This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 314817 times)

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #375 on: September 03, 2017, 09:36:25 PM »
shots in goal is a better stat than shots on goal

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #376 on: September 03, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »
Fair enough.  The GF/GA are probably useful when you consider strength of schedule and help my analysis a good deal.  Since we know the matchups were engineered, I have to assume that they made some decisions pretty early on, because otherwise the game 3&4 matchups, especially day 4, are pretty dubious. 

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #377 on: September 03, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »
yep you definitely can't divide the tiers by looking at these stats.  Saints 1 should be in bottom tier based on who they played.  For a quick review I think it should be in this order:

1. GSE1
2. Bears
3. Ducks 1
4. Gulls 1
5. Blackhawks
6. GSE2
7. Kings 1
8. Ducks 2
9. OCHC 1
10. Saints 1
11. OCHC 2
12. Flyers
13. Gulls 2
14. Kings 2
15. Ice dogs
16. Sharks
17. Reign
18. Saints 2

Wish I had time to run numbers and was able to see shots on goal for a better picture.

jk2 have beaten gulls2 5 times in a row going back to last season, including this weekend.  what is your rationale of putting gulls2 above them?

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #378 on: September 03, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »
They mentioned there might be additional scrimmages to prove teams belong or for more clarification. Will the bubble teams have scrimmages or is this just for the teams that could get dropped?
Do we all go to Vacaville and then certain teams play upper and lower tier games?  How does it work? 
If divisions are split 8 and 8 (and an argument can be made) do all teams play each other twice?
Up to 12-13 teams could claim they did enough this weekend given this early point in the season. 

All So Cal teams upper and lower will play each other as part of the SCAHA scrimmage season between CAHA weekends.  I assume AAA minor teams are invited to be a part of the SCAHA scrimmage season?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #379 on: September 03, 2017, 11:00:50 PM »
1. GSE1
2. Bears
3. Ducks 1
4. Gulls 1
5. Blackhawks
6. GSE2
7. Kings 1
8. Ducks 2
9. OCHC 1
10. Saints 1
11. OCHC 2
12. Flyers
13. Gulls 2
14. Kings 2
15. Ice dogs
16. Sharks
17. Reign
18. Saints 2

I think if you're going to move teams up in your list you have to actually have to admit strength of schedule was significant, and you have to look at head to head results, and your ordering is hard to justify.  Ducks1 played a tough schedule, but so did most of the teams in my Top flight list including Kings1, Blackhawks, JrFlyers and OCHC1.  They ended up 1-2-1.  How you think they ought to be ranked 3rd, does not compute.  Meanwhile you think OCHC1 should be ranked 9th, when they beat the same Ducks1 team 4-2, and your 6th ranked GSE2 team 3-0? 

All the Jr.Flyers games were competitive, and they had to play all '05 heavy teams.  For example, they lost to OCHC1 3-2 while outshooting them, and lost a close game to the Blackhawks this morning 5-3 which included an empty netter, yet you ranked them behind a team they beat 7-2.  Makes no sense.     Now I get that the Gulls1 beat up OCHC1 and Ducks2 beat Gulls1 and we can go round and round on this but there are going to be exceptions and contrary position points, however, your ordering isn't really defensible.  JD2 did play a tough schedule, GSE2 an easier one, but I have to point out things like:

GSE2 beat JD2 3-0, GSE2 Lost to OCHC1 0-3.  Now, justify how JD2 should be ranked 8th over Saints1 and clearly a top flight pick?  Seems JD-centric thinking to me.

It seems most everyone can agree that the Jamboree sucked, and at least for this year, the arbitrary 10 team limit looks like a bad idea, as many people predicted.   

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:13:52 PM by lcadad »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #380 on: September 03, 2017, 11:10:22 PM »
They mentioned there might be additional scrimmages to prove teams belong or for more clarification. Will the bubble teams have scrimmages or is this just for the teams that could get dropped?
Do we all go to Vacaville and then certain teams play upper and lower tier games?  How does it work? 
If divisions are split 8 and 8 (and an argument can be made) do all teams play each other twice?
Up to 12-13 teams could claim they did enough this weekend given this early point in the season. 

All So Cal teams upper and lower will play each other as part of the SCAHA scrimmage season between CAHA weekends.  I assume AAA minor teams are invited to be a part of the SCAHA scrimmage season?

I don't think there is any argument at all for splitting it 8 and 8.  When you have lots of 1 and 2 goal games between teams, that means they are competitive.  This was supposed to be about insuring competition and weeding out teams that are clearly not competitive.  That's quite a thing to try and do the first week of the season, but when the data you have (shots, GF, GA, etc) are factored in, as well as the fact these were not complete games and weren't marketed as a tournament but rather a series of evaluation scrimmages,  there is no way that certain teams should be denied the opportunity to play other teams they are within 1-3 goals of and might very well have beaten in a full game.  Especially when the schedule was engineered, and the entire system favors teams that have a nucleus that have been playing together, sometimes with the same coach for a few seasons. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:11:17 PM by lcadad »

Hockeyking

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #381 on: September 04, 2017, 07:38:39 AM »
Did anyone see the D1 verses GSE2- I know it was a tie game but did one team outplay the other? Also, I've heard the D2 verses GSE2 game was really intense. I heard GSE outplayed on first period and D2 outplayed 2nd period but the GSE2 goalie was on fire. Heard the game was really physical and neither side backed down. Anyone see the game?

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
« Reply #382 on: September 04, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
I can't figure any formula to accurately rank teams from what we were given.  In watching, you could spot any newly formed teams that didn't have a core of returning players. Theirs were the scores all over the place. Most clubs started practicing just a few weeks ago. Those teams will get better over time and some may become competitive enough to beat GSE1, Bears or anyone's top picks on any given day.  Some teams don't belong, but the flight system won't cure it, especially not after a weekend evaluation this early on.  Of they're not pushing teams to A, and pushing a lot of those A teams to BB and so on, they will continue to have watered down hockey. Drop the flight system, and the top 8 teams will sort themselves out. The worst teams will kick themselves for paying all the money to lose every game.  Better than screwing over a lot of teams that could be competitive.  At the end of weekend, I think only a couple teams can confidently say they know they'll be flight 1.

Go Kings_26

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-22
« Reply #383 on: September 04, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »
Must have been a JD 2 that came up with the top 8.  Defeating the JG 1, who played mostly weaker teams is not an indicator of anything.  I agree that Saints 1 looked questionable; however, both the Saints and OCHC 1 are stronger than JD 2. Anyone, and I'm assuming most of the folks on this board, know that there is this thing called "match ups."  Just because one team wins by 1 and another by 5, doesn't mean that if they played each other the higher scoring teams would win.  Some teams are built around defense and some around offense (often cherry picking a few).  If a team was literally blown out 10 or 12 to 0, ok, I think that's an indicator,  but otherwise, I agree that 14 of these teams are easily competitive with one another.  If caha makes a decision without some additional research, there will be some serious injustice across the league and I predict this process is a "one and done" affair in 2017.

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #384 on: September 04, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
Ok Skates, now what's the excuse? OCHC-1 Shand beat Jr Ducks-1 Kohn  (with the player you said he should've taken but didn't want the problem child). Now what?  🤣

Oh good for them. It will make the season more entertaining to see the teams compete. And how low of you to single out a kid as a problem child. From my understanding they didn't stand a chance of getting this kid on their team. But they sure did try. He chose not too. I think your just a hater and jealous that your kid doesn't have mad skills like that kid does. He will be waving at your kid while he is parading down the street while yours is on the sidewalk.  And just because OC won that game means nothing in my stat books. At least the Ducks never got their ass kicked in any of the games they played this weekend.

Skates: Agree with you to keep it classy - but if you had seen the game you'd know it was cringe-worthy, even to Ducks-1 parents.  That said, OCHC-1 beat Ducks-1 pretty handily. Except for your bizarre bias against OC and Shand, I don't see how you rank Ducks-1 3rd and OCHC-1 9th. You're better than this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:01:18 AM by M@sshole »

skates

« Reply #385 on: September 04, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
Ok Skates, now what's the excuse? OCHC-1 Shand beat Jr Ducks-1 Kohn  (with the player you said he should've taken but didn't want the problem child). Now what?  🤣

Oh good for them. It will make the season more entertaining to see the teams compete. And how low of you to single out a kid as a problem child. From my understanding they didn't stand a chance of getting this kid on their team. But they sure did try. He chose not too. I think your just a hater and jealous that your kid doesn't have mad skills like that kid does. He will be waving at your kid while he is parading down the street while yours is on the sidewalk.  And just because OC won that game means nothing in my stat books. At least the Ducks never got their ass kicked in any of the games they played this weekend.

Skates: Agree with you to keep it classy - but if you had seen the game you'd know it was cringe-worthy, even to Ducks-1 parents.  That said, OCHC-1 beat Ducks-1 pretty handily. Except for your bizarre bias against OC and Shand, I don't see how you rank Ducks-1 3rd and OCHC-1 9th. You're better than this.

I am glad to know that we have one thing in common. (Class) But just because I ranked OC 1 9th place does not mean that I am against them. I don't know much about Shand except for a few people telling me about their experience with him. And I heard good things and not not so good things. But that can be said about every coach. Again it is everyone's own individual opinion. The good probably out weighed the bad. I really do wish them the best.

Just because my opinion of doing a brief look at the games and stats that I had put them in 9th does not mean I am biased against them. I am a numbers and analysis type of guy. Just because they beat the ducks 1 means nothing. Look at last years 1st place team lost to the 9th seed. Overall performance just was not impressive to me. The ducks 1 had a more rigorous playing schedule and played higher bracket teams and they held their own in each game. Not once did they get their ass kicked.

Sorry if I burst your ego. Don't worry about it if you don't agree with me. I am not the evaluator that you need to worry about. Good luck this season.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #386 on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:21 PM »
scaha schedule up for first 4 games starting next weekend

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #387 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »
Love the Bears / Saints 2 match up this weekend.  Way to go, SCAHA.   

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
Love the Bears / Saints 2 match up this weekend.  Way to go, SCAHA.

Is there a particular 2-3 teams from the South the Bears should play over and over again so they don't have 5-6+ goal wins every game???

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
I find it interesting that some match ups from San Jose are being repeated.  What's the point of that?