This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Boarding School Information  (Read 6968 times)

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
Boarding School Information
« on: April 09, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
What can you experienced parents say about hockey boarding schools?  Only a select few will get recruited to Shattuck's or some of the other well known hockey academies, but can anyone share some good information about the others and important things to know.  For example, I just recently learned that the time to starting thinking about and applying to these schools is in the fall of the year preceding the year you are thinking about going.  Why?  Because decisions are made in the Spring, along with all financial aid awarded...especially in the New England area.  So, do not wait until your season is over.  Start when your season is beginning for the most opportunities.  It is likely most of the exposure to scouts and colleges are at the NE area schools, but are there other good ones, like in the mid-West?  How about Canadian boarding schools?  Any problems with going there?  I heard they are cheaper and the schools are quite good with solid opportunities for both American and Canadian colleges.  What is clear is that Tier I hockey here is not only expensive, but results in a lot of missed school for those not being home-schooled...all for what?  None of the Southern California teams did very well at Districts or Nationals, even though a local team did make it to Nationals.  For the money, especially with financial aid, boarding school back east might be a better value and also better education.  So, please....if anyone can share the positives and negatives, I think it will be helpful for those families weighing Tier I v. Boarding schools. 

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
Re: Boarding School Information
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
For the money, especially with financial aid, boarding school back east might be a better value and also better education.
You are right, but it's a very complex process.  First and foremost, ask yourself a question: "Am I ready to send my kid 3000 miles away?  Is my kid ready to be away from home? "
The acceptance rates for "good" schools is quite low, so your child needs to be an excellent student and a great hockey player. The SSAT test result should also be high to be able to compete.  To put things in perspective, there are usually 1000 people applying for 100 spots.  Of course, there are schools that are "hockey mills", so if the academics are not important, by all means, consider these options.
The process starts in the fall, with most schools having a deadline of January 15th.  If the coach is not looking for a forward, or a goalie or a defensemen for next season,  chances are if your kid is playing the position that's not being sought, he won't get accepted or get financial aid.  It's a small chunk of change to shell out 50K+ for boarding school per year. It can crush your kid's spirit if you fly back east to tour the schools, go to the interviews, go through the application process (write  gazillion essays, get recommendations from the teachers and counselors, pay application fees to every school) just to find out that the kid didn't get accepted for whatever reason
My suggestion is to move in that direction only if your child has been approached by a scout or scouts from a particular prep school, consider conducting Skype interviews prior to spending money flying back East, staying in a hotel, etc. Stick to a few schools only, you pay admission fees per every application.
Hope this helps.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: Boarding School Information
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
Great post from glilv.  I agree with all of those comments.