This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Can't make tryouts. Any solutions?  (Read 14280 times)

LookingForAnswers

Can't make tryouts. Any solutions?
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:11:25 AM »
Delete
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:45:14 PM by LookingForAnswers »

OCHockeyDad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-0
Re: Can't make tryouts. Any solutions?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
Did you contact the coach and ask?

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »
Many AAA teams are picked before tryouts anyway so it doesn't matter whether you show up at the tryout.  Kids who are picked for those teams often don't show up to the tryouts.  (The coaches sometimes don't show up to their tryouts either.)  Best to talk to the coach in advance and see what he thinks.  If he doesn't pretty much offer a spot before tryouts, odd are very high that you aren't missing anything.

LookingForAnswers

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 11:46:27 AM »
Do they do this with AA as well?

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
Do they do this with AA as well?

Some do, some don't.  Because of the number of AA teams (too many), it tends to be a bit less settled.

LookingForAnswers

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses.  So I'll just give an update here.  So far my daughter has attended 2 clinics one for the Lady Ducks and the other for PW AA Ducks.  Don't know what they think of her.  We'll be headed back to Seattle this weekend so she won't get any more exposure to the local coaches unfortunately.  I was thinking about putting together a highlight reel of her playing and just posting it here.  Don't know if that will sway any of the coaches but I thought that's the best I could do to get her name out there.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:37:35 AM by LookingForAnswers »

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses.  So I'll just give an update here.  So far my daughter has attended 2 clinics one for the Lady Ducks and the other for PW AA Ducks.  Don't know what they think of her.  We'll be headed back to Seattle this weekend so she won't get any more exposure to the local coaches unfortunately.  I was thinking about putting together a highlight reel of her playing and just posting it here.  Don't know if that will sway any of the coaches but I thought that's the best I could do to get her name out there.
[/quote

If you have the coach's email, sending some video to him/her can't hurt, and if you know any other coaches who can provide a "reference" for her that might help as well.  Good luck!

OCHockeyDad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »
Did you reach out to any coaches?  I am curious what kind of response you got and if the videos helped.

Xfactor_56

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

Most Coaches don't read calhockey, so don't post here hoping for responses.  It is not likely to help.
It may be too late now, but I would speak with the Coaches after their clinics.  They will usually be pretty up front with you about your player's chances to make teams.  Good luck!

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »
Most Coaches don't read calhockey

Riiiiight...