This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Did any of your kids play with Dylan Harlan - California Golden Bears?  (Read 12778 times)

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
There is a skate tomorrow night at Pickwick (Burbank) at 7:20 dedicated to Bears' star player Dylan Harlan (15), who was killed on Sunday with his father Jim (57) when their Piper Cherokee crashed up in Ventura County. Dylan was a great kid and much loved, I'm sure there will be a big turnout.

I don't think funeral arrangements have been formalized yet, but you can check on Facebook or there may be info available tomorrow night at the rink. The initial story was in the Ventura County Star online and they may post updates.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
Thanks Crash for posting! Hope kids from other clubs come out and please wear your clubs jerseys!

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
My sincere condolences to the Harlan, Bears families and to those who knew Dylan.

Life is fragile as I see it daily in emergency medicine... Live everyday to the fullest, love your family and never take life for granted...

RIP Jim and Dylan.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:57:13 PM by justanotherhockeydad »

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
RIP Jim and Dylan, We played with Dylan back in the Riptide days. What a sad loss.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
If anyone is planning to attend tomorrow in memory of Dylan and his dad Jim, please wear a black jersey.

Xfactor_56

Such a tragic loss for the family and the hockey community.  A great kid and a great hockey parent.  Our thoughts go out to everyone Dylan and Jim touched. 

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
For those interested SCAHA has blessed a sticker / badge honoring Dylan Harlan #17 to be worn during the season.

Give credit to SCAHA who turned this around in ONE DAY. Bears will do the actual design and production and will I imagine have a sign in book or something tonight to collect names.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
I understand that the Titans are also doing a ceremony in memory of Dylan Harlan in between tonight's high school games.  So incredibly sad.

jla81462

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-1
Played roller with him 5 years ago.  Wonderful kid and family.  Terrible, sad loss.   Condolences to the family and all of his friends.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
There is a ton of pix and will be more on his mom's FB page "Kirsten Doss". She was there last night in an incredible show of fortitude.

Turn-out was big, the ceremony was thoughtful and heartfelt. Coach Torsson spoke really well, no easy thing.

Dylan's #17 was up on the scoreboard, and they ran down the clock. When the buzzer went it was gut-wrenching, of course.

Yet they can't even have the funerals yet, because the investigation is still pending. The sticker will be ready in a few weeks.

Saw many friends and ex-team mates. It really sucks that we can't easily see each other without tragedy as an excuse.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
For those interested SCAHA has blessed a sticker / badge honoring Dylan Harlan #17 to be worn during the season.

Give credit to SCAHA who turned this around in ONE DAY. Bears will do the actual design and production and will I imagine have a sign in book or something tonight to collect names.

Where can we see it?

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
Bears are producing it, as they have the art files, it takes a couple of weeks, I'm sure. I'll post as soon as I hear.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Curt Sandoval who knew the family well did 2 stories on this for ABC7, that are both pretty heart wrenching. 

http://abc7.com/news/teen-killed-in-plane-crash-with-dad-lived-life-to-the-fullest/2066444/

http://abc7.com/news/burbank-tribute-honors-teen-hockey-player-killed-in-plane-crash/2071228/

When something tragic and senseless like this happens I have a hard time finding anything positive or even salient, but I can't help but admire Kirsten.  I thought it was incredibly generous of her to participate in the club memorial, and cathartic for everyone involved to grieve as a community.  Although we don't know the family personally, we plan to participate in the memorial badge.   

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
This story makes my heart hurt for the family and friends of this young man and father.  I do not know them personally but my own 15year old son played against him the last 2 years.  Tragic

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
Dylan was a great kid. Big and skilled but not dirty.  Always a smile. And he worked his ass off to get better.

Coach told a great story about trying to get him to hit and use his size. Finally, the first time he did it, he got a 10 and a 2.

There were some laughs like that among the tears.