This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Looking for an Association  (Read 13132 times)

LookingForAnswers

Looking for an Association
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:17:42 AM »

Hi All,

My family is moving from Seattle to Artesia, and I need to find a team for my kid.  She's been playing goalie for her Rep team this year.  I saw the SCAHA website and saw that there are a ton of associations down there.  With every association, there are going to be pluses and minuses; however, I want, like every other parent, someplace where my kid can get the proper coaching and have fun in the process.  Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks.

Kalishock

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-1
  • Don't ask the q.. if you can't handle the answer!
Re: Looking for an Association
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
That will all depend on the age.. experience..    several factors.  Artesia specific has the California Wave.   The nice thing about Artesia.. is that it is literally in the middle of just about all of the rinks that field teams for SCAHA.

Good luck...   I know there are some very competitive teams out here.

Call it both ways, ref.. ya one sided bastard!

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
Just to give you the lay of the land, if you are looking for convenience sake the order would go as follows...

California Wave.  Rink will be in your back yard.
Jr. Ducks.   The 3 rinks they primarily use are not too difficult to get to from Artesia 
Jr. Kings.  They use Lakewood for some teams and is close. El Segundo is a bit further but not unrealistic

Other programs will require more travel time.

As for the quality and politics of each club you will have to do some research

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »

Hi All,

My family is moving from Seattle to Artesia, and I need to find a team for my kid.  She's been playing goalie for her Rep team this year.  I saw the SCAHA website and saw that there are a ton of associations down there.  With every association, there are going to be pluses and minuses; however, I want, like every other parent, someplace where my kid can get the proper coaching and have fun in the process.  Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks.

What birth year is your daughter?

LookingForAnswers

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
Are you looking for a coed team or all female team?  Coed teams closest to you will be the Wave, Jr. Kings, and Jr. Ducks.  If you're looking for all female teams, you'll want to look into the LA Lions and the Lady Ducks.

LookingForAnswers

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
I think we'll try out for the Wave and Jr Ducks.  She's been playing competitively against boys from Washington and Canada.  Unless, the lady ducks play against higher level competition then we'll just do the co-ed teams.

Kalishock

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-1
  • Don't ask the q.. if you can't handle the answer!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:54:12 AM »
I think we'll try out for the Wave and Jr Ducks.  She's been playing competitively against boys from Washington and Canada.  Unless, the lady ducks play against higher level competition then we'll just do the co-ed teams.

There is some pretty stiff competition squirt group.   Jr. Kings have a pure 07 team.   I believe them to be the only one.. if you are looking for a birth year specific team.   

The other teams are mixed 07/06 kids.    There are some pretty strong teams out there.    8 teams in the division (SqA) ..  the top 6..  was anyone's game..  on any given weekend.

Have fun trying to decipher....
Call it both ways, ref.. ya one sided bastard!

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »
You should also consider learning about the Lady Ducks for the long term.  There are numerous girls playing tier who also play travel for the LD's.  The teams are known to make accomodations for players they want, although Goalie is probably tougher in that regard.  Still it's good to get familiar with them as your daughter gets older, and they become a good option.

Since goalie is a specialty position, frequently people gravitate to the coach(es) that they feel most comfortable with.  In other words, you want to find a goalie coach to work with your daughter, and that is often more important than the team.

Spring hockey is just around the corner, so it's a good way to see what teams and programs look good to you.  There are a lot of goalies, and only so many teams out there, and it might take some time for you to find her a spot that's comfortable.  Due to this being the Brick year for '07's expect a lot of turmoil!