This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 315005 times)

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2017, 03:00:51 PM »
Just the fact man, just the facts  ;)

Have to say, my prognostications about teams that that would not have AA turnout were correct.  I called 3 out of 4.
Yea, with a bunch of "facts" missing from other teams. LOL! Just joking with ya man! kinda ;) ;) ;)

Go Kings_26

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-22
« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2017, 05:57:22 PM »
Trying to understand the significance of "coached PW A or AAA" last year.   Are we grading the coaches?  Several other coaches listed have coached successful AAA teams and yet only the Ducks are called out?  Hmmmm

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2017, 09:43:13 PM »
Love the Riley team, but they simply are not at the same level as the Shand team, which has many top PWA players, size, speed, age, and grit, and several players with AA experience.  Riley Dogs did not take a step forward at Squirt A, and having watched the Eagles many times last season, the Dogs just aren't at the same level (unless they added in 4 or 5 PWA/AA studs).  Would have loved to seen Riley Dogs at Carmen Starr, and frankly, would love to be proven wrong on this one.  If anything, Riley Dogs remind me of PWA Wave 1 last year.  The only potential wrinkle I see for Shand is the rumor that he rostered a ton of kids, and finding the right roles and playing time might be a challenge.  I think Skates' comment about team chemistry may turn out to be prophetic about The Shand team.  Don't know anything about the other Ice Dogs team.  What does the roster look like?  How did they play over Memorial Day?

"Somewhere in the middle" of AA will be a very tough place to be, as it probably means top of Flight B (with little chance of the playoffs) or bottom of Flight A, getting your hat handed to you every fourth weekend.   Neither spot is a particularly good place for development.

What? Rostered a ton of kids? I can hear the parents now of the kids sitting the bench.  That's sad, so while your kid sits the bench on your AA team, there is another kid playing A and getting lots of ice time that will surpass your kid at Bantam. Typical story.

Hmmm I guess Shand didn't want to share with Bickley. Bickley sure could use some kids. They do coach for the same club right? Geez. What a waste of money for the fouthliners on PW AA teams. I wonder if parents even know there is tons of kids on their team. That would make a difference for me when picking a team.

I think both ice dogs teams will be in the middle boarderline of the top bracket.

Three complete lines & three sets of D. Not sure if that constitutes "rostered a ton." Quick shifts and strong play for Shand and the boys will see plenty of ice time.

Didn't see how Bickley ended up. My observation would be that they drew players from different pools.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »
Skates wrote in reference to Shand PWAA team: "What? Rostered a ton of kids? I can hear the parents now of the kids sitting the bench.  That's sad, so while your kid sits the bench on your AA team, there is another kid playing A and getting lots of ice time that will surpass your kid at Bantam. Typical story.

Hmmm I guess Shand didn't want to share with Bickley. Bickley sure could use some kids. They do coach for the same club right? Geez. What a waste of money for the fouthliners on PW AA teams. I wonder if parents even know there is tons of kids on their team. That would make a difference for me when picking a team."

Skates, after C.Starr tournament you were calling for this team to add some defense.   In reality, he kept the tournament roster together and added several kids.   Parents knew this as there was a parent's meeting after tryout 2.    As a parent, I took it has an attempt to strengthen the roster.    Shand rotates his lines quickly and effectively.   If a kid works hard, they will play.   These are kids with talent and if they don't work hard, it is unlikely they love the game enough to develop anyway.   It is not like sitting on the end of a Ducks AAA bench.   

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
Skates wrote in reference to Shand PWAA team: "What? Rostered a ton of kids? I can hear the parents now of the kids sitting the bench.  That's sad, so while your kid sits the bench on your AA team, there is another kid playing A and getting lots of ice time that will surpass your kid at Bantam. Typical story.

Hmmm I guess Shand didn't want to share with Bickley. Bickley sure could use some kids. They do coach for the same club right? Geez. What a waste of money for the fouthliners on PW AA teams. I wonder if parents even know there is tons of kids on their team. That would make a difference for me when picking a team."

Skates, after C.Starr tournament you were calling for this team to add some defense.   In reality, he kept the tournament roster together and added several kids.   Parents knew this as there was a parent's meeting after tryout 2.    As a parent, I took it has an attempt to strengthen the roster.    Shand rotates his lines quickly and effectively.   If a kid works hard, they will play.   These are kids with talent and if they don't work hard, it is unlikely they love the game enough to develop anyway.   It is not like sitting on the end of a Ducks AAA bench.
In reality, he did not keep his tournament roster together because he lost the only 2 OC2 kids that he had on the tournament roster. Those slots were filled along with the additional kids.

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
M@ss, Sophist and AVC, I was under the impression that Shand carried 18 kids (including 3 goalies) at Carmen Starr, which makes rolling lines and managing TOI pretty simple if a coach is so inclined.  And a coach has every incentive before tryouts to give every player meaningful minutes in order to recruit and evaluate that player.  I also heard  that Shand had rostered 19 kids (including 2 goalies) for the upcoming season, which means that some kids will be going on the ice (at most) once every fourth shift and precludes the use of set lines (unless the last two become a 4th D pairing).    On most AA teams, the bottom lines are not seeing time on special teams or much time in the third period in close games. Perhaps one of you can clarify the number of kids rostered?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2017, 09:57:53 AM »
Just the fact man, just the facts  ;)

Have to say, my prognostications about teams that that would not have AA turnout were correct.  I called 3 out of 4.
Yea, with a bunch of "facts" missing from other teams. LOL! Just joking with ya man! kinda ;) ;) ;)

I'd stick anything in there that anyone wanted me to.  As it was, I had to go search out the coaches and background from the team websites.  I guess people didn't want to share  :(

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
Trying to understand the significance of "coached PW A or AAA" last year.   Are we grading the coaches?  Several other coaches listed have coached successful AAA teams and yet only the Ducks are called out?  Hmmmm

The intention of the notes was not to call out or denigrate anyone, but just to try and give an idea of what the coaches had been doing the year prior.  In some cases you are able to discern whether or not a core team was moving up as a unit along with a coach. 

Many of the coaches have been around for a long time and coached a lot of different teams at all different levels.  If people have read something into those comments, whatever they may have felt was insinuated was unintentional. 

I had hoped that people would provide me some information about the various teams, but what actually happened is that nobody gave me any information at all and I ended up visiting team websites and gathering information from a few people I know.  Often the only way you find out about what a particular club is doing is through internal email lists the club maintains.  The Bears as an example, do a really good job through their website of publishing what is going on, but with many clubs, even the week before the Tier tryouts there was nothing available online. 

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »
M@ss, Sophist and AVC, I was under the impression that Shand carried 18 kids (including 3 goalies) at Carmen Starr, which makes rolling lines and managing TOI pretty simple if a coach is so inclined.  And a coach has every incentive before tryouts to give every player meaningful minutes in order to recruit and evaluate that player.  I also heard  that Shand had rostered 19 kids (including 2 goalies) for the upcoming season, which means that some kids will be going on the ice (at most) once every fourth shift and precludes the use of set lines (unless the last two become a 4th D pairing).    On most AA teams, the bottom lines are not seeing time on special teams or much time in the third period in close games. Perhaps one of you can clarify the number of kids rostered?

15 skaters plus 2 goalies (at least as of the parent/player meeting following tryouts). That would be the same rotation Shand rolled with at Eagles A last season.  Average 30 second shifts and the boys will see plenty of ice. 

The Carmen Starr team was large - if nothing else to assure a team could be fielded and to give everyone a test run for the season.  I only know the rumor on what happened with the two OC2 players - which means I assuredly don't have the truth.  To keep it positive, both OC2 players played great in Carmen Starr, the Eagles/OC2 players got along well, and both will undoubtedly benefit whatever team they end up on. 

At the same time - don't rule this team out. 4 of the 5 top offensive producers from the Carmen Starr team remained on the team.  The rostered Defense has tenacity and both goalies are solid.

rosetta

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
Gulls have two AA teams, per website.

I've kept this up to date on the first post of this thread, but here is just the team list:

*Unofficial* List of Peewee AA Teams
ClubTeamCoachesHome RinkInfo

BearsAAGevorkyan (h),
Sokol (a)
PickwickGevorkyan coached Peewee A last season. Mostly '05
Jr FlyersAABerge (h),
Green (a)
Ice Station Valencia2nd year of tier teams under Pavel Sisak.  Josh Berge, the WSHL Jr coach will be coaching AA
Saints1Robinson (h),
Beaty (a)
CarlsbadRobinson returning
Saints2Snyder (h),
Cunningham (a)
CarlsbadRobinson returning
OCHC1Bickley(h)
Horn
Yorba LindaCoached Peewee A 2016
OCHC2Shand (h)
Smerud (a)
Yorba Linda
Jr GullsAAWhite (h)Iceplex Escondido
Jr Kings1Tatavosian (h)
Beebee, Daughaday (a)
El SegundoCoached Wave 3 Bantams. 05/06
Jr Kings2Stuart/Turcotte (h)
Cornforth (a)
El Segundo2007 Team
Jr Ducks1Kohn (h) Viau (a)TBACoached Peewee AA 2016
Jr Ducks2Vasilevsky (h),
Kabanets (a)
TBACoached '04 AAA
Jr ReignAAEsdale (h)TBAFormerly the Wildcats
Ice Dogs1Riley (h)KHS
Ice Dogs2White (h)KHS
Jr SharksAADragotto(h)Sharks Ice SJ
GSE North1Alexius (h)TBA
GSE South2Rodriguez (h)TBA
BlackhawksAALino Persi(h)Sharks Ice FremontPersi asst Bantam AA coach 2016
ColtsAATBA (h)Oak Park Ice

• Mite
  • LR Justice +10/-16
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2017, 02:36:59 PM »

"These are kids with talent and if they don't work hard, it is unlikely they love the game enough to develop anyway.   It is not like sitting on the end of a Ducks AAA bench."

Curious as to where you came to that assumption? Seriously, what the hell does this even mean?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:37:35 PM by Newbie »

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »
I'm going to get my popcorn now.

skates

« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »
Well let's see.... if a team is made up of mostly kids from another team from a different club last season, maybe the coach had to add additional kids from the current club to make PDR. Don't want another Wave oops! Don't think coach is worrying about equal playing time at that point.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:40:25 AM by skates »

skates

« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Can any one explain to me what this SCAHA rule really means:

Block Recruitment occurs when more than the approved number of players from a final team roster in the previous season is rostered with a different club’s team in the new season. The team will not be included in the SCAHA schedule and will be ineligible for post-season playoffs. The approved numbers of players that may join a team from a different club’s previous season roster are squirt are 5 players; Peewees, Bantams and Midgets 6 players.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:39:33 AM by skates »

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
I don't think that applies to AA hockey, which I believe is governed by CAHA rules.