This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: SCAHA Camp  (Read 22737 times)

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
SCAHA Camp
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »
Any updates, observations, intrigue, etc. from today's SCAHA camp?

I'll start with some. 

I thought the difference between AAA and AA players was very noticeable.

I thought the level of goatending was below the level of skaters.

Who were the evaluators?  I only recognized one AA coach.  The head coaches from the major clubs were noticeably absent.  I overheard someone say that many were parent coaches.  That sounds scary.

In The Crease

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +38/-12
Re: SCAHA Camp
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »
Any updates, observations, intrigue, etc. from today's SCAHA camp?

I'll start with some. 

I thought the difference between AAA and AA players was very noticeable.

I thought the level of goatending was below the level of skaters.

Who were the evaluators?  I only recognized one AA coach.  The head coaches from the major clubs were noticeably absent.  I overheard someone say that many were parent coaches.  That sounds scary.

Couple observations:
- Agree with you on the evaluators.  I didn't recognize any of them. 
- Ice was poor, dip in middle of rink, and chunks of ice causing kids to fall and bouncing puck.  That said they all had to deal, just thought they could have done better job for such an event.
- Would have liked there to have been more games or longer, perhaps stop time instead of run time.
-  I think for both the 2003 and 2002 age groups, I feel bad some teams with really good talent (like Ducks and Wave Art) were absent and missed the opportunity.  The fact they didn't move on at Silver Sticks makes it even more disappointing.
- There always seems to be that kid that jumps his place in line, not sure if evaluators even notice or if that hurts or helps their case....  Other kids get pissed.  Same kid is probably the one that doesn't let the goaltender play the puck during pick up...  LOL
- Good comment on the goaltending.  I did think a couple stood out that were very good.
- I think it is so hard to evaluate defense.  Again a few stood out to me.  One defenceman from King 02 AAA and a couple from Wave Midget AA.  If they just play good defense, not so noticeable, if they try to carry the puck end to end, then it isn't really typical of a normal game.  And at least on the Defensive side, I would flip your comment on the AAA and AA kids.  Some of the AAA defenseman looked way over their head.  Not that some AA and others didn't....   [size=78%]

All in all, I don't envy the evaluators.  Such a difficult position and task.  There was a lot of quality kids, and someone who deserves to move on will not move on to the next round.[/size]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:52:58 PM by In The Crease »

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »
[size=0px]" I think for both the 2003 and 2002 age groups, I feel bad some teams with really good talent (like Ducks and Wave Art) were absent and missed the opportunity. " [/size]

[size=0px]We watched this just to see what it was about( again we are 07). [/size]
[size=0px] The 03 group did not have one purple helmet out there.  So I am guessing that team did not even go or blew it off ?  Not sure you can field a team with out those kids. I am sure many parents were very happy that the 03 Kings, Ducks and Wave.[/size]
[size=0px] Seems kinda pointless to have a teams and players at this event who really have no business playing. Not to be mean but it really is not a true sense of the players out of Southern California. [/size]
[size=0px]Or am i wrong which could be. [/size]

In The Crease

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +38/-12
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
[size=0px]" I think for both the 2003 and 2002 age groups, I feel bad some teams with really good talent (like Ducks and Wave Art) were absent and missed the opportunity. " [/size]

[size=0px]We watched this just to see what it was about( again we are 07). [/size]
[size=0px] The 03 group did not have one purple helmet out there.  So I am guessing that team did not even go or blew it off ?  Not sure you can field a team with out those kids. I am sure many parents were very happy that the 03 Kings, Ducks and Wave.[/size]
[size=0px] Seems kinda pointless to have a teams and players at this event who really have no business playing. Not to be mean but it really is not a true sense of the players out of Southern California. [/size]
[size=0px]Or am i wrong which could be. [/size]

Great Point!  Your right the 03 Kings are ranked top 3 in the nation and were out of town.

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »
Supposedly won that tourney as well.

Shut Your 5-Hole

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +16/-6
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
Come on, you think the 03 AAA Kings are going away that easy?  This is CA hockey and the "politics" on that team, im sure CAHA has 5 to 6 spots reserved (or more) for that team alone. They are too good to pay the $100 something dollars for the first round like everyone else... Relax  8) you will see them most likely in the 2nd round or in the district finals ...

BTW, the first round results have been posted... Thoughts anyone?   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:18:39 AM by Shut Your 5-Hole »

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 10:41:35 AM »
It isn't what I agree with, but I bet the whole team gets a bye.

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »
In looking at results from NORCAL & SCAHA, it's good to know that even though the election is over, politics is alive and well in California Youth Hockey.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
All in all, I don't envy the evaluators.  Such a difficult position and task.  There was a lot of quality kids, and someone who deserves to move on will not move on to the next round

Evaluation does seem like a difficult and syrange process.  And I  would venture to guess some politics are involved.

My son was disappointed to miss the camp. Last year he advanced to CAHA before being cut.  He seemed to fail to "impress " the evaluators.   He felt redememtion when a scout from the BCHL invited him , as an 02, to play on an 01 tournament team.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »

All in all, I don't envy the evaluators.  Such a difficult position and task.  There was a lot of quality kids, and someone who deserves to move on will not move on to the next round

Evaluation does seem like a difficult and syrange process.  And I  would venture to guess some politics are involved.

My son was disappointed to miss the camp. Last year he advanced to CAHA before being cut.  He seemed to fail to "impress " the evaluators.   He felt redememtion when a scout from the BCHL invited him , as an 02, to play on an 01 tournament team.

Agree.  For good or bad, I don't think many of the evaluators actually knew the players.   

dionnefan

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +18/-9
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 03:12:59 PM »
It isn't what I agree with, but I bet the whole team gets a bye.

I was told you don't show you're not considered which means Ducks, Kings, Wave, Etc. are SOL.

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:50:06 PM »
pretty new to this, but have heard, and know of, kids who are given "the pass" by people at usa hockey.  not sure it's happened at the state level, but kids have been invited to the district level without having skated at the local (norcal/socal) or state (caha) camps...

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
pretty new to this, but have heard, and know of, kids who are given "the pass" by people at usa hockey.  not sure it's happened at the state level, but kids have been invited to the district level without having skated at the local (norcal/socal) or state (caha) camps...

,I think more then 1 day should be in question, maybe 3 ice times and you must make 2 of them to be considered. But is what it is, everyone should have to tryout.
 But the bad side of this, 
It does give the kids who make the team a false sense of how good they really are in California  and a untrue statement on the talent level for Southern California. But I do feel that no one should ever get a free pass.

I dont know anyone on the lists or where to look. So if you took the 03 All star team in California ( with the top 03 kids selected) would that team compete with the 03 Kings.
I see alot of comments with the word politics ( whats that refer to )

Does not everyone pay the same. or is it something else I am missing ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:15:03 PM by Oilers1966 »

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 04:38:09 PM »
I don't think an 03 all star team would hang with the Kings. As for this camp, the kings 03'a that are interested will skate next year and all will work itself out then.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »
I don't think an 03 all star team could hang with the 03 Kings, although there are some strong 03's that don't play for the Kings. 

We won't see any of the players who skipped the camp at the next level.  However, there are players who were injured, registered for but could not attend the camp, and made it to the CAHA level this year.  Same thing last year, including one player who was injured at CAHA, could not attend, and made it to the Western Regional camp in Colorado.