This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 314962 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
I am also concerned about the evaluators. Maybe I am being a simpleton here, but perhaps the scoreboard should be the evaluator. Would it be a reach to suggest the teams that actually win games are better than those that lose games? This isn't figure skating. We actually have points in our sport. My guess is the evaluators will be there to make sure no team has an opportunity to keep an NHL-affiliated team out of Flight 1.

First off great post and welcome to the boards.

I just want to respond to this part. Let's say your kids team is not top 5 but top 10 or even top 8 for sure. You get a draw of the four top teams. Your kids team loses all the games goes 0-4. Would you be happy getting dropped to the bottom flight?

I like the play it as a big tourney system better and cream will rise.

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
In my opinion, we will know more once the schedule comes out for San Jose. We will see how teams are "stacked" or not. Obviously, if we go off last year's teams and standings, if you have a top 3 team from last year playing bottom ranked teams, likely that would favor the playing field as many have suggested is already picked to be in top flight just by the club name.

Let's all remember, these are kids!

Richard Cranium

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-1
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »
Anyone know when the schedule should be out?

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »
In my opinion, we will know more once the schedule comes out for San Jose. We will see how teams are "stacked" or not. Obviously, if we go off last year's teams and standings, if you have a top 3 team from last year playing bottom ranked teams, likely that would favor the playing field as many have suggested is already picked to be in top flight just by the club name.

Haven't most of the roster turned over with 04's aging out and 06 teams going AAA?  Or are you ranking top 3 based on last year PWA?

Also they are only going to give us 2 games schedule up front so who the heck knows.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:09:38 PM by Rats13 »

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
Outside of a few teams that were 05 heavy last year most teams will be fairly new or enough new players where you cant determine how good they actually are...for example, people talking about the PWA Bears. That team has a bunch of new kids + new goalies right? So, not sure you can put them or any other team at the top or anywhere without a true tournament style weekend...not this SJ garbage. 

You know what i cant wait for? The 500 posts after SJ talking bout how big of a shit show it was!

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
Has anyone gotten an official number on how many teams can make flight 1? If it's capped at a certain number than it's a flawed execution. Some team may get screwed just based on numbers and not performance. We all know who will get in if that's the case. If it's not capped then, honestly, this is what we have been waiting for. A series of checks and balances to drop teams that don't belong

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
Has anyone gotten an official number on how many teams can make flight 1? If it's capped at a certain number than it's a flawed execution. Some team may get screwed just based on numbers and not performance. We all know who will get in if that's the case. If it's not capped then, honestly, this is what we have been waiting for. A series of checks and balances to drop teams that don't belong

"3)   Flight 1 will have a maximum of 10 teams."

skates

« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »

A few club presidents probably argued that, dropping a team to a lower division would void the LOI and they did not want to do that. They did not want to run the risk that kids would leave if the team dropped.

In response, CAHA came up with this "unconventional" flight-within-a-tier scheme to address the fears of the club presidents. Their reasoning was that being placed in the 2nd tier of AA does not really constitute a drop in divisions so the LOIs remain valid. Nobody gets a release.   

I would also suspect that there are clubs out there with AAA teams, or clubs that are trying to get AAA teams, that have been told by CAHA that they must have a certain number of AA teams before they can have a AAA program. This, in my limited view, is yet another reason why the clubs don't want to drop an AA team.

I am also concerned about the evaluators. Maybe I am being a simpleton here, but perhaps the scoreboard should be the evaluator. Would it be a reach to suggest the teams that actually win games are better than those that lose games? This isn't figure skating. We actually have points in our sport. My guess is the evaluators will be there to make sure no team has an opportunity to keep an NHL-affiliated team out of Flight 1.

Bottom line, playing is A is fine if that's where the team needs to be. CAHA demands clubs have a certain number of AA teams to keep or be granted an AAA team. Clubs would probably consider dropping the team but can't because it could jeopardize AAA status as well as void the LOI of all the players.

If CAHA had the will, and the strength to stand up for what is right, they would drop these silly rules and simply place teams where they rightly belong. Without the AAA implications and the LOI issue, we'd have a much better way of being honest about a team's real ability.

Just my two cents.

I agree with most of your post. Get rid of the crazy rules. But we also need to get rid of the crazy parents that drink the kool aid and allow all this to happen.  The more the parents are willing to pay for the extra A the more the clubs will keep taking their money. Take OC for example: We all know one of the PW  AA teams is definitely not a AA team, but the coach desperately found enough parents willing to pay for the extra A so why not? More money in the coaches pocket and more money in the clubs bank. Do you think they care if the team is in the 2nd bracket? Nah! Doesn't change the amount of the season. I think if you land in the 2nd bracket the club should have to give you a discount. After all your season just turned into an exhibition division.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »

I agree with most of your post. Get rid of the crazy rules. But we also need to get rid of the crazy parents that drink the kool aid and allow all this to happen.  The more the parents are willing to pay for the extra A the more the clubs will keep taking their money. Take OC for example: We all know one of the PW  AA teams is definitely not a AA team, but the coach desperately found enough parents willing to pay for the extra A so why not? More money in the coaches pocket and more money in the clubs bank. Do you think they care if the team is in the 2nd bracket? Nah! Doesn't change the amount of the season. I think if you land in the 2nd bracket the club should have to give you a discount. After all your season just turned into an exhibition division.

Just curious, what's your beef with OC? You've been saying about OC not belonging for as long as I can remember. Take last year's OC PWAA for example, you kept saying they didn't belong but IIRC, you had a friend or family member on that 'undefeated' GSE squad and they ended up losing to OC in play down... While I don't know a thing about this year's OC PWAA team since my kid is no longer a peewee, just find it odd that you seem to constantly have an axe to grind with OC...

Stickynote

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »
I would agree.  It's pretty black & WHITE that skates isn't happy with OC.

skates

« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »
Guys, I don't have anything against OC itself. They are just one of the teams that are easy to pick out that does not belong in AA.  Hey shoot you could also bag on my son's Ice Dogs team and I wouldn't be offended. We probably don't belong in AA either but I will just keep blaming it on my wifey and her brilliant ideas.  ;D 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:00:37 PM by skates »

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
It is what it is regarding how the upper and lower grouping is going to be determined. What if they would have done something like this for Pee Wee AA?

There are 10 clubs declaring AA teams of which 6 clubs declared 2 teams. For those 6 clubs, they play a best 2 out of 3 between their two teams. The winner is in the top group and the loser goes to the lower group.

There are two scenarios for those clubs with only 1 team. Scenario 1 is to automatically put them into the top group. This would ensure each club was represented in the upper group of 10 teams while the lower has 6 teams. Scenario 2 is have them play a mini-tournament with the two lowest scoring teams assigned to the lower group. This would establish the upper and lower both at 8 teams.

Comments?

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Guys, I don't have anything against OC itself. They are just one of the teams that are easy to pick out that does not belong in AA. 

It's all good, like I said, my kid is no longer a peewee, nor is he with OC anymore, so makes no difference to me. Good luck to your Dogs this season and hope you guys don't get served by that non-belonging OC squad! ;D

skates

« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
Lol! Oh we will probably will be served! I am counting on it.  ;D

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #329 on: August 18, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »
It is what it is regarding how the upper and lower grouping is going to be determined. What if they would have done something like this for Pee Wee AA?

There are 10 clubs declaring AA teams of which 6 clubs declared 2 teams. For those 6 clubs, they play a best 2 out of 3 between their two teams. The winner is in the top group and the loser goes to the lower group.

There are two scenarios for those clubs with only 1 team. Scenario 1 is to automatically put them into the top group. This would ensure each club was represented in the upper group of 10 teams while the lower has 6 teams. Scenario 2 is have them play a mini-tournament with the two lowest scoring teams assigned to the lower group. This would establish the upper and lower both at 8 teams.

Comments?

Your set up doesn't take into account the Norcal teams.