This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam/U16 changes for 2017-2018  (Read 29822 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam/U16 changes for 2017-2018
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:30:42 PM »
I've spoken to a number of people about these changes.  From those conversations and some discussion here, I received a number of ideas as to how best to communicate these concerns to CAHA. 

Obviously one way to handle this is through the member clubs, but the reality is that the CAHA board already passed this right through to implementation. 

In searching for another avenue of expression, there's the email address provided with the announcement, however, direct communications doesn't provide any visibility or transparency.

If you are concerned or downright disagree with the plans for CAHA Tier 2, there's another option:  this online Petition.

The url for the Petition for sharing is:  https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/call-to-abandon-unnecessary-and-problematic

If there's enough interest, I'll make sure that the petition is forwarded to the CAHA board. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:32:41 PM by lcadad »

dreal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +11/-0
Re: CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam/U16 changes for 2017-2018
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »

If you feel strongly about changing the Tier II format, I was told to attend the CAHA board meeting.  If enough people show up to express their disagreement, the possibility exists that they will revisit the issue.  The petition is a great idea, but actual people, expressing their concerns is another.  Additionally, I was told that some AA coaches are working on an alternate format to present at the meeting.  Here is the information regarding the CAHA meeting.

[font=]The CAHA Meeting is June 17th 9:00 at[/font]
[font=]DoubleTree LAX-El Segundo[/font]
[font=]1985 E Grand Ave [/font]
[font=]El Segundo CA [/font]

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »

If you feel strongly about changing the Tier II format, I was told to attend the CAHA board meeting.  If enough people show up to express their disagreement, the possibility exists that they will revisit the issue.  The petition is a great idea, but actual people, expressing their concerns is another.  Additionally, I was told that some AA coaches are working on an alternate format to present at the meeting.  Here is the information regarding the CAHA meeting.

Ohh noo.. you mean actually get involved??

Now that is a novel idea!!

skates

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »

Too bad the meeting is after tryouts, should be before.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »

Too bad the meeting is after tryouts, should be before.

Do you really think this rule or anything they come up with will stop AA families from trying out for AA?

dreal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +11/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
I don't believe it will impact the number of players/families involved in AA this season.  We all dedicate a considerable sum of money, time and energy into our kid's hockey lives. If you don't believe that this is a better format, express your opinion to CAHA... I didn't believe that last season's format was better than previous year's format, and  I'm not sure about the new format. 

Puckdaddy

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +4/-9
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:22:29 AM »
There is a reason that the Ducks and Kings High School Leagues continue to grow and improve and AA and below dwindles.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 06:52:06 AM »
There is a reason that the Ducks and Kings High School Leagues continue to grow and improve and AA and below dwindles.

Which is great for a lot of kids and families but a detriment to those boys that would like to play after high school. 

Puckdaddy

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +4/-9
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 12:04:09 AM »

Which is great for a lot of kids and families but a detriment to those boys that would like to play after high school.

While there are always some exceptions to the rule, most of those looking to play after High School are not playing in AA and below.  The High School leagues are not a replacement for AAA.  For AA and below it might be a different story.

Numuvs

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »

While there are always some exceptions to the rule, most of those looking to play after High School are not playing in AA and below.  The High School leagues are not a replacement for AAA.  For AA and below it might be a different story.

There are different pathways... My son got 18 offers to play NCAA College Hockey and NEVER played one season of AAA at any level. He played only 1 season of Midget AA. After 16's, he opted to go to play in the WSHL, which had better player development than any of the AAA choices available and cost THOUSANDS of $ less. He did NO East Coast travel, practiced 4x Week (2 hour sessions), and we watched him play every weekend.
My 2001 will follow this same development pathway... except now HS seems to be a better option than 16AA because there is no unnecessary traveling, every game is on video and no unnecessary expenses.
The same Colleges come to the WSHL Showcases... my son met with Air Force Academy, St. Mary's, Quinnipiac, and quite a few DIII schools... if your kid is developing, the Scouts will find him!

What draws the NCAA Div I and DIII Colleges to the WSHL? The influx of import Euro and Slavic talent has made the WSHL as competitive as the NAHL and BCHL... even though, the WSHL is pay to play league, the cost is about the same as what it would cost to billet in the NAHL or BCHL.

Obviously, everyone will take their own pathway, but it's not impossible to skip AAA, play Juniors and NCAA college Hockey.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:18:22 AM by Numuvs »

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 09:41:48 AM »
There seems to be a fair amount of opportunity for the top players in the WSHL now.  I think that will only improve as some skilled kids stay home rather than head east.  Much like ASU.

There has even been one large exception named Adam Vay.  He earned a 2 year contract with the Minnesota Wild while playing goalie for the WSHL El Paso Rhinos.  I guess you would have to chalk that up to the old adage, "If you are good enough, they will find you".  Good for him!

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »

There are different pathways... My son got 18 offers to play NCAA College Hockey and NEVER played one season of AAA at any level. He played only 1 season of Midget AA. After 16's, he opted to go to play in the WSHL, which had better player development than any of the AAA choices available and cost THOUSANDS of $ less. He did NO East Coast travel, practiced 4x Week (2 hour sessions), and we watched him play every weekend.
My 2001 will follow this same development pathway... except now HS seems to be a better option than 16AA because there is no unnecessary traveling, every game is on video and no unnecessary expenses.
The same Colleges come to the WSHL Showcases... my son met with Air Force Academy, St. Mary's, Quinnipiac, and quite a few DIII schools... if your kid is developing, the Scouts will find him!

What draws the NCAA Div I and DIII Colleges to the WSHL? The influx of import Euro and Slavic talent has made the WSHL as competitive as the NAHL and BCHL... even though, the WSHL is pay to play league, the cost is about the same as what it would cost to billet in the NAHL or BCHL.

Obviously, everyone will take their own pathway, but it's not impossible to skip AAA, play Juniors and NCAA college Hockey.

http://nahl.com/player-advancement/college/index.cfm?season=2015
http://www.wshl.pointstreaksites.com/view/westernstateshockeyleague/commitments-13

compare college commitments from the WSHL 2015/16 to the NAHL for the same year.  in the WSHL, maybe the good players are there , but the scholarships aren't.  The WSHL even padded their list with ACHA commitments.  Club hockey?  1 D-1 commitment and about 25 D-3's and the D-3's don't even offer scholarships.   I don't see how pay to play could cost the same as billeting in the NAHL , the cost of a kids sticks alone would probably be higher than the billet expenses in those leagues where the sticks are free. And the BCHL has no billet fees anyway.  Any money you save in AA gets spent in pay to play juniors and then on club or d-3 college tuition.   Seems like it would cost more. Seems to me if the kid is good, get him on a AAA team that will get him in front of the eyeballs that can get him into free to play juniors which will get him in front of the eyeballs that can get him a college scholarship.  It''s a lot harder to get but the cost of AAA plus free to play Juniors plus a college scholarship would most likely be less than the cost of AA plus pay to play juniors plus college tuition.  You are right there are many different pathways, but that doesn't make them equal. 

bandicoot

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
Our elite AAA leagues of 3 teams.  Travel 10 times do ok..come home.  I forgot SoCal is sending so may kids to the show.  The kids that really want it can do it..not the parents.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
Our elite AAA leagues of 3 teams.  Travel 10 times do ok..come home.  I forgot SoCal is sending so may kids to the show.  The kids that really want it can do it..not the parents.

2017 NHL draft

California players that will get drafted:
Yamamoto
Lodnia
Chemlevski
St. IVany
Khodorenko

Will probably get drafted:
McManus

Has a shot:
Guttman

Had a shot but missed year with injury:
McGrew

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Thanks for sharing information and your experience.  And for those that might not be aware, there are several WSHL teams in the local area, including Valencia, Long Beach and San Diego.