This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 314857 times)

Norcal1

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-1
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #690 on: January 28, 2018, 08:33:21 AM »
This board had been VERY quiet!!!! Heading into the last weekend, anyone making predictions????

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #691 on: January 28, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »
This board had been VERY quiet!!!! Heading into the last weekend, anyone making predictions? ???

Some will win.  Some will lose.  Some are born to sing the blues... but the music never ends, it goes on and on and on and on and............

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #692 on: February 10, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
So what happened in the play-in game?

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #693 on: February 10, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
For the PeeWees - I believe they play tomorrow.

Stark

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #694 on: February 10, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »

Sun Feb 11,2018  12:30 PM

Valencia  Jr Flyers 12AA
Santa Clara Blackhawks 12AA

https://stats.caha.timetoscore.com/oss-scoresheet?game_id=16049&mode=display
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:32:56 PM by Stark »

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #695 on: February 11, 2018, 03:19:08 PM »
Flyers 5
Blackhawks 2

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #696 on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:46 PM »
Congrats Flyers!

Norcal1

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-1
« Reply #697 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
Flyers played well! They are very well coached and play good positional hockey!

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #698 on: February 13, 2018, 07:49:23 AM »
The Flyers are very deep and players developed very well.   Congrats and good luck.

Has anyone heard any details for Flight 2 playoffs?

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
« Reply #699 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:26 AM »
Yet another reason the flight system is a failure.  Flyers are a strong team and likely would have seeded higher than 8th had they been in Flight 1.  Due to politics and the powers that be, they were put in Flight 2.  Now they face GSE out of the gate due to their only option, 8th seed.  Since CAHA will never eliminate the political aspect, they should eliminate the flights.  All teams played each other anyway in SCAHA, so it defeats the argument of competition.  Let the teams develop without flights and see what happens. 

Congratulations Flyers!  Good luck! 

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #700 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:01 AM »
Appreciate the well wishes.  At least our kids will get a chance to face GSE1 this season.   The point of playing AA was that it's California Hockey vs Socal Hockey, and this will be at last be an opportunity for us to engage in that for the 2nd and last time this season. 

I agree 100% that the Flight system is dumb and defeats the entire point of CAHA, but I fear that CAHA considers it a success.  I believe at this point they are probably planning a future meeting to "tune things" and figure out a way that they can reduce the number of Flight1 teams to 6 next season, so that GSE can just play the Ducks and the Kings and maybe Gulls or Saints.  This is the organization that thinks this works great for AAA with 3 teams!

CAHA was put together because in the old days teams had to work out scheduling to play each other manager to manager.  The rulebook for the most part makes sense, but once they got into the business of believing they could predict and improve overall competition, they lost their way.   As the old saying goes, "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it", and it might surprise people to know that Flights were tried many years ago, and ultimately scrapped, or so I have been told.

I do know that the dates for the Flight2 playoffs were picked and put out to bid by the various rinks, so the clubs should have the information at least on the dates. 

I don't harbor any ill will personally to the Ducks2 parents, or the Kings2 for that matter.  There are some nice folks there, and I understand that they are often just doing what the club tells them is the thing to do on their path to their AAA destiny.  There's just nothing in it for my son, to play kids who are 2 years younger and 1/2 his size and watch him sit in the box because he knocked one of em down going for a puck.   No offense, your kids play very well for their age, and I truly enjoyed watching that little Kings2 goalie stand on his head, but you should not be playing our mostly '05 team in my opinion. 

The practice of play-up to Peewee AA is a big part of this problem, and yet again the results speak for themselves.  They should stop allowing this for teams, and return things to the way it was in the past when individual kids who have demonstrated they are far too advanced to play in their own age group could play up, but with those numbers highly limited per team.   People would think twice if they faced the proposition that their underage kid would have to play on a team with all older kids and possibly be relagated to a limited role while other older, stronger, better kids played in front of them. 

A lot more would want to stay together and play at Squirt, and if you are so incredibly good, then get started on your AAA travels early and scrimmage teams that want to scrimmage you.  When my son was a 2nd year Squirt the play up thing was in full swing, and of those parents I knew whose kids did it, not one said it was a good decision by the end of the season.  There are more than a few parents around who can tell you they thought it actually hurt their kids development, because they were forced to battle uphill all year and change the way they played to try and minimize the downside of facing older kids. 

I want to belatedly congratulate OC2 and the ID's for beating the Flight1 Ducks2 during the season.  You made the point we were never given the opportunity to make ourselves. 

It would be a lot more interesting for everyone if the Flight1 9 & 10 teams were slotted into the Flight2 playoffs in my opinion, if for no other reason than to give you all an opportunity to play teams that you weren't provided by CAHA this season.

Here's hoping we can all enjoy the last few weeks of the 2017-18 season, and our kids come out healthy and ready for a break from the sport --- and an opportunity to do some other things at least for the spring! Half the '04's my kid played with last year have some sort of injury -- concussions, broken collarbones and wrists.  Moving to full check is the main concern I have for next year, and really puts all this flight nonsense into perspective for me.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #701 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
I believe the flight system worked very well at the Midget level.  It separated the A level teams from the AA level.  There weren't dozens of 10-0 games.

Both flights where able to develop by playing teams of their own caliber.  Most Midget parents I have spoken with thought it worked out rather well and far better than expected.

[size=78%]  [/size]

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #702 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:23 PM »

A lot more would want to stay together and play at Squirt, and if you are so incredibly good, then get started on your AAA travels early and scrimmage teams that want to scrimmage you.  When my son was a 2nd year Squirt the play up thing was in full swing, and of those parents I knew whose kids did it, not one said it was a good decision by the end of the season.  There are more than a few parents around who can tell you they thought it actually hurt their kids development, because they were forced to battle uphill all year and change the way they played to try and minimize the downside of facing older kids. 

The '05 Ducks coached by Sandy did very well playing up as squirts in AA and made it to play downs.  The Vachon, Jr Kings competed but missed the playoffs.  I don't have a problem with either of those teams playing up.  They would have schooled the squirt A division.  But that is an argument we had on this board years ago. 

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #703 on: February 13, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »
I believe the flight system worked very well at the Midget level.  It separated the A level teams from the AA level.  There weren't dozens of 10-0 games.

Both flights where able to develop by playing teams of their own caliber.  Most Midget parents I have spoken with thought it worked out rather well and far better than expected.

[size=78%]  [/size]

Good point, perhaps it was good for the midgets.  But is it going to dissuade clubs from playing up at flight two?  Should it dissuade clubs from playing up? 
I think most of us can agree that there is no need to have 6 divisions in 11 & 12 year old hockey. 

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #704 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »

I don't harbor any ill will personally to the Ducks2 parents, or the Kings2 for that matter.  There are some nice folks there, and I understand that they are often just doing what the club tells them is the thing to do on their path to their AAA destiny.  There's just nothing in it for my son, to play kids who are 2 years younger and 1/2 his size and watch him sit in the box because he knocked one of em down going for a puck.   No offense, your kids play very well for their age, and I truly enjoyed watching that little Kings2 goalie stand on his head, but you should not be playing our mostly '05 team in my opinion. 

Your team played the Kings 07 team 4 times.  Came from one goal behind in the last 5 minutes to win 5-4.  Won the 2nd one 6-4.  TIED the 3rd one 4-4.  Won the 4th in a blowout.  3 out of 4 games the 07's played your team very close.  Good luck against GSE1 you are going to need it.  I hope there is something in it for them.