This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 304283 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #780 on: March 25, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
I heard over the weekend while i has at  the Bears prep school showcase that several 04 AAA ducks are coming over to Peter next year.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:12:29 PM by Pistonkev »

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #781 on: March 26, 2018, 08:44:53 AM »
If I had a 04 to 07 player and was able to make the drive to Burbank, I would not hesitate to try to make that Bears team! Forget the “AAA” fable, if you want player development and a club interested in your player, no club is better at it! I have no horse in the race and my player has never been a Bear, but seeing the effort that club puts into making their players better and provide opportunity surpasses any club in Southern California! The BIG TWO clubs, which we have been involved with for years, could learn a lot from Peter at the Bears. But as we all know, they’re more focused on hockey as a business, and they will always attract players attracted to the NHL junior scene.

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #782 on: March 26, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
Oh boy thats a bold statement...its hard to argue against what Peter is doing, just look at the success of the prep showcase this past weekend and of course his AA team. But, saying that across the board they are the best club  at player development and a club interested in your player is stretching it.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #783 on: March 26, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »
Why isnt the fact the Bears might not have a home rink in a year or two part of this conversation? Has it been worked out or still up in the air? The Bears best successes have been when kids & coaches commit to each other for the long term...if the rink is questionable I would think that would weigh heavily on any 12U and under kid looking to come back or even stay.

I heard the rink is a non-issue. The club is aware of the potential challenge and has worked out a solution. The concern is valid, but after speaking to them about their plans, I'm not worried in the least, but am more excited about it.

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #784 on: March 27, 2018, 09:13:32 AM »
I hope there is a solution - the valley needs the Bears, its a pretty good org. The whole area needs better support - no offense to the Heat but the VIC is a dump...which makes me pissed off even more about how badly the Flyers are run even though they have the best rink. So our options are to play in a rink that might be torn down, a former bowling alley or drive up north to an org run by morons? Come on...can someone just start a kickstarter for a new rink like the one they are building in Irvine? I will donate the first $50.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #785 on: May 02, 2018, 08:14:00 AM »
So does anybody know if CAHA is going to continue next season with the ridiculous 2 flight system? Since they don’t want to seem to post their meeting minutes, does anybody know? By the way CAHA board is breaking the law by not posting their minutes timely, but go figure what’s new!

Pretty much every organization I know of is planning on the Flights.  It is going to be the new norm, with coaches making strategic decisions regarding placement.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #786 on: May 02, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
I think a question across all levels for parents is how to judge the depth of talent within a club.  Most clubs are planning on a flight 1 and a flight 2 team regardless of ability.  Will a club take 15 players for a flight 1 team or are they going with 18?  It impacts the minor team and can impact your player's playing time on a major or minor team.  With 21 - 25 teams at tier II at most levels, numerous teams will get dropped if CAHA stays the course with the 16 team limit.  This will once again make the jamboree important with many teams skating all summer.  But staying the course is not necessarily something that CAHA typically does.  I expect this to get tweaked in some way. 

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #787 on: May 02, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »
I think a question across all levels for parents is how to judge the depth of talent within a club.  Most clubs are planning on a flight 1 and a flight 2 team regardless of ability.  Will a club take 15 players for a flight 1 team or are they going with 18?  It impacts the minor team and can impact your player's playing time on a major or minor team.  With 21 - 25 teams at tier II at most levels, numerous teams will get dropped if CAHA stays the course with the 16 team limit.  This will once again make the jamboree important with many teams skating all summer.  But staying the course is not necessarily something that CAHA typically does.  I expect this to get tweaked in some way.
....please say this is in jest......
...."once again make jamboree important..."

LOL !!

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #788 on: May 02, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »
....please say this is in jest......
...."once again make jamboree important..."

LOL !!

You called it out.  I guess I was being kind.  The jamboree is a joke, a waste of time.  My bet is that they keep the jamboree and somehow opt to change something else.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #789 on: May 02, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
If you look at last year, it seems that Flight2 is now becoming the place for several types of teams:
  • Primarily minor year teams
  • Teams playing up from Squirt to PWAA in prep for AAA
  • Clubs that have a nucleus of AA caliber players, but lack the overall depth of the top 4-6 Flight1 teams
We shall see what happens, but going back the last 3 seasons, teams were relegated to A before flighting.  The pressure and uncertainty that comes early on will continue, but from last season what is clear is that CAHA essentially doesn't care about Flight2 teams or the level of competition in Flight2.   

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #790 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »
It's basically a place for a decent minor year team to shelter in place without getting crushed by the top teams.  It also allows the major year teams in lessser development to reach up without the club risking to have to allow post tryout releases and the chaos that occurs when they do.  CAHA gets to declare a religious holiday up north and sell you more ice early in the Jumbalia. A teams are opened up and no one has be called BB team.  Win-win, right? 

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #791 on: May 03, 2018, 10:15:19 AM »
Exactly it, its all a CAHA shell game. Kids will leave a club if they dont play AA so instead of dropping to A you play AA flight 2 so its really not AA its more like A+....even though the teams would probably lose to a lot of top A teams.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #792 on: May 03, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »

PW is just a problem year, as the system struggles to accommodate the number of teams. 

PWAAA Major - 3 teams
PWAAA Minor - 3 teams
PWAA - 16 teams
Scaha PWA - 22 teams
Scaha PWBB - 11 teams
Scaha PWB - 18 teams!

73 Teams!!!!!! 

There's just too much demand, and the existing rules don't work very well.  A division with more than 8-12 teams is too large.  It's no surprise that people don't want to play A when there are 20+ teams in the division, you only play the teams close to your level of competition at most 1x, and teams in the bottom half of the division are essentially eliminated from contention regardless of improvement at the half way point of the season.