This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: New to Southern California PeeWee Hockey  (Read 25925 times)

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
Re: New to Southern California PeeWee Hockey
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
Negative?

How about writing a reality check that won't bounce?

"Traffic is bad"
"Do your homework"

Hope I never need to borrow a brain.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
Narcissistic much?  Why would you assume that he was referring to you?  Traffic is bad. Completing homework in a timely fashion is good. There. Someone agrees with you.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
I am bagging on the vague platitudes and cliches that are being posted as "advice". If you can help, help. If not, don't post twaddle.

Took me two hours to get to KHS last night from BH. For a scrimmage. Not complaining, this is the reality in So Cal and our new friend should know the truth before he signs with the Yorba Linda Yo Yo's.

HockeyDadx3

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +54/-24
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
You do not want to go to Yorba Linda from Laguna. You will die, and it will takes weeks to recover the bodies.

Your options IMHO (and I am not expert) are the new rink in Carlsbad, Lakewood (Long Beach) which is owned by the Ducks but Kings teams get sent there after the check clears.

My point is even if Kings sign you, you may get sent to Lakewood, no matter what a certain high-ranking Kings executive says to your face with 12 lawyers in the room. Do not trust Kings, ever.

You are in for a general culture shock anyway. I drive 1.5 to 2.0 hours ONE WAY to practice from Beverly Hills to Artesia. 45 minutes home. 3x a week.  Get ready to do homework at 10:00 p.m. Games are generally easier because they are on weekends, unless you need to go to Valencia for a 7:00 a.m. game.

Wave in Artesia is  also an option, that's just off the 91 before the 5. If I were you I would play in Carlsbad. Do not underestimate the Hell of LA traffic. I have averaged 25,000 miles a year the last 3 years, probably 20k of that on travel hockey, because we don't have time to drive anywhere else. That does not count tournaments in Quebec, Colorado, Minneapolis, Phoenix, San Jose and my personal favorite sh*thole. Vacantville aka Vacaville.

On the bright side, Ducks are building 4 new rinks somewhere down there. You can look it up.

You will also need to download a program call WAZE which tries to help you circumvent the crashed 18 wheeler full of nuclear waste -- except that everyone else is using WAZE also, so it doesn't really help much.

This doesn't even get us to the actual games, the psychotic parents, the horrible reffing and the fights in the stands and kids whose parents teach them to NEVER pass. As in NEVER.

Does your kid have any other talent? :-) Welcome and good luck.

"Hi, my name is Crash, and I live in a glass house; would you like to throw some rocks with me?"

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »
Not complaining, this is the my reality in So Cal and our new friend should know the truth before he signs with the Yorba Linda Yo Yo's.
I missed the part where you lived in South OC and had to commute to Yorba Linda.  Twaddle...have you read your own posts?  Nevermind, I know the answer to that...

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »
you should try to get on a spring tournament roster for one of the clubs you want to target.  You and the coaches could get a feel for how your son matches up AA out here without much to lose for either party (except expenses for you).

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »
Crash, from where you live the JKs, Bears and Valencia are all probably easier to get to than Ontario.  Why you would discourage someone close to Yorba Linda from going there is a bit perplexing, considering the commuting you were doing all season.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:01:21 PM by lcadad »

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »
Crash wasn't going to Ontario, Wave3 were out of Artesia, which is still a monster drive from BH.  Either way, many a family have commuted from South OC to Yorba. 

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
Crash wasn't going to Ontario, Wave3 were out of Artesia, which is still a monster drive from BH.  Either way, many a family have commuted from South OC to Yorba.

Agreed.  I actually live fairly close to Crash so I know the various commutes pretty well.  I'm closer to Artesia than Crash, and I couldn't imagine trying to do that on weeknights.  Must have been a huge grind.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
My point was simply to do as much homework as possible.

As for Kings, I wouldn't put my son back there if it was next door, unless there is a major house-cleaning (which there will be, but not in time for this season).

We love and respect Bears and have friends there, but while it may look close on a map, it is no better than Artesia from my son's school. The 134 East in rush hour? When we lived in Hancock Park (and played on Bears) it was manageable because you could go up Highland (bad) 101 (variable) then go local on Riverside local, avoiding the 134.

Anyway, I posted to support #4BobbyOrr's suggestion to joint a Spring Tournament team. It doesn't guarantee you a spot, bit it's a great dry run.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »
Totally agree, however, not sure the family can swing it logistically.  On a team that is highly interested in your kid, you might be able to get an invite to play purely for memorial day, but of course that still isn't always indicative of what the team will be come spring, but at least you can get some familiarity with the coach, and see how your kid looks compared to the others on the ice.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 10:02:44 PM »
I just did Westminster from Beverly Hills at 4:00 pm, and it wasn't worse than Artesia, and coming back was actually fast. I was shocked.

Waze took me 10>405>Imperial Highway>105>110 BACK to the 405>21/22 - one hour 15 minutes.

LA is insane. Not that you don't know that.

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »
NJ to SoCal, I don't know if you've found a team yet but, contrary to another's assessment, several players make the commute from San Clemente and Laguna Beach area to OCHC in Yorba Linda and haven't died yet.  You might be able to do a carpool like Transplant mentioned.  The 241 toll road is a must and makes it not a bad drive.  OCHC is forming 2 PW AA teams so choices. Saints is also close for you.  I don't know the coaching there, but they have some good players. If you're good with PW A, Gold Rush Hockey Club just formed and will be out of Lake Forest.  No AA or playoffs, as they just formed.  They have some talented kids from their tournament teams, so should be a good core and good coaching.  JD are a good club, but they usually practice in Anaheim or Westminster.  Don't buy into any promises of their practicing in South County until they build the 4-sheet facility.  Laddy Kohn is the only option for PW AA from them, and he makes the drive from San Clemente to Anaheim/Westminster to coach.  JDs other team PW AA team is an 07 team.  Wave is a good club, but it will be a drive for you and no AA this year.  The 405 and 5 fwys are tough, to put it mildly, and required to get to Artesia Wave or Lakewood Ice. 

I wouldn't recommend venturing further than that until you get a feel for the daily commute hell.  But it just depends on how much time you want to spend on the fwy.  I think all would agree all of the clubs mentioned would be fine for your player's development.  You might want to tweak your changes the following season, as you become familiar with the area and programs.  Welcome to SoCal.  Good luck.

SaintsPWAA2017

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
Bring him to San Diego Saints skate next Wednesday at Carlsbad Icetown. May not be closest mileage wise but many of our OC parents who make the drive down says it is the closest in terms of time. The drive is against traffic and is very easy. We have had a ton of interest in our team and coaching is second to none! Cost is $25/skate and goalies skate free!

620pm-720pm.

Good Luck

San Diego Saints PW AA Coaching Staff

2kids2teamsnomoney

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-2
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »
The Jr. Gulls have a great program they are in Escondido.
I would never go to the Carlsbad rink... Avoid the Wildcats... oops now the Jr Reign at all costs.
The Jr Ducks are good but $$$$.
the Ice Dogs have a great coach they play out of KHS in Anaheim, you only practice at that rink so that's a plus.

You may want to look at the rink location before you buy a home. I wish we would have done this but our son was 3 when we moved here. LOL

Best of luck, the board is a bit crazy but for the most part the families in So Cal are great.... for the most part.