This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 314904 times)

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #510 on: September 21, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »
Pretty sure Ducks 1 are stronger than Ducks 2 and Kings 2...Games we were able to see in San Jose were pretty good.
quote author=NorcalDad link=topic=3454.msg43951#msg43951 date=1506031204]
Flight 1
Bears
Blackhawks
Ducks(1)
Ducks(2)
GSE(1)
GSE(2)
Gulls(1)
Kings(1)
OCHC(1)
Saints(1)

Flight 2
Flyers
Gulls(2)
Ice Dogs
Kings(2)
OCHC(2)
Reign

Dropped to "A"
Saints(2)
Sharks

As a followup, that's 9/10 with the ranking formula I found.  The only miss was Duck1 instead of Kings2.  Interesting.
Let's all remember, these are kids!

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #511 on: September 21, 2017, 11:31:40 PM »
The formula is useless in a small sample without enough games to establish strength of schedule.  Anyone around could have told you that Ducks1 is a far better team than either Kings2 or for that matter Ducks2.  Some teams played a weak schedule as established clearly by the fact that teams have dropped down to A.   The very fact that you got it completely wrong on several teams is an indictment of the formula within the context of the Jamboree.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:34:30 PM by lcadad »

NorcalDad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »

The formula is useless in a small sample without enough games to establish strength of schedule.  Anyone around could have told you that Ducks1 is a far better team than either Kings2 or for that matter Ducks2.  Some teams played a weak schedule as established clearly by the fact that teams have dropped down to A.   The very fact that you got it completely wrong on several teams is an indictment of the formula within the context of the Jamboree.

The formula favors your opponent's opponents more heavily than your own record or that of your opponents.  I'd say 90% success wasn't too bad, given the limitations you mention.  I was surprised that it even got that many, given the politics that certainly must have played a factor.

I wasn't trying to imply that Ducks1 didn't belong in the top flight.  The point of presenting the formula was to interject some objective data rather than they typical "well, *my* team..." comments.  Clearly that part failed  :)

Ducks1's opponent's opponents combined win pct was the 4th lowest, which is what dropped them in the formula.  Their opponents had the highest combined win pct which helped, but they didn't fare well against them.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #513 on: September 24, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
Pretty quiet here lately.  There were a number of games and I only know of 2 results.

One of them pretty much shreds the Flights, which is something I expected would happen at some point, but only took 3 pre-season games.  CAHA should be proud, considering the news that despite Flight2 being entirely in socal, they are expected to head up to Vacaville, and now are uninvited from Lakewood (Flight 1 only now).  I keep wondering if this could get more idiotic, and then it does.

At any rate, I know that Reign beat ID's 5-4 on saturday.  Sunday game results?

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #514 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »
Dogs/Reign is not a flight-buster, so what was the other result?  Guessing Flyers won?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #515 on: September 25, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
Dogs/Reign is not a flight-buster, so what was the other result?  Guessing Flyers won?

Not to be overly dramatic, but Flyers and Saints1 had a pretty good game on Sunday.  Saints1 jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first.  Flyers put on a lot of pressure in the 2nd and 3rd and the game ended in a 5-5 tie.  Final shots on the scoreboard were 29-20 flyers.  Along with all the other evidence which already existed, this just confirms that the Flyers can compete with top flight teams.  I don't have enough information about the other 2nd Flight teams to offer an opinion yet as to whether there are others in the same category yet, but the Flyers certainly got screwed. 

What annoys me is that the Jamboree was just used to weed out a couple of the weakest teams, and any data accumulated which didn't agree with their preconceived notion as to what the top flight should be was thrown out, in order to fit an arbitrary threshold.  According to CAHA's own announcement of this system, Flighting would only be done if it could be done fairly.  They had ample evidence that there were at least 11 teams which were competitive, and because this didn't fit what they wanted to do, they just went ahead and flighted it anyways.

I also find it extremely arrogant and insulting that the powers that be at CAHA, are requiring the 6 flight2 Socal teams to report to Vacaville for a CAHA weekend, and then in the same sentence telling those same teams that they won't be playing in the Lakewood weekend.   

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #516 on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
In my opinion, if a team is wanting to get a playoff spot, it's almost better to have been a top team in the bottom flight to have a sure spot to play in the playoffs??? Granted, you are stuck playing the same teams over and over again (is it a challenge to the kids???) and have gotten screwed with travel, but hey if you belong in the top and now are placed in the bottom flight, at least you know you are sure thing when Feb/March comes along and you have already clinched a spot to play for the championship!
Of course sarcasm is involved here...

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
« Reply #517 on: September 25, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
The flight system is a complete joke.  CAHA had their plans and did everything in their power to get their chosen teams placed where they wanted.  It didn't work out, and some teams got screwed in the process.  My question is, if they cancelled Lakewood for Flight 2, is CAHA refunding money to Flight 2 teams?  There's no price break for Flight 2, so they should be getting the same games as Flight 1.  (It's a rhetorical question.  I already know they won't refund anything). 

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #518 on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »
The flight system is a complete joke.  CAHA had their plans and did everything in their power to get their chosen teams placed where they wanted.  It didn't work out, and some teams got screwed in the process.  My question is, if they cancelled Lakewood for Flight 2, is CAHA refunding money to Flight 2 teams?  There's no price break for Flight 2, so they should be getting the same games as Flight 1.  (It's a rhetorical question.  I already know they won't refund anything). 
Flight 2 pays less than Flight 1. If you paid this in your Club Dues, then you should be asking your Club for a refund. If you pay it in your Team Dues (to your team Manager), then they will be making the adjustment to your budget.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #519 on: September 25, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
In my opinion, if a team is wanting to get a playoff spot, it's almost better to have been a top team in the bottom flight to have a sure spot to play in the playoffs??? Granted, you are stuck playing the same teams over and over again (is it a challenge to the kids???) and have gotten screwed with travel, but hey if you belong in the top and now are placed in the bottom flight, at least you know you are sure thing when Feb/March comes along and you have already clinched a spot to play for the championship!
Of course sarcasm is involved here...

In all seriousness with a high degree of parity and 10 teams, every week will be a challenge for the top flighters.   I wouldn't be surprised at all if the last couple of spots come down to the wire. 

I recognize the healthy dose of sarcasm leveled at the logic involved in this "hey lower flight people - see how we have a control for that thing so many of you warned us about, where a team gets better and surprises people by mid season?"

All winning Flight2 gets is a 1 game playoff with the 8th seed to get into the playdowns.  The entire idea is nonsensical on so many levels it boggles the mind.  Quite frankly, if a team isn't good enough to even compete with the teams in the top flight be that 3, 6 or 10 teams, then why should they even get the opportunity to beat out another team that had to scrape and battle their way into the playdowns, and settle this all via a one game playoff? 

If you really wanted to create something interesting, how about having a playdown for the 7 & 8 Spots, where you take the 6-10 teams in Flight1 and the top 4 Flight2 teams, and playdown for the 7 & 8 spots?  I guess that would be too fair, and is not punitive enough to the Flight2 teams. 

Of course, the original proposal included the idea that the #1 seed in the top Flight was going to get a free ticket to the championship.  Obviously a lot of people must have complained vociferously about that, because it disappeared just before SJ.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:32:50 PM by lcadad »

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #520 on: September 25, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »
I didn't realize that CAHA changed their mind about the 1st place team with an automatic ticket to the championship, so that is a no go and they will have to have a "normal" playoff?

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #521 on: September 26, 2017, 04:14:57 AM »
I did not realize that either.  Then two teams from tier 1 miss the playoffs. 

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #522 on: September 26, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
Anyone know what the results were for Bears and Ducks1 on Sunday? Were the Ducks competitive? Also the OC1 Gulls?

skates

« Reply #523 on: September 26, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »
Bears 0 Ducks1 3

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #524 on: September 26, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »