This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Next up! Tier II tryouts  (Read 32580 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: Next up! Tier II tryouts
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 10:38:28 PM »
Looks like no 18s for Valencia this year.

What happened? are they just playing with juinior team?

coachbombay

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
DID THE  jr KINGS field a 16AA team?

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »
Looks like no 18s for Valencia this year.

What happened? are they just playing with juinior team?

Only 2 skaters showed up.  Both from out of town.  I don't know what happened to the local players. 

cog254

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
I find it a bit suspicious that the JK are able to field AAA teams and are required to field A'A teams in same age group by CAHA...but put "zero" effort into marketing those teams and then nobody shows up so no teams...yet they still have precious AAA teams..."oh sorry we tried, but nobody showed up"...and they still have AAA

DFENS

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-23
  • Gruntled
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
I find it a bit suspicious that the JK are able to field AAA teams and are required to field A'A teams in same age group by CAHA...but put "zero" effort into marketing those teams and then nobody shows up so no teams...yet they still have precious AAA teams..."oh sorry we tried, but nobody showed up"...and they still have AAA
All I can find in the guidebook is section 8.3, which says that clubs must have at least 2 tier II teams to have tier I. Jk will have two pw teams, including their underage birth year team, and maybe a bantam team.
Honestly, I think jk has an ice availability issue and can only take on a limited number of non-tier 1 teams. The smart thing for them is to emphasize A and B through Bantam to feed the High School League.

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
I see that 18aa have a few 2001 plying on there teams. I know Wave lost 2 really good forwards to 18aa and one to 16AAA. I think that those 3 boys were there 3 out of 5 top forwards. I think the JDAA-1 team is the team to beat. 

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
All I can find in the guidebook is section 8.3, which says that clubs must have at least 2 tier II teams to have tier I. Jk will have two pw teams, including their underage birth year team, and maybe a bantam team.
Honestly, I think jk has an ice availability issue and can only take on a limited number of non-tier 1 teams. The smart thing for them is to emphasize A and B through Bantam to feed the High School League.

I think the main issue is that JK is just a poorly run organization.  Key is the hype of being jr "kings."  Combine that with the crazy politics,  and there you have it.  TSC charges $490/hr ice time.  So a big expense to be JK, with not enough ice time for a decent AA level player.

cog254

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »

I think the main issue is that JK is just a poorly run organization.  Key is the hype of being jr "kings."  Combine that with the crazy politics,  and there you have it.  TSC charges $490/hr ice time.  So a big expense to be JK, with not enough ice time for a decent AA level player.

And that is a sad reality of what has become youth hockey...that one of the biggest teams in NHL can't field teams at all the levels....it's all about $$$

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »
Whatever happened to Pucklawyer?  He always had great insight into youth hockey in So. Cal.  Would love to hear his take on this as well as the wholesale changes at Tier I with JK and JD. 

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
Kings Bantam AA is Coach Kemp (new) and Coach Drager, who is assisting, stepping down from HC last year.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »
Kings Bantam AA is Coach Kemp (new) and Coach Drager, who is assisting, stepping down from HC last year.

This should be in Bantam discussion,  but yes, John Kemp is being brought into the fold of JK.  He was an amazing player.  He was Bobby Ryan's center.  Sick skills and a great guy.  Dreger needed to just really concentrate on his 18u AAA team.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 06:18:35 AM »
Sorry for crossed thread, I was just clarifying who was who.

As for Coach Dreger, yes, his midget team is great, but his kid plays on the Bantam AA team.  Not an unusual sitch in our world.

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 08:38:54 AM »
Haven't been on in a while, looks like everything is status quo!  Not much has changed except players changing clubs, Ducks going to Wave and Wave going to Ducks. Pretty even swap from what I can see, except the loss of the Wave player to AAA but that's where he belongs so props to the Wave coach for moving him along!

Will there be any additional talent in So. CA at 16U this year?

cog254

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »
My question is do we have an idea of how may teams will be playing 18AA? I know several clubs are doing "midget" teams from 02-99 birth years and skipping 16AA..

18AA Looks like Ducks, Wave, OCHC for sure...Kings maybe? Jr Reign?....   

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
I think 18's are pretty much going the way of 16A, high school is killing it and 16's too. But if you're not playing 18AAA then you might as well leave for prep school or juniors. That's why clubs are taking 2001 players at 18AA and perhaps a few other reasons I've heard people talk about.