This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam changes for 2017-2018  (Read 31403 times)

skates

Re: CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam changes for 2017-2018
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
So I heard today that the Wave may get 1 PW AA team after all coached by Wada. Has anyone else hear this too?

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »
I will sorely regret chiming in on this, but two points on stats.

1. Kids at the PeeWee / Bantam age level are notoriously inconsistent.

2. Good statistical analysis needs sufficient sample size to be useful. The 'any given Sunday' rule.

Bantam Wave 3 played a total of 50 games last year at A, AA and AAA levelS (36/11/3). That's a decent sample size.

But these short tournaments for example are not enought. You get into Denver late and have the 7 am game with the altitude, time difference... you're probably going to lose your first game. Is that representative of your team?

My point is (and I'm a big fan of CORSI etc.) especially at this age, stats are a tool, but 'hockey sense' and experience is a more important tool.

That said, CAHA/SCAHA is so effed up I would be open to considering a relegation system like in soccer. Everyone plays a Labor Day tournament and gets their Tier set based on the results.  Better for a team to move down then spend a whole season getting slaughtered, IMHO. Or moved up, to play at a more competitive level. 

Discuss amongst yourselves. It's not perfect, but it ain't perfect now, either.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:51:37 PM by Crash »

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
Often it is fairly known ahead of time which teams might be suspect one way or another.
One way of self vetting for the "tier designation play-down" is to let all the teams list their desired 3 or 4 opponenents.
those most often selected would then play eachother

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
But wouldn't the selecting teams choose the worst teams to play? Or am I not understanding the concept.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
Often it is fairly known ahead of time which teams might be suspect one way or another.
One way of self vetting for the "tier designation play-down" is to let all the teams list their desired 3 or 4 opponenents.
Now you sound like a CAHA board member :(

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »

What the hell?  :o

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »

Too clever by 1/2.  You are over thinking it.

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
My bad. Just a  "bridge style" play in the presence of poker players.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »
Wasn't there a CAHA meeting over the weekend? Did anyone hear anything with more details?

HockeyDadx3

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +54/-24
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
Skates has stated in the past that his kid is an '06 who will be playing Peewee this coming season. 

He's also a numbers guy who was active in the Peewee A thread making predictions using stats to model winners and losers.  I think at times he perhaps forgets that this isn't fantasy hockey.

Correct my son played squirt last season and is moving up to PW. Not trying to join the crazy parents with AA this coming season. But I do know those PW A teams from last season the bottom half starting with seed 7 should not be playing AA. Hate to tell you this, but life is made up of stats! And I can tell you that if your team or player is playing AA and you were 7th seed or below, good luck at keeping up or sitting the bench. Dont forget my stats were pretty accurate with last seasons top 4.

Tons of great insight for a parent who did not have a kid playing PWAA or Tier hockey for that matter  ::)

haha

Kangaroo Jack

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +100/-61
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 02:41:08 PM »
Skates has stated in the past that his kid is an '06 who will be playing Peewee this coming season. 

He's also a numbers guy who was active in the Peewee A thread making predictions using stats to model winners and losers.  I think at times he perhaps forgets that this isn't fantasy hockey.

Correct my son played squirt last season and is moving up to PW. Not trying to join the crazy parents with AA this coming season. But I do know those PW A teams from last season the bottom half starting with seed 7 should not be playing AA. Hate to tell you this, but life is made up of stats! And I can tell you that if your team or player is playing AA and you were 7th seed or below, good luck at keeping up or sitting the bench. Dont forget my stats were pretty accurate with last seasons top 4.

Tons of great insight for a parent who did not have a kid playing PWAA or Tier hockey for that matter  ::)

haha
So any kid on any PeeWee A team that was seeded 7th or below is a Duster? 
I believe in #daddycoaches 🧐

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »

haha
So any kid on any PeeWee A team that was seeded 7th or below is a Duster?

Development and Stats change faster than skate sizes at PW and below.

Stark

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
http://www.caha.com/

CAHA Tier II Flight System Administration Guidelines for 2017-18 Season

Jun 19, 2017  7:32 PM

On June 17, 2017, the CAHA Board of Directors adopted the following CAHA Tier II Flight System Administration Guidelines

1)   All Tier II teams will be required to participate in Preseason Evaluation Jamboree; failure to attend will result in disqualification from all Tier II participation.
 2)   In order to ‘Flight’ a division there must be a minimum of 12 teams (6 teams per flight minimum).
 3)   Flight 1 will have a maximum of 10 teams.
 4)   CAHA may schedule multiple rounds of games within the CAHA weekends to assure each team gets 12 – 18 games.
 5)   If after preseason jamboree evaluation the Evaluation Committee determines a particular division cannot be equitably split into two divisions that division will play as a whole without being split into two flights.
 6)   Evaluation Jamboree format will be 1‐hour mini game slots, with a 3 minute warmup, (2) 25 minute runtime periods, and a 1 minute intermission between periods.
 7)   Teams will play minimum of four (4) games (any team may be asked to play a 5th game at the jamboree at the request of the evaluation committee).
 8 )   The two weeks following the Preseason Evaluation Jamboree, teams are subject to being required to play further evaluation “prove me” game(s) within their respective leagues (SCAHA/NORCAL) if requested by the Evaluation Committee.
 9)   CAHA will ensure no less than three (3) evaluators are assessing each age division (if possible, evaluators will not review multiple age divisions).
 10)   Tier II Playdowns will still be an 8 team playdown.
 11)   Flight 1/Flight 2 Playdown Scenarios: a.   Flight 1 has 6 teams; #1 and #2 seed from Flight 2 advance to playdowns.
 b.   Flight 1 has 7 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 advances to playdowns.
 c.   Flight 1 has 8 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, winner advances to playdowns.
 d.   Flight 1 has 9 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, winner advances to playdowns.
 e.   Flight 1 has 10 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, winner advances to playdowns.
 12)   When Flight 2 #1 seed has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, the Flight 1 team shall be the home team, with the Flight 2 team traveling to play said game.
 13)   In the event a Flight 2 #1 seed declines the opportunity for the play‐in game, the Flight 1 #8 seed will advance to playdowns.

2017 Jamboree Information:
 -   The 2017 CAHA Tier II Jamboree will be held at Sharks Ice San Jose September 1st – 4th.
 -   Games may start as early as 5pm on Friday and may end as late as 6pm on Monday.
 -   If needed, games may be scheduled at Sharks Ice – Fremont
 -   Teams are not required to stay at host hotels.
 -   The first two (2) games for each team shall be pre-determined; the following games will be scheduled based on the Evaluation Committee recommendations.
 -   The fee for the Jamboree is $900.00 per team , payable to CAHA, and is due by August 20th to:
 Laura Cahn
 349 Nancy Circle
 Vacaville, CA 95687

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 09:36:42 PM »
Kind of curious.  From where are you going to get the 3 "Evaluators" per division?

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »
http://www.caha.com/

CAHA Tier II Flight System Administration Guidelines for 2017-18 Season

Jun 19, 2017  7:32 PM

On June 17, 2017, the CAHA Board of Directors adopted the following CAHA Tier II Flight System Administration Guidelines

1)   All Tier II teams will be required to participate in Preseason Evaluation Jamboree; failure to attend will result in disqualification from all Tier II participation.
 2)   In order to ‘Flight’ a division there must be a minimum of 12 teams (6 teams per flight minimum).
 3)   Flight 1 will have a maximum of 10 teams.
 4)   CAHA may schedule multiple rounds of games within the CAHA weekends to assure each team gets 12 – 18 games.
 5)   If after preseason jamboree evaluation the Evaluation Committee determines a particular division cannot be equitably split into two divisions that division will play as a whole without being split into two flights.
 6)   Evaluation Jamboree format will be 1‐hour mini game slots, with a 3 minute warmup, (2) 25 minute runtime periods, and a 1 minute intermission between periods.
 7)   Teams will play minimum of four (4) games (any team may be asked to play a 5th game at the jamboree at the request of the evaluation committee).
 8 )   The two weeks following the Preseason Evaluation Jamboree, teams are subject to being required to play further evaluation “prove me” game(s) within their respective leagues (SCAHA/NORCAL) if requested by the Evaluation Committee.
 9)   CAHA will ensure no less than three (3) evaluators are assessing each age division (if possible, evaluators will not review multiple age divisions).
 10)   Tier II Playdowns will still be an 8 team playdown.
 11)   Flight 1/Flight 2 Playdown Scenarios: a.   Flight 1 has 6 teams; #1 and #2 seed from Flight 2 advance to playdowns.
 b.   Flight 1 has 7 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 advances to playdowns.
 c.   Flight 1 has 8 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, winner advances to playdowns.
 d.   Flight 1 has 9 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, winner advances to playdowns.
 e.   Flight 1 has 10 teams; #1 seed from Flight 2 has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, winner advances to playdowns.
 12)   When Flight 2 #1 seed has play‐in game against Flight 1 #8 seed, the Flight 1 team shall be the home team, with the Flight 2 team traveling to play said game.
 13)   In the event a Flight 2 #1 seed declines the opportunity for the play‐in game, the Flight 1 #8 seed will advance to playdowns.

2017 Jamboree Information:
 -   The 2017 CAHA Tier II Jamboree will be held at Sharks Ice San Jose September 1st – 4th.
 -   Games may start as early as 5pm on Friday and may end as late as 6pm on Monday.
 -   If needed, games may be scheduled at Sharks Ice – Fremont
 -   Teams are not required to stay at host hotels.
 -   The first two (2) games for each team shall be pre-determined; the following games will be scheduled based on the Evaluation Committee recommendations.
 -   The fee for the Jamboree is $900.00 per team , payable to CAHA, and is due by August 20th to:
 Laura Cahn
 349 Nancy Circle
 Vacaville, CA 95687

I don't even know where to begin with this and how one could come up with it.  I've never heard of evaluation committees ranking hockey teams.  I thought jamborees were for mites and run time for blow out games.  And they are going to do this at all tier II levels?
I'll start with this:

5)   If after preseason jamboree evaluation the Evaluation Committee determines a particular division cannot be equitably split into two divisions that division will play as a whole without being split into two flights.

Whoever went to this much work to come up with this, I highly doubt there will only be one division. 
What if one of the 23 PWA teams decides they are way better than their competition and they want to move up? 
To tip my hat to Skates for a second, there are some pretty good people on this board at reading stats for games and know a lot of players on a lot of teams.  To me this whole thing opens up a heck of a lot of room for second guessing.  Was it really necessary to schedule a jamboree from Friday til Monday at 6:00 PM to figure this out? Could games have been scheduled down here and up north?  I guarantee whoever has set this up has already selected four of the top teams.  What happens when one of those top four teams tanks two of four short games in San Jose?  Will the committee demote the team to a lower flight?  Thanks for trying, but I don't really get it.  If nothing else, I guess we'll all have some interesting things to read on this board for the next week.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:13:23 PM by Hockey05 »