This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee A 2017-2018  (Read 118376 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: Peewee A 2017-2018
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
Teams that placed 11th and under definitely should not of been playing A. 5th through 10th were true A teams. The top 4 could of easily played flight 1 AA and the flight 2 teams should of been playing A. Both wave teams scrimmaged some flight 1 AA teams and tied them so yes they should of been playing AA flight 1.

It is doubtful you saw much AA this year.  Stockton seems like a solid team that should have played AA this season, and I was a bit surprised they didn't.  With that said, they lost to GSE2 twice, who finished flight1 in 9th place.  I did see that Stockton knocked off the Blackhawks in a game.  To claim that the top 4 PWA teams should have been in AA Flight1 is to ignore the results of those rare times when they played up.   

Playing lowly ranked AA teams from other states doesn't prove much about local competitiveness which was pretty good.   Myhockeyrankings isn't perfect, especially when there isn't enough head to head competition to settle things definitively, but it certainly doesn't agree with you. 

There are example to be had, as in for example, JD2 PWA, who played in Tinseltown AA President's day division, went 0-4 including losing to the Flight2 Icedogs.  They lost 2-0 to Krivo hockey school, a team that the flight2 champs Valencia beat 8-1.   They also lost to the last place Flight2 Reign in the SD tournament.  Wave teams of course, would have had at least one team in AA, but it's impossible to say if that team would have been flight2 or flight1.

Goldrush, lost to Flight2 OCHC2 in AZ by a goal.  Again you can look at how Valencia did vs. OCHC2 in CAHA...

I understand the frustration of playing in a 22 team division.  That system produces anomalies and obviously a lot of blow outs but extrapolating that to a belief they would succeed against higher division teams, when there is little to no data that supports the opinion isn't a great way to go about making that statement.

It does look like Cal hockey is moving towards a Chicago style flighting system, so we will see if this gets adopted by Scaha and becomes institutionalized here. 

Bantams is a major reset.  Wada wave for example, who won PWAA states last year saw limited Flight2 success this season.  Obviously the team wasn't entirely the same one as the year prior, but they not only didn't win Flight2, but also lost in the Flight2 tourney.  Bantam is a whole different game, and people who have an '05 should be more worried about a safe and successful transition to "real" hockey and less about whether they played BB, A or AA.   

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »
Teams that placed 11th and under definitely should not of been playing A. 5th through 10th were true A teams. The top 4 could of easily played flight 1 AA and the flight 2 teams should of been playing A. Both wave teams scrimmaged some flight 1 AA teams and tied them so yes they should of been playing AA flight 1.

It is doubtful you saw much AA this year.  Stockton seems like a solid team that should have played AA this season, and I was a bit surprised they didn't.  With that said, they lost to GSE2 twice, who finished flight1 in 9th place.  I did see that Stockton knocked off the Blackhawks in a game.  To claim that the top 4 PWA teams should have been in AA Flight1 is to ignore the results of those rare times when they played up.   

Playing lowly ranked AA teams from other states doesn't prove much about local competitiveness which was pretty good.   Myhockeyrankings isn't perfect, especially when there isn't enough head to head competition to settle things definitively, but it certainly doesn't agree with you. 

There are example to be had, as in for example, JD2 PWA, who played in Tinseltown AA President's day division, went 0-4 including losing to the Flight2 Icedogs.  They lost 2-0 to Krivo hockey school, a team that the flight2 champs Valencia beat 8-1.   They also lost to the last place Flight2 Reign in the SD tournament.  Wave teams of course, would have had at least one team in AA, but it's impossible to say if that team would have been flight2 or flight1.

Goldrush, lost to Flight2 OCHC2 in AZ by a goal.  Again you can look at how Valencia did vs. OCHC2 in CAHA...

I understand the frustration of playing in a 22 team division.  That system produces anomalies and obviously a lot of blow outs but extrapolating that to a belief they would succeed against higher division teams, when there is little to no data that supports the opinion isn't a great way to go about making that statement.

It does look like Cal hockey is moving towards a Chicago style flighting system, so we will see if this gets adopted by Scaha and becomes institutionalized here. 

Bantams is a major reset.  Wada wave for example, who won PWAA states last year saw limited Flight2 success this season.  Obviously the team wasn't entirely the same one as the year prior, but they not only didn't win Flight2, but also lost in the Flight2 tourney.  Bantam is a whole different game, and people who have an '05 should be more worried about a safe and successful transition to "real" hockey and less about whether they played BB, A or AA.
    For you 05 parents that  believe you lil Gretzky is going to dominate Bantams in your minor year are in for a shock.  Even the shity 04 teams are going to give you trouble.  HUGE physical jump from minor to major major year.  WW was a physical/skilled team their PW year yet they were usually outmatched physically by the major year bantams this year.  Having a 2 flight system  ( if they have it next year) will help minor year teams.   Just be happy if your lil Greyzkys doesn' get hurt.  Bright spot....the folling year, if he' still playing, won' t be a lil Greyzky any more. :)

Go Kings_26

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-22
« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Valencia was Flight 2 top seed after the season, but lost in the playoffs for flight 1.  The Flight 2 Champions were the Jr Kings, not Valencia.  Jr. Kings had defeated Valencia in the Presidents day tourney a few weeks early as well.  On another note, looking back a couple posts in AA, Jr. Kings defeated Ducks 1 5-4 but apparently they didn't have their best kids, although several AAA from the previous season were in attendance.  Funny, because the 05 AAA team played the full crew this week and were missing several of their top players.  They, on the other hand, were still able to defeat Ducks 1 handedly 6 to 2.  Good lucks Ducks 1.  You'll need it!

Carl Henry

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-5
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »
Bear71, since you always like bringing up the Ducks 2 I will be more than happy to post when our tryouts are for next year. No guarantees either of our kids will make it though!!!! Sunday will be a tough game, come join us in Valencia on Sunday since I know you guys have been on Vacation since March 4th. Lol

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »
Bear71, since you always like bringing up the Ducks 2 I will be more than happy to post when our tryouts are for next year. No guarantees either of our kids will make it though!!!! Sunday will be a tough game, come join us in Valencia on Sunday since I know you guys have been on Vacation since March 4th. Lol

Didn't know there was room available in the Hobo Village (copyright Kangaroo Jack).  I know the Ducks typically get preferential treatment, but I was under the impression that tryouts were June 1 for everyone, but thanks for looking out for my son.

Carl Henry

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-5
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »
Bear71, we have two spots for sure, their moving up. Rumor has it that they may have a shorter bench and are looking for a cheerleader if your interested. Lol

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
Valencia was Flight 2 top seed after the season, but lost in the playoffs for flight 1.  The Flight 2 Champions were the Jr Kings, not Valencia.  Jr. Kings had defeated Valencia in the Presidents day tourney a few weeks early as well.

That's hilarious.  Flight2 champions!  Did you guys get a banner for that? 

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »
of course we got a banner we won the championsip

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2018, 10:35:21 PM »
of course we got a banner we won the championsip

Indeed you won the end of year round robin of teams that were between 12th and 15th in the standings.   Kudos. 

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2018, 06:38:47 PM »
Well the Flyers tried to fly too high and their wings got burned and they tumbled into the sea.  It's the ancient tragic tale of a classic case of hubris that plays out over and over in life even to this day.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
Well the Flyers tried to fly too high and their wings got burned and they tumbled into the sea.  It's the ancient tragic tale of a classic case of hubris that plays out over and over in life even to this day.

It's the tale of a team that was made up of older kids that were better than yours, and outplayed and outshot your team in every game they played you, typically with the margin being 10+ shots.  The coach also played our 3rd line against your team -- a lot -  sorry to break it to you.  True story!  In your glorious victory at President's day, where you got out to a big lead and then held on for dear life, all your goals were scored against the 3rd line, except for a PP goal.   You did score any number of PP goals against us, and candidly, our PK was not good all year, and I think we could have done a lot better but it was never prioritized as something we should practice for, unfortunately.

Your goalie is really good and kept you in a lot of games.  Loved watching that kid compete, and truthfully i admire the compete of most of your kids going up against our mostly older kids... yet I digress. 

Anyways, we won the opportunity to have a one game winner take all playoff vs. the flight1 8th place team and then went up and won that playoff, winning the opportunity to play in the play downs as #8.  We had no interest in a Flight2 playoff against teams we had already beaten numerous times, as it didn't seem like much of an achievement to win. 

At the start of the season, we had a reasonable goal of making the Flight1 playoffs.  Due to circumstances beyond our control our team was placed in Flight2, but we overcame that obstacle, and got to the play downs.  In doing so, any reasonable competitor of ours should have been congratulating our kids and rooting for us, as it gives credibility to your results, but I realize that is not how you roll.

Out of our 2 play down games, we were in one we played close, had many scoring chances and might have won, but did not.  Not at all a bad way to end the season.  We made the CAHA play downs and you played in a consolation SCAHA tournament that was hatched partway through the season.

As to how CAHA looks at this,  as we both had the unfortunate experience of being experimental offering for the new flight system, the powers that be put so little thought into it, that they didn't even code the statistics system to keep track of Flight2 team scoring in the playins, play downs, or the Flight2 tournament.  That is the last laugh, and it was on both of us.

Wags_Sr

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »
Hey,

Isn’t this a Peewee A blog?

Who’s got a line on this weekend’s SCAHA 12U A Final?

I smell a low scoring game... I’ve always been partial to the Goldrush. Most depth in the league... In my opinion.

But that Wave 1 team has been very impressive all year.

Go Peewee A!
:-)

Xocdad53

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »
I don't know what these guys are talking about... Call me stupid...

Xocdad53

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2018, 08:58:55 AM »
Gold rush vs Wave (1)--- 2-1 or 3-2 anyone's game. Will be a god one to watch..

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
I don't know what these guys are talking about... Call me stupid...