This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: How come no physical required for travel hockey?  (Read 12635 times)

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
How come no physical required for travel hockey?
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »
Does anyone know why a physical is required for high school athletics but not travel hockey?  Perhaps it is just big government putting their fingers in school athletics.  Do private schools also require a physical? Just curious.

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
Re: How come no physical required for travel hockey?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
Its a way for high schools to cover thier a $$es from getting sued.  No youth sports require physicals.. little league, AYSO, pop warner... none require physicals.  Its up to the parents to make sure thier kid is ready to play.

4 The Kids

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-4
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:50:35 AM »
SMHS requires physicals for all sports.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »
Does anyone know why a physical is required for high school athletics but not travel hockey?  Perhaps it is just big government putting their fingers in school athletics.  Do private schools also require a physical? Just curious.
IH, do you long for the days of someone making you cough ???

Puckdaddy

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +4/-9
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »

I believe that the California Titans require physicals for the 16AAA and 18AAA teams (although they are conducted by the player's personal physician)

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »
Nothing new about HS sports physicals.    I had one when I first played played HS football in 1953!!!   It was probably a CIF requirement not something mandated from DC.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »
Because most of the kids would fail. :-)

Most parents think the sport is the training, rather than training for the sport.

IMHO the best sport to prepare for hockey is swimming. A thousand times more efficient than soccer.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »
Because most of the kids would fail. :-)

Most parents think the sport is the training, rather than training for the sport.

IMHO the best sport to prepare for hockey is swimming. A thousand times more efficient than soccer.

As the father of two competitive swimmers, one also a soccer player, as well as a hockey player, I tend to agree.   Soccer helps with tactics but roller is better.  Because soccer is so slow compared to hockey, it helps kids grasp the concept of "dead space" in 2v1 situations. Swimming is fantastic for upper body development with younger kids who should not be doing weights.   Swimming also helps with large muscle coordination, especially fly and breast, and endurance.    Our hockey player swims laps in the summer with me.   Can't say that it helps him on the ice but it does use different muscles.   

Why are you so keen on swimming?    There could be a whole good discussion on what other sports contribute to the development of a hockey player aside from the fun of playing them.

It might be a good team building process to have a pre or post season soccer tournament for hockey teams.    Maybe even the Wildcats could win some games.   Nah.   

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
1. Lung capacity. My son tested at 99%.

2. It develops all those weird muscles you never think about but hurt when you come out of a scrum in the corner.

3. Efficient, non impact.

4.  Solo sport you can do for life all over the world.

He loves water polo but that is probably over as he dislocated his shoulder in hockey.

Blasko

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 05:44:05 AM »
Its a way for high schools to cover thier a $$es from getting sued.  No youth sports require physicals.. little league, AYSO, pop warner... none require physicals.  Its up to the parents to make sure thier kid is ready to play.
True, that's the way it should be though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:59:58 AM by Blasko »

VictorBrown

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-1
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 12:18:39 AM »
Does anyone know why a physical is required for high school athletics but not travel hockey?  Perhaps it is just big government putting their fingers in school athletics. I know but over the counter phentermine works really fast Do private schools also require a physical? Just curious.
I think physical is required for private schools also. The government is doing this for the goodwill of the people so that the children must be in good shape. I think it is important.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:45:14 AM by VictorBrown »

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 06:45:04 PM »

Just a guess, but probably because high school hockey is not an official high school sport. It does not have CIF designation, which probably requires the physical.

Hockey has a very tenuous relationship with the public high schools. In some cases around us team have had to sort of 'go underground' because the teams have essentially been given 'cease and desist' messages from the school to stop using school names, etc. As far as I can tell, most public high school teams, if they are associated with a school, are associated as a 'club'. My son's team is such, and was listed next to the chess club, the astronomy club, etc. Unfortunately, the school then decided that sports clubs actually went against the rules as well, so they eliminated them all.

This is at least partially because of legal reasons. High school sports have to guarantee staff presence, must provide transportation, must practice on campus, etc. None of this is possible for hockey here.

So the question is probably not 'why aren't physicals required', because the requirement is likely part of CIF, and it isn't a CIF sport.

AntonioGenao

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 06:53:45 AM »
Does anyone know if there are any legal steroids available on the market and why a physical is required for high school athletics but not travel hockey?  Perhaps it is just big government putting their fingers in school athletics.  Do private schools also require a physical? Just curious.

Just a guess, but probably because high school hockey is not an official high school sport. It does not have CIF designation, which probably requires the physical.

Hockey has a very tenuous relationship with the public high schools. In some cases around us team have had to sort of 'go underground' because the teams have essentially been given 'cease and desist' messages from the school to stop using school names, etc. As far as I can tell, most public high school teams, if they are associated with a school, are associated as a 'club'. My son's team is such, and was listed next to the chess club, the astronomy club, etc. Unfortunately, the school then decided that sports clubs actually went against the rules as well, so they eliminated them all.

This is at least partially because of legal reasons. High school sports have to guarantee staff presence, must provide transportation, must practice on campus, etc. None of this is possible for hockey here.

So the question is probably not 'why aren't physicals required', because the requirement is likely part of CIF, and it isn't a CIF sport.

Players were required to arrive at the rink in full gear; locker rooms were closed, building entry was limited to one parent per player
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:16:03 AM by AntonioGenao »