This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tier I Tryouts  (Read 26820 times)

Xfactor_56

Tier I Tryouts
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
Good luck to all the players at tryouts this weekend! 

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
Re: Tier I Tryouts
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »
Good luck to all the players at tryouts this weekend!

Yes, good luck indeed!  Especially to the players who made teams without even showing up to the tryout!  What a sham So Cal hockey is!

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »
Also heard today that on a JK team, not only did a player not try out, but his DAD's name was on the list of players making the team! 

coachbombay

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »
ducks and kings are making Trump look like mother Teresa. the Ducks midget tryouts last night was a joke. I think it was a cover up for CJ's shenanigans. Really! why the hell would you combine the arguably the two most important tier division and have 100 kids out there knees and elbows bumping into each other, unless you were covering something up. How the hell do you evaluate under those conditions. I know the teams are basically picked before the tryouts through their clinics, but to do what they did last night was an insult.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 12:51:18 PM »
ducks and kings are making Trump look like mother Teresa. the Ducks midget tryouts last night was a joke. I think it was a cover up for CJ's shenanigans. Really! why the hell would you combine the arguably the two most important tier division and have 100 kids out there knees and elbows bumping into each other, unless you were covering something up. How the hell do you evaluate under those conditions. I know the teams are basically picked before the tryouts through their clinics, but to do what they did last night was an insult.

What the hell does Trump have to do with any of this?  Please, no masked Antifas in the stands this season, please.

Puckdaddy

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +4/-9
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »
It's simple math. 20 man rosters. Coaches have already picked at least 15 skaters and one goalie before tryouts start. That leaves 3 skater positions and a goalie spot for bubbles and a surprise that shows up at tryouts.

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
Crazy weekend!!  BIG changes at the 16UAAA JD!  A bunch of long term JD boys told to wait 48 hours before the coach decides which one because he is trying to recruit others??  Wow!  Those other boys must be really "special".  I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing.  Any news at the JK?  I hope this weekend didn't put any dampers on Mother's Day weekends, but I'm sure it did.  Lots of $$ and lots of missed school.  Perhaps a blessing for those moving back to AA when you read other posts in another Midget thread. 

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:15:49 AM »
This was a 3 ring circus. 
One has to wonder, why they even hold the tryouts.  Coaches switching clubs and kids getting cut and scrambling to find another place.  As a result kids with better abilities got cut to accommodate the kids following the coach.  The goalie situation was even worse

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:41:34 AM »
Why is this a surprise to anyone?

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »
So here is probably the most stupid question ever...but here I go anyway. How do you get on a Tier 1 team? We aren't exactly close to any of the big clubs, but maybe we need to start attending their pre tryout clinics to at least get in front of the coaches. We had one tryout this weekend and the coach liked what he saw, but wanted to keep his options open. Hmmm.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »
Why is this a surprise to anyone?

It's not a surprise, but it's so disheartening for the kids, especially doesn't show up for the first day of the tryouts, shows up the next day and nails the spot.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
So here is probably the most stupid question ever...but here I go anyway. How do you get on a Tier 1 team? We aren't exactly close to any of the big clubs, but maybe we need to start attending their pre tryout clinics to at least get in front of the coaches. We had one tryout this weekend and the coach liked what he saw, but wanted to keep his options open. Hmmm.

Take lots of privates from the coach

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
I see how that would be helpful for most positions, but what if the kid is a goalie?

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »
I see how that would be helpful for most positions, but what if the kid is a goalie?

You take privates from the goalie coach.  Who do you think "wags the tail" when it comes to these decisions?

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »

Take lots of privates from the coach

That is no guarantee either.  My son has been taking lessons from the coaches he wanted to play for over the last two years.  Still cut.  Meanwhile,  my wife overhears a conversation of kids a year older.  They all know my son,  and comment on how good he has been playing. He has spent a bunch at clinics with the kids. They also say it's sad, because they know he won't make the team.  "Yeah, ##### sucks."  They all said he should try out for another team.  "Yeah, because #### likes him."  Sad state of local AAA hockey.

Good luck finding a coach that appreciates your kid.