing up as a mite.  It could be the difference in being a first round draft pick right?

B-Real

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
I guess it's easier to put us all in a box that way no one has to do anything right? I think its fair to say that we all agree that some mite players are worthy of playing up. I am sure that is why the rule was implemented in the first place. So why take that right away? No one has a reasonable explanation. They say safety. Well if our child isn't ready shouldn't that be determined at tryouts? As for people that think we are doing this for our egos or think our child is the second coming of the Great one. I say what benefit will my son gain from a 3rd season of track 1? Would you spend the money to have him learn the sane drills for a 3rd year because someone who doesn't know my child thinks its best. I've watched my child grow as a better hockey player in his first year of track 1 because all the kids were better than him  Then I watched him plateau the 2nd year when our club decided to pllay to the middle and combine the track 1 and track 2 teams for practice. He was bored. You should be rewarded for putting in the hard work. You definitely shouldn't have your rights taken away. That's what my argument is. A written rule is a rule. The way it written. U8 means under 8 no matter what was meant. #4 Thaks for the info but I wonder if asked can Laura tell you when the Scaha rule was brought up in fron of the Board of directors? When was this approved because they should have a record of it. Okay that's all for now I need to take my Great One to Power skating class.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
I suggest you print out this thread and save it so when your son is a Bantam IF he is still playing hockey, you can take it out and read it for a good chuckle.

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
Why play up ? Can't you enjoy watching your sons or daughters have fun.

Fun 1[/size].[/color]

enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure.

( or is that long gone by now)
 They are 7 & 8.  Stop living thur them and just enjoy the short time that still want to be around you. Which for some I can promise its too late.

B-Real

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »
Why can't anyone tell me why it's so important to keep these kids from playing up? Instead I get ignorant opinions about me.

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »
Cause there is not point,
What is the hurry ?

Reasons why not ?

They are not as good as you think they are and a 10 yr old will hurt them in the boards.
You really want your 8yr with locker room talk from the older players.
They at 8 do not know how to block shots and the gear is youth side not Jr.
They have no idea who to go into the corners properly( heads down, ( your superstar is not exception) they go with their heads down and they are going to get hurt.
Oh and maybe we wont enjoy it ( have you even asked your kid) odds are no.  He will develop with players he will skate with for the next 5 or 6 years, 

Maybe cause you will never listen to what anyones says, Anyways so do what ever you want, But do not ask if you do not want a answers you do not like.  Stop living thur your kids.

There is a fine line between crazy parent and not involved- you have already crossed over to the dark side. 

Why dont  you listen to people who have been thru it already.

I could ask you whats the rush?

B-Real

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »
You had me listening until you felt the need to bash me as person/ parent. Nothing to learn here. Thanks for your time.