This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tier Tryouts  (Read 47081 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: Tier Tryouts
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
Isn't there a rule against mass recruitment?  A team can not sign too many kuds coming from the same club/team?

As long as the team consists of 25% that played with the club last year it's fine now. PDR

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
Isn't there a rule against mass recruitment?  A team can not sign too many kuds coming from the same club/team?

As long as the team consists of 25% that played with the club last year it's fine now. PDR

PK, I think there is a "Block" recruitment rule out there... No? Not 100% on the details but a certain % can't all come from 1 team.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »

Not that I know of.  What is supposed to prevent that is PDR.  But 25% is a pretty low bar. 

WIPIH

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-6
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 10:21:01 PM »
Heard from a reliable source that some wave3 parents are trying to move away from jr jucks bantam AA. One line played a lot for extended period of time during carmen starr. They lost the final due to extended shifts. So mass recruitment may not be a problem if some families decide to go elsewhere

WIPIH

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-6
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »
Same source also confirmed, Unlike popular belief crash is not one of such parents. He just has a sharp tongue that no one cares about him on the team.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 11:11:49 PM »

Not that I know of.  What is supposed to prevent that is PDR.  But 25% is a pretty low bar.
No, but X amount can't come from 1 club and all go to another? Very separate from PDR. Maybe it changed?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:18:42 PM by MO-ICETIME »

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 06:59:30 AM »
Well, first I will answer practically.

The PDR rule went back to 25% this year from 50% last year. Debate at your leisure.

Philosophically, shouldn't the kids have the freedom to play for the coach they want and where they want? They are not chattel to the teams after a season ends.

Who should have more power? The teams or the parents/kids? Remember absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Let's discuss among ourselves without rancor. Really, I'll try.

Rainman

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-4
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »
Block recruitment is  5 players for squirts, and 6 players for pw and up according to the 16-17 SCAHA guide book.

No, but X amount can't come from 1 club and all go to another? Very separate from PDR. Maybe it changed?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
Well that might be the issue then, because Scaha and Caha have 2 seperate sets of rules.  I have read through the CAHA book a few times and found nothing that addresses block recruitment.

Bones

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
It's rarely recruitment that has kids moving to different clubs.  It's mostly unhappiness with a coach, system or club that caused families to move.

If a family wants to play AAA and their club doesn't offer it or can't fill a competitive roster they must transfer clubs.  If a club is unable to attract the talent needed to compete on the AAA level they are forced to drop to AA which happened to the San Diego team.

Top kids had no choice but to leave if they wanted to play AAA.  The Gulls PWAAA and BAAA teams were dropped to AA.  I heard they lost something like 12 players to other teams which wasn't due to recruitment.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
I know two 03 Kings went to Shattuck.  Where did the others go?

Yes, very good team, but not surprising they are starting to leave.  There will be as many or more that leave next year.

I know of 3

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 04:54:57 PM »

Yes, very good team, but not surprising they are starting to leave.  There will be as many or more that leave next year.

I know of 3

Good for those kids making it to SSM, but it's kinda crazy that SSM is taking more and more kids all the way from CA... I know of a few CA kids currently playing there, and I always wonder if it's a connection thing (it's always about who you know, right?) or some really legitimately made it on the roster. Just hard for me to believe that there aren't any great player between here and Minn that SSM are looking to pick kids up all the way from CA. But seriously, good for those who's going on to bigger and better things.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »

I know of 3

Good for those kids making it to SSM, but it's kinda crazy that SSM is taking more and more kids all the way from CA... I know of a few CA kids currently playing there, and I always wonder if it's a connection thing (it's always about who you know, right?) or some really legitimately made it on the roster. Just hard for me to believe that there aren't any great player between here and Minn that SSM are looking to pick kids up all the way from CA. But seriously, good for those who's going on to bigger and better things.

Usually for a good prep school (and not a hockey mill), it's a combination of academics (good grades) and great hockey, moral character, etc

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
4 Players of the 03 Kings went to SSM. 1 Goalie,2 Def, 1 Forward.  Its also not cheap. So you have to also consider who can afford the program as well.  The 5th player- Def went to Delta Hockey Academy in British Columbia. They were ranked 2nd in Canada for Bantam Majors last season. SSM was forth in the USA According to My Hockey Rankings.

What you should be looking at is what makes these kids and team so different and how they climbed to this level in Southern California to be in the top players & team in North America
. This 03 team started just like any other year for the Kings in the beginning. ( again am I wrong)

I am sure this team travels alot so expenses are high (unless they have a sponsor). But they have been strong since the Brick year it seems.  This thou is the first year that so many moved on ( I think) others know more then me

. But this also helps others who have joined the program and will get better as well.  One question- Why dont they seem to have issues like other programs. I would think they have their key players , shorten benches, etc.  But it works, so if it works them why cant other programs ( age groups, in other areas) create this, so it works for them.

If anyone knows more about this , it would be interesting to hear. How is Crashes team so a mess and this one is not.

or is it the parents listen to the coaches and just pay the bill ???

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 12:22:40 AM »
4 Players of the 03 Kings went to SSM. 1 Goalie,2 Def, 1 Forward.  Its also not cheap. So you have to also consider who can afford the program as well.  The 5th player- Def went to Delta Hockey Academy in British Columbia. They were ranked 2nd in Canada for Bantam Majors last season. SSM was forth in the USA According to My Hockey Rankings.

What you should be looking at is what makes these kids and team so different and how they climbed to this level in Southern California to be in the top players & team in North America
. This 03 team started just like any other year for the Kings in the beginning. ( again am I wrong)

I am sure this team travels alot so expenses are high (unless they have a sponsor). But they have been strong since the Brick year it seems.  This thou is the first year that so many moved on ( I think) others know more then me

. But this also helps others who have joined the program and will get better as well.  One question- Why dont they seem to have issues like other programs. I would think they have their key players , shorten benches, etc.  But it works, so if it works them why cant other programs ( age groups, in other areas) create this, so it works for them.

If anyone knows more about this , it would be interesting to hear. How is Crashes team so a mess and this one is not.

or is it the parents listen to the coaches and just pay the bill ???

Hockey in So Cal is just crazy.  Starts with ice time at stupid costs.   Then add stupid politics.   My son was invited to play with a team in New England.   $7k all inclusive.   No wonder why players leave