This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Concussion Testing  (Read 8417 times)

4 check

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-40
Concussion Testing
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:23:47 PM »
My son played high school hockey last year and it was mandatory that every player had a baseline test, the test was a basic computer test, I just had him baseline tested again this year, but at a rehab facility in South Orange County.
This test had a couple balance machines, eyes open and closed, some of the things were harder than others but very different than anything I've seen in the past.
He also took the computer test as part of the package.
Are any teams and or clubs having the kids baselined or is it only high school and tier players are on their own?

JustAnotherHockeyParent

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-4
Re: Concussion Testing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 03:18:13 AM »
I received an advertisement for this product, Neuroshield, only available in Canada at the moment, that claims to offer head protection. Does anyone know of anyone using it? And any expert thoughts on whether it would be helpful or if there are other solutions out there? Here is their product website: neuroshield.ca.

(font changed by moderator)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:35:51 AM by Moderator »

Falcons Hockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-18
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
The problem with baseline testing is that nobody is controlling it.

You get it done once and maybe twice but it's simply a check box on USA Hockey's "we look after the player" list.

There is never any correlation or required checking one season over the other nor is there any reference to the test if a player actually does sustain a possible concussion

4 check

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-40
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
The problem with baseline testing is that nobody is controlling it.

You get it done once and maybe twice but it's simply a check box on USA Hockey's "we look after the player" list.

There is never any correlation or required checking one season over the other nor is there any reference to the test if a player actually does sustain a possible concussion

We don't do it because we are mandated, we do it for our son, as I said in my original post there are facilities that do in depth testing...and if you question if your child has a concussion you take them back to that facility and have them retested, it costs some money but you only get one brain.

The basic stuff that High School is doing is more for insurance (lawsuits)