This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 314925 times)

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »

Good luck to all who are jumping clubs and teams in search for greener pastures!!!  Ask any parent with aged out kids who don’t play hockey anymore what a waste it all was… Have fun and enjoy!

The families with aged out kids who don't play anymore likely would still not be playing, no matter which club/coaches they played for in the past. If these parents had their minds set that their kids were NHL/D1 bound, they have no one to blame but themselves for setting unrealistic goals. It's like banking on winning the lottery. Sure it happens from time to time, but is it going to happen to you? Probably not.

Families 'jump' from club to club for a variety of reasons. We all need to do what's best for our family.

The simple truth is that in the end, 99% of the kids won't make it to the NHL/D1... It's likely all not going to be 'worth it' in the end, no matter which green grass field you played at. The only league our kids will all end up in one day is the beer league... But again, worth is relative. If my kid can be good at a sport, develop life-long friendships, becomes an accountable young man and contribute to society, it's all worth it to me.

In The Crease

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +38/-12
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
Not really sure OC was hyped up. Yes they could have gone 0-5. All the teams at the tourney were strong. For some reason this hyped team went 5-1. The score was 2-1 going into the 3rd..

You can't call a team that wins 5 of 6 games at the Carmen Starr tournament and wins 10 of the last 11 tournament game all hype. That team skates hard. Congrats to the Bears and OC.

On to tryouts.

Not surprised by the PW AA Carmen Star Results. The most hyped up team lost in the end. I got a chance to see the GSE game against OC. OC does have a few small kids that just were not perfoming in the game I saw. Even though they beat GSE, I didn't see them that strong as all the hype. No sour apples here either because I don't think GSE showed up this weekend either. And yes I am bias since my Nephew is on GSE.

Once again, just my opinion. If OC picks up kids from teams that were not contenders in A last season they will struggle. Looking at the stats these kids may have performed in the saints game, but then again, I think the saints are a middle to bottom of the division team.  Kids from Smerud's OC PW A team were definitely a difference maker for OC this weekend.  I think coach has a big decision to make come try outs this coming weekend.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:37:40 PM by In The Crease »

skates

« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2017, 05:13:32 PM »
I’d like to see a survey of which coaches develop players vs coaches who mostly recruit?

Even at the A/B level I see coaches who bring kids in from other Counties/States or suck kids away from other teams promising the way to hockey glory, a D1 scholarship and the NHL.  These coaches spend most of their time recruiting kids away from coaches who develop kids and it’s a shame because it mostly ends up being a 1 or 2 year experiment and then they’re on the way to the next best thing (club hoppers).  Especially love the 5’5” parents with the super star Squirt/Peewee who think their kid will be the next Theo Fleury or Mats Zuccarello.

It’s a funny thing when you have coaches who will cut or throw a kid and good family away for a cancerous family with/for a slightly better player.  Why not develop the kid who is loyal and working hard to get better?  In most cases, the cancer parent(s) ruin the team chemistry and all goes to hell anyway but regardless, I love watching these super star parents jump from club to club to get on a winner.  I especially love watching them pay tens of thousands a year to eventually see their kid quit hockey at 16 or 18.  After all, it’s all about propping up your kid and letting them know that you’ll always bail them out and that life lessons only come from winning.

Good luck to all who are jumping clubs and teams in search for greener pastures!!!  Ask any parent with aged out kids who don’t play hockey anymore what a waste it all was… Have fun and enjoy!

Or maybe it's not the club but the coach! We would have club hopped if the coach from OC last year was carrying a team, of course if he would have had my kid. We have heard such great things about that OC coach and my wife and I would listen to him when we saw their games and his direction was spot on. There are coaches who chew out kids and who ride their a*s so much kids lose interest. Point being, coach not the club. Many clubs have 1 option at the level of play.
Also, what's wrong with a coach trying to recruit talent? Isn't that how you win games? Or are you saying that 5'5 kid has no talent?

I agree if OC Coach Smerud was listed as a coach for peewee team, I would of made the drive for my kid too. Not sure why he didn't with his past success record. Or maybe he moved on.

skates

« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »
Not really sure OC was hyped up. Yes they could have gone 0-5. All the teams at the tourney were strong. For some reason this hyped team went 5-1. The score was 2-1 going into the 3rd..

You can't call a team that wins 5 of 6 games at the Carmen Starr tournament and wins 10 of the last 11 tournament game all hype. That team skates hard. Congrats to the Bears and OC.

On to tryouts.

Quote:
Easter tournament???

Easter Tournament when most teams don't have their entire rosters playing? Really? You are judging off that tournament?

GrillCracker

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-4
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
Not so at all, just trying to add some substance to the board rather than the nonsense you post.  I see so many parents burn bridge after bridge with coaches and clubs looking for greener pastures.  Guess what? The grass is just a different shade of green (every club has problems/issues) and when you end up looking in the mirror wondering what to do next, you'll finally realize that it's a small portion of your kids life and he's still not going to the NHL.

Refreshing perspective and most parents here would prefer to just ignore your post because reality is hard for people to accept especially when they are burning the candle at both ends to attempt to make it happen.  You see it in many club sports, the parents all want to see their sons and daughters make it to the bigs (nothing wrong with the dream).  From my perspective hockey parents are the most delusional in what they think their kids are going to do with hockey.  Many with a kid on a AA or AAA are thinking 'at least Johnny will get a scholarship out of it' when in reality not many will and very few will get full ride D1 spots.   

Proven over and over again, you need to leave Cali by the time you are 14 to play prep school or to a major hockey market to stand any chance and even then its slim.     Yeah, the 5' 5" parents with the super fast kids scoring tons of goals are really ignoring reality.

Your kid is 100 x more likely to hang em' up at 18 with a 17 medals and 15 trophies and work at the rink or the snack stand at the rink than making any financial gains from hockey.   

On the plus side he will have learned team work, discipline and toughness sticking it out which can go a long way in life.  He may even impress a few girls and get lucky after she see's his two foot stop on a Friday night date skate. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:15:44 PM by GrillCracker »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
Not so at all, just trying to add some substance to the board rather than the nonsense you post.  I see so many parents burn bridge after bridge with coaches and clubs looking for greener pastures.  Guess what? The grass is just a different shade of green (every club has problems/issues) and when you end up looking in the mirror wondering what to do next, you'll finally realize that it's a small portion of your kids life and he's still not going to the NHL.

Ok, I understand your point, and there is something to what you are saying but this is the AA thread, and you are talking about AAA. 

In terms of clubs, it would indeed be wonderful if the best club for everyone was the one closest to your house, with 2-3 birth year teams, one of which is always perfect for your child at their unique point of development, with coaches that will treat your kid like he or she was their own.  And then there is reality.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:20:46 PM by lcadad »

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
I’d like to see a survey of which coaches develop players vs coaches who mostly recruit?

Even at the A/B level I see coaches who bring kids in from other Counties/States or suck kids away from other teams promising the way to hockey glory, a D1 scholarship and the NHL.  These coaches spend most of their time recruiting kids away from coaches who develop kids and it’s a shame because it mostly ends up being a 1 or 2 year experiment and then they’re on the way to the next best thing (club hoppers).  Especially love the 5’5” parents with the super star Squirt/Peewee who think their kid will be the next Theo Fleury or Mats Zuccarello.

It’s a funny thing when you have coaches who will cut or throw a kid and good family away for a cancerous family with/for a slightly better player.  Why not develop the kid who is loyal and working hard to get better?  In most cases, the cancer parent(s) ruin the team chemistry and all goes to hell anyway but regardless, I love watching these super star parents jump from club to club to get on a winner.  I especially love watching them pay tens of thousands a year to eventually see their kid quit hockey at 16 or 18.  After all, it’s all about propping up your kid and letting them know that you’ll always bail them out and that life lessons only come from winning.

Or maybe it's not the club but the coach! We would have club hopped if the coach from OC last year was carrying a team, of course if he would have had my kid. We have heard such great things about that OC coach and my wife and I would listen to him when we saw their games and his direction was spot on. There are coaches who chew out kids and who ride their a*s so much kids lose interest. Point being, coach not the club. Many clubs have 1 option at the level of play.
Also, what's wrong with a coach trying to recruit talent? Isn't that how you win games? Or are you saying that 5'5 kid has no talent?

I agree if OC Coach Smerud was listed as a coach for peewee team, I would of made the drive for my kid too. Not sure why he didn't with his past success record. Or maybe he moved on.
Coach Smerud picked up a Bantam A team since alot of his team from last year moved up. He is co-coaching the Pee Wee A team with Coach Horn this year

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2017, 08:00:37 AM »

On to tryouts.

Not surprised by the PW AA Carmen Star Results. The most hyped up team lost in the end. I got a chance to see the GSE game against OC. OC does have a few small kids that just were not perfoming in the game I saw. Even though they beat GSE, I didn't see them that strong as all the hype. No sour apples here either because I don't think GSE showed up this weekend either. And yes I am bias since my Nephew is on GSE.

Once again, just my opinion. If OC picks up kids from teams that were not contenders in A last season they will struggle. Looking at the stats these kids may have performed in the saints game, but then again, I think the saints are a middle to bottom of the division team.  Kids from Smerud's OC PW A team were definitely a difference maker for OC this weekend.  I think coach has a big decision to make come try outs this coming weekend.
I don't understand the comment regarding the Carmen Starr team winning 10 out of 11 tournament games?

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
I think someone is counting the PWA Spring tournament at the Rinks.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
Skates, why do you think OC PWAA is hyped?    They have done well so far with the exception of the Finals at Carmen Starr.    I read these pages and have a kid with the team and the parents and coach are very subdued, mostly quiet, about their early success.   They have not yet had a team practice; the team is not yet official.   There is no hype.   

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »

Once again, just my opinion. If OC picks up kids from teams that were not contenders in A last season they will struggle.

You can walk into any rink and you will find good athletes and good hockey players.  Maybe they were on a subpar team but I bet a few of those kids can play AA. 

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
Actually, some of the kids that Skates seems to be referring to have AA experience. 

skates

« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »

Once again, just my opinion. If OC picks up kids from teams that were not contenders in A last season they will struggle.

You can walk into any rink and you will find good athletes and good hockey players.  Maybe they were on a subpar team but I bet a few of those kids can play AA.

The game I watched I just didn't see a complete team of caliber players. And yes they beat GSE and yes GSE definitely needs some work too. Maybe some surprises with show up to tryouts. I hope the coach didn't make any promises to anyone.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2017, 09:08:44 PM »

The game I watched I just didn't see a complete team of caliber players. And yes they beat GSE and yes GSE definitely needs some work too. Maybe some surprises with show up to tryouts. I hope the coach didn't make any promises to anyone.
Don't look too hard.  I believe that GSE team that came down is NOT a reflection of the PW AA GSE team.  That team, that will be a major year team has a good amount of returning players.  So don't get your hopes up, they will roll.

skates

« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »

Don't look too hard.  I believe that GSE team that came down is NOT a reflection of the PW AA GSE team.  That team, that will be a major year team has a good amount of returning players.  So don't get your hopes up, they will roll.

I agree GSE will be a contender. I didn't see very many Caliber players on OC team is what I was referring to.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:23:14 PM by skates »