This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 314808 times)

skates

Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
Skates, agree with you about coaching and team chemistry.   Compared to other recent teams we seen up close, OC will have good team chemistry this year.  Dysfunctional locker rooms do adversely impact on the quality of team play.   Some coaches don't want to know about it; Coach Shand is too well attuned to details to let it slide.

Hockey Sophist, when I mean team chemistry, I am not talking about the locker room but rather how the team plays on the ice together. Do they play like a team or do you have a one kid show boat on the ice. Kids might have skills but if they don't trust their teammates to pass to them, then you don't have team chemistry. Also are the kids encouraged by the coach or does the coach ride their a** every game for their every move on the ice? This all changes the team chemistry.

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
Did all of OC defense move up? Last season you said if it wasn't for the D they wouldn't have been competitive.

Okay don't quote me on this: I heard from a friend that OC2 had 6 D. 1 was an 04 and 5 were 05's. I just know by stats that OC 2 had a great D record. So where did all those 05's go I don't know but all of them were not on OC Carmen Starr roster. I imagine not all wanted to play with coach and are trying for other teams or opted out of AA for various reasons. That's what happens when teams are mixed year teams. But just imagine Eagles offense and OC2's defense could be a dangerous team. Both teams had a great season. Stats do show that.
Skates, your evaluations for the Pee Wee A season last year were impressive and I would be happy to buy you a beer if I ever meet you. Regarding the blending of the Smerud and Shand teams, while making sense probably was never intended to happen. I don't think that Smerud had any real input into the forming Shand's team. The Shand team as it stood for Carmen Starr is really a re-branding of the Eagles Pee Wee A team from last year. 8 of the tournament players were Eagles while only 2 were OC2. The defense squad consists of 2 Eagles, 1 OC3 A, 1 Jr Duck 1 AA, and 2 OC2. The remaining 3 OC2 defense squad were not invited to play and have moved on.

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2017, 08:43:08 PM »
Wow. With so much interest in Shand's OCAA, how do the other So Cal AA teams look?

jjyoung909

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-1
« Reply #198 on: June 05, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
The six teams that played at the Carmen Star Tournament seemed evenly matched skill wise.  Some had a bit more speed than others.  Should be a interesting season.

SCAHA site has 14 PWAA teams declared(only showing 1 Bears team though), Not sure about up North I would guess at least 2 sharks and 2 GSE, maybe the Blackhawks??

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:33:08 PM by jjyoung909 »

Norcal1

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-1
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »
Up North there will be 2 GSE, 1 Sharks, 1 Blackhawks and I am hearing the Stockton may have a team.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
I see 16 teams listed at AA on the SCAHA site.  However, I am hearing the Mariners will not skate AA.  It looks like around 20 AA teams for next season.  Maybe CAHA will push two out.  Does that mean two divisions with 9 teams each???

It's time for CAHA to explain to all us how exactly this works.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
I see 16 teams listed at AA on the SCAHA site.  However, I am hearing the Mariners will not skate AA.  It looks like around 20 AA teams for next season.  Maybe CAHA will push two out.  Does that mean two divisions with 9 teams each???

It's time for CAHA to explain to all us how exactly this works.

I'm assuming all AA teams will need to show up in SJ in Sept and battle it out. CAHA's geniuses will then decide which 16 teams get to stay in AA. The rest will be forced to play A... I'm sure a 4-5 games tourney will provide sufficient sample size to determine a team's fate for the rest of the season  ::)

Wouldn't that affect A division as teams moving down will make A more crowded? And what about the sandbagging A teams? Will they be forced to move up to AA and how will AA accommodate teams forced to move up?

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »
Anyone know the official count of who has a team (or 2)? I know mariners are out...Flyers had a ok showing, Bears getting 2? What about the Kings - is it 05 & 07 like I heard?

skates

« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »
From what I've heard, these are the So Cal  AA teams.

Ducks - Kohn
Ducks - Caban 06/07
Bears - Gevorkyan
Reign -
Kings - Tatavosian 05
Kings - Turcotte/Stuart 07
OCHC - Bickley
OCHC - Shand
Gulls - Dufour
Gulls - Pruden
Saints - Robinson
Saints - Snyder
Flyers -

Anyone know if the Ice Dogs were able to fill 2 AA teams? 

Which Gulls team was going to play AAA, but dropped down?

Of the OCHC teams, is one better than the other? How about the Saints?
Yes Ice Dogs will have 2 teams. My son is on one of the teams. Both will be somewhere in the middle.

OC Shand will be the better team landing somewhere in the middle. Bickley's team not sure how low in the brackets they will land. Not a good turn out for tryouts is what I heard.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
Did the Red Wings team not happen?

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
 I am shocked and saddened by the fact that there is no kings 08/09 team participating this year.

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
Love the Riley team, but they simply are not at the same level as the Shand team, which has many top PWA players, size, speed, age, and grit, and several players with AA experience.  Riley Dogs did not take a step forward at Squirt A, and having watched the Eagles many times last season, the Dogs just aren't at the same level (unless they added in 4 or 5 PWA/AA studs).  Would have loved to seen Riley Dogs at Carmen Starr, and frankly, would love to be proven wrong on this one.  If anything, Riley Dogs remind me of PWA Wave 1 last year.  The only potential wrinkle I see for Shand is the rumor that he rostered a ton of kids, and finding the right roles and playing time might be a challenge.  I think Skates' comment about team chemistry may turn out to be prophetic about The Shand team.  Don't know anything about the other Ice Dogs team.  What does the roster look like?  How did they play over Memorial Day?

"Somewhere in the middle" of AA will be a very tough place to be, as it probably means top of Flight B (with little chance of the playoffs) or bottom of Flight A, getting your hat handed to you every fourth weekend.   Neither spot is a particularly good place for development. 

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:21 PM »
I've kept this up to date on the first post of this thread, but here is just the team list:

*Unofficial* List of Peewee AA Teams
ClubTeamCoachesHome RinkInfo

BearsAAGevorkyan (h),
Sokol (a)
PickwickGevorkyan coached Peewee A last season. Mostly '05
Jr FlyersAABerge (h),
Green (a)
Ice Station Valencia2nd year of tier teams under Pavel Sisak.  Josh Berge, the WSHL Jr coach will be coaching AA
Saints1Robinson (h),
Beaty (a)
CarlsbadRobinson returning
Saints2Snyder (h),
Cunningham (a)
OCHC1Bickley(h)
Horn
Yorba LindaCoached Peewee A 2016
OCHC2Shand (h)
Smerud (a)
Yorba Linda
Jr GullsAAWhite (h)Iceplex Escondido
Jr Kings1Tatavosian (h)
Beebee, Daughaday (a)
El SegundoCoached Wave 3 Bantams. 05/06
Jr Kings2Stuart/Turcotte (h)
Cornforth (a)
El Segundo2007 Team
Jr Ducks1Kohn (h) Viau (a)TBACoached Peewee AA 2016
Jr Ducks2Vasilevsky (h),
Kabanets (a)
TBACoached '04 AAA
Jr ReignAAEsdale (h)TBAFormerly the Wildcats
Ice Dogs1Riley (h)KHS
Ice Dogs2White (h)KHS
Jr SharksAADragotto(h)Sharks Ice SJ
GSE North1Alexius (h)TBA
GSE South2Rodriguez (h)TBA
BlackhawksAALino Persi(h)Sharks Ice FremontPersi asst Bantam AA coach 2016
ColtsAATBA (h)Oak Park Ice

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
I've kept this up to date on the first post of this thread, but here is just the team list:

*Unofficial* List of Peewee AA Teams
ClubTeamCoachesHome RinkInfo

BearsAAGevorkyan (h),
Sokol (a)
PickwickGevorkyan coached Peewee A last season. Mostly '05
Jr FlyersAABerge (h),
Green (a)
Ice Station Valencia2nd year of tier teams under Pavel Sisak.  Josh Berge, the WSHL Jr coach will be coaching AA
Saints1Robinson (h),
Beaty (a)
Saints2Snyder (h),
Cunningham (a)
OCHC1Bickley(h)
Horn
Yorba LindaCoached Peewee A 2016
OCHC2Shand (h)
Smerud (a)
Yorba Linda
Jr GullsAAWhite (h)Iceplex Escondido
Jr Kings1Tatavosian (h)
Beebee, Daughaday (a)
El SegundoCoached Wave 3 Bantams. 05/06
Jr Kings2Stuart/Turcotte (h)
Cornforth (a)
El Segundo2007 Team
Jr Ducks1Kohn (h) Viau (a)TBACoached Peewee AA 2016
Jr Ducks2Vasilevsky (h),
Kabanets (a)
TBACoached '04 AAA
Jr ReignAAEsdale (h)TBAFormerly the Wildcats
Ice Dogs1Riley (h)KHS
Ice Dogs2White (h)KHS
Jr SharksAADragotto(h)Sharks Ice SJ
GSE North1Alexius (h)TBA
GSE South2Rodriguez (h)TBA
BlackhawksAALino Persi(h)Sharks Ice FremontPersi asst Bantam AA coach 2016
ColtsAATBA (h)Oak Park Ice
Funny how the Valencia coaches have the most "info" written about them! LOL! Sorry Man, had to call you on that one! HAHAHA!!

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
Just the facts man, just the facts  ;)

Have to say, my prognostications about teams that that would not have AA turnout were correct.  I called 3 out of 4. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:08:37 AM by lcadad »