This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PEEWEE AA how much is to much ? About $23,000 collected for team fees !  (Read 26654 times)

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
Re: PEEWEE AA how much is to much ? About $23,000 collected for team fees !
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »
Yes, $1300 for coaches xmas gifts is ludicrous unless the coaches are giving expensive gifts back.  They're already getting paid plenty and hockey is expensive enough.  Our team just does individual gifts if they want to and most who do, give a small gift card, a bottle of this or that, but not mandatory $1300.  That's like my fellow employees and I being told we have to get our boss some super expensive xmas gift. Not gonna happen...

4 check

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-40
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
The $1300+ was the amount collected and given in  gifts for the coaches. Its not to much to ask for verification on expenses is it not microsoft word spread sheets with appox. Costs for tournrys played last year. Thanks for all your responses i appreciate it . As i stated in another post this team we were part of is in play downs . My player made the choice not to participate!

That is to bad, I have older kids and you will find the play downs are not always guaranteed so you don't want to miss them when you get there.

OnePuck

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »
Team funds: $23,000 / $1,353 per player (17 player roster)

Approx. tournament cost: $1,700 per team x (5) tournaments = $8,500
(3) Coaches x (3) out of state tournaments flights using $400 avg. cost = $3,600
(3) Coaches x (3) hotel rooms at an avg. cost of $600 = $5,400
(3) Out of state tournaments - rental car for the coaches, assuming they only need one standard car = $500
(3) Coaches paid $50 per day for food x (3) tournaments which are (3) days each = $1,350
Total above: $19,350
Remaining balance: $3,650

Assuming the cost for practice ice is $350 per hour, your remaining balance would cover about 10 extra practices.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask your team manager to keep receipts and an expense sheet. I suggest you ask your club what their rules are regarding this issue and if none exists propose that they create the rule/guideline that the teams must follow.

Every club is managed differently. How much are your club fees? Do you know what that money pays for?  It’s not uncommon for families to pay for play-downs and state championships. Some clubs will pay for all or some of the play-downs/championships fees out of their general funds. Are your coaches paid or are they volunteers? $1,300 for coach’s gifts for (3) coaches works out to $75 per family and $25 per coach from each family. If your coaches are not paid, I don’t think this is unreasonable. If they are paid, then I do think this is a lot of money for a gift.

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »

(3) Coaches x (3) out of state tournaments flights using $400 avg. cost = $3,600
(3) Out of state tournaments - rental car for the coaches, assuming they only need one standard car = $500
(3) Coaches paid $50 per day for food x (3) tournaments which are (3) days each = $1,350

Assuming the cost for practice ice is $350 per hour, your remaining balance would cover about 10 extra practices.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask your team manager to keep receipts and an expense sheet. I suggest you ask your club what their rules are regarding this issue and if none exists propose that they create the rule/guideline that the teams must follow.

Every club is managed differently. How much are your club fees? Do you know what that money pays for?  It’s not uncommon for families to pay for play-downs and state championships. Some clubs will pay for all or some of the play-downs/championships fees out of their general funds. Are your coaches paid or are they volunteers? $1,300 for coach’s gifts for (3) coaches works out to $75 per family and $25 per coach from each family. If your coaches are not paid, I don’t think this is unreasonable. If they are paid, then I do think this is a lot of money for a gift.

Another thing to consider is the manager (usually a kids Mom or Dad)  may get a stipend, which can burn up a few more bucks of team fund.   Also, one year at State tourney our Club bought all the kids a sweatshirt with their # and all the names of team on back which was pretty cool. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:36:29 AM by Maverick »

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:47 AM »

Every club is managed differently. How much are your club fees? Do you know what that money pays for?  It’s not uncommon for families to pay for play-downs and state championships. Some clubs will pay for all or some of the play-downs/championships fees out of their general funds. Are your coaches paid or are they volunteers? $1,300 for coach’s gifts for (3) coaches works out to $75 per family and $25 per coach from each family. If your coaches are not paid, I don’t think this is unreasonable. If they are paid, then I do think this is a lot of money for a gift]

Another thing to consider is the manager (usually a kids Mom or Dad)  may get a stipend, which can burn up a few more bucks of team fund.   Also, one year at State tourney our Club bought all the kids a sweatshirt with their # and all the names of team on back which was pretty cool.
Killer of goose.
 My wife and I. Have managed our 07s team for 4 years.  My 04 has played 6 years. We have never taken nor expected a stepid ($$).  Being a manager, as been said previously a is a very tough job. Trying to balance egos/expectations of parents with different personalities (at least 25% needs to be on meds) is a daunting task.  That being said, I don't know of one manager/parent coach getting compensation.  You club/team may be different.  If your manager expects a stepid, I would think twice about being in that managers team.  Might be a deeper problem,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:13:18 AM by trans4761 »

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »

I've also never heard of a manager getting a stipend or other compensation - It's a thankless job.  I guess if it's discussed ahead of time and agreed to by all parents that would be OK but maybe that's what was going on with this team since they were refusing to provide proof of where the money was going.  I also heard that they had unqualified (could barely skate - beginner beer league hockey) Dads coaching that were getting paid and adding to the cost of tourneys and road trips.  When it was brought to MLs attention, he agreed and they were removed.  The minute ML left for THA, they returned to the ice and began being paid again.  My son has been on teams with dad coaches who swung a gate, but they never got paid - even on the road.  There are obviously some very qualified dad coaches which is a different story.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
I've managed for 5 years, and have never received a stipend or a discount, and, more often than not, have ended the season substantially out of pocket.  Other teams, clubs or manages maybe different, but I have never heard of a manager getting a stipend or discount. 

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
I have managed teams for five years and have never received stipend, cut in fees, etc. and have only ever wound up on the short side, having to pay for the families who request photos, videos, meals, activities, etc. but forget to pay.

You likely have a treasurer in charge of the money, one unrelated to coaches or manager. This treasurer should share the budget and be able to address any questions.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
I have managed teams for five years and have never received stipend, cut in fees, etc. and have only ever wound up on the short side, having to pay for the families who request photos, videos, meals, activities, etc. but forget to pay.

You likely have a treasurer in charge of the money, one unrelated to coaches or manager. This treasurer should share the budget and be able to address any questions.
"Forget to pay".....classic.
A few years ago, our team did a few extra practices a month.  Coach would not accept compensation for extra skate.
We would later take him to dinner/lunch as a token.  Parent (that would always complain about $$) insinuated that he received too much $$ for the extra skate....... Dumb ass

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
We had a parent a few years back that questioned why the team had to pay any money for the extra ice I took down at KHS because "ice at KHS is free"...

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
Whoa...  easy fellas, I just said "may" get compensated with some benefit.  I have not managed a travel team, but I do volunteer and have helped for some off season tournaments as AC and with the binders and forms and did not expect or receive anything.  But I have no idea what other teams do.  And you all are correct, volunteering on your kids team in any manner is a thankless job that most don't understand.

signed:  Goose Killer

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
I think we're all curious which teams might compensate managers in some way  ;D
I would never expect it.

OnePuck

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
I have managed several times and have never received any type of stipend! I have been part of youth hockey for 10 plus years and not even at the Tier1 level have I heard of a manager getting a stipend.

Hockey_mama

• Mite
  • LR Justice +14/-9
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
How much has your team managers collected for tournements and coaches fees ect. $23,000 for 2 local in town  tournys and 3 out of state and play downs. How about $1300.00 or so for the 3 coaches to pay for gifts ? Is it standard practice for team managers to refuse to show team parents  (proof)  or actual reciepts for the money that has been spent ? Was just curious if this is normal. Thanks

I'm going to speak up here, I am over the bashing of the this team and fiances. So for the facts, not made up bull....

$1300.00 was not collected for coaches gifts. The team requested $50.00 per player, it was optional not mandatory. Families who appreciated the coaches and wanted to give back did. Not all contributed.

Whenever a parent requested to view the financials they were granted access. To be honest, only one parent requested to view them which they were given access. A liar and complainer called SAHA, CAHA, and the club reporting false accusations that they were denied access. All the books and receipts were submitted to the above entities for review. Fricking miracle they came back clean with the exception of missing funds from a fundraiser that was put on by a parent that of course quit the team mid-season. No receipts were provided for the missing funds.

To be clear, the coaches and managers all paid the same team dues. No one received a break, discount, or a stipend. With all the crap this team had to put up with they should have!!!  All it did was make the remaining team members and families closer and support each other. It is really sad that three miserable families felt the need to attack and try to ruin this teams season and hurt a group of kids.  The kids are innocent yet you felt the need to attack them in your stupid pathetic posts and complaints to to CAHA, SCHA, and the club.  Maybe you should get a life outside youth hockey!

LAhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +26/-25
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:47 PM »
My kids played 1 season in California (last season) and it blew my mind that clubs had to pay extra to participate in the playoffs and state tournament. We have lived in Alaska and Colorado and we have NEVER had to pay extra $$$ for making the top 8.

Thank god we moved back to Colorado and we are out of that bullshit ran system and almighty dollar based governing bodies.

What does a season cost in CO?