This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: 2017 AAA  (Read 8625 times)

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
2017 AAA
« on: December 21, 2016, 10:23:42 PM »
I incorrectly heard that CAHA was changing rules to allow more than 5 AAA teams per birth year in the state.  The request for tier 1 participation is January 15, 50% PDR at all age levels but 18. 
I have heard the PDR will be dropping for AA to 25%. 
Is anyone happy with CAHA keeping status quo at tier 1?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:33:15 PM by Hockey05 »

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
Re: 2017 AAA
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
I know nothing. But imo relaxing the tier II is an improvement in adding some flexibility for those trying to field teams and those trying to get placed on teams (happens every year and not a lot of fun for either side). There are potentially lots of players at this level. Open competition will create the best result.  Cut the league to top 16 or so teams after enough preseason results.  It's a long season, please try harder to get this right.

Tier I, understand they are trying to keep it strong for national notoriety, but there does seem to be room at some birth years for another team in So Cal and maybe Nor Cal.  More teams would make it a little less concentrated, but the variety is more interesting/exciting and at least begins to justify the high cost.  Overall poll now at this level, more $$, fewer (albeit better) games (but mostly against same opponents), too much 4 day travel across country to play similar talent = more than is appropriate for the players to be out of school. 

I know, "Is what it is" and will probably continue - it's California hockey; more disappointing each year for parents, but still lots of fun for the kiddo so we continue to find the budget as long as he finds it so. Each year a few "optimists" will move out of state or over to the Private HS league as others lateral over to other HS leagues or find another less drive time/$ consuming sport to play, leaving fewer legit club players in the system.  And the reality is that only a handful out of hundreds will be playing past HS years (except yours of course).  In the stands, except for some HS games, it will still only be the parents who come to watch.  The end game void will come sooner than it seems now.  Plan ahead.

On the bright side, the new rinks in OC should help get the sport more noticed there.  Let's be honest, NO ONE enjoys going to warehouse rinks.  Nicer (and closer) facilities like back East are needed.  Build it and they will come.  And produce some Tier I tourneys here out West.

Again, I know nothing.   Just a dumb parent here for another year of temporary entertainment. 
Merry Christmas everyone!!  Hug each other a lot!!!  Nothing better than that.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
Re: 2017 AAA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
AAA for 2017 is posted on CAHA. 
The only two clubs at all age groups in the LA area that received AAA teams are the Titans and the Wildcats.  These are both at the 16 and 18 age groups.