This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Rule change at 14U and below  (Read 9126 times)

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
Rule change at 14U and below
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
I read an internet post today that USA Hockey has made a rule change at bantam and below.   A shorthanded team may no longer ice the puck.  While killing a penalty icing will be called just like at even strength.  WTF??? Here come a couple of dozen extra whistles every game.

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
Re: Rule change at 14U and below
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »
Every four years, USA Hockey evaluates its playing rules and has the opportunity to make changes to said rules during its four-day Annual Congress gathering.
[/size]With 2017 being a rules-change year, the Board of Directors voted on and approved a notable proposal drastically affecting the game at the youth level.[/color]
[/size]Teams at the 14U-and-below age classifications will no longer be permitted to ice the puck when shorthanded. If a team ices the puck while killing a penalty, there will be an icing call made, and the ensuing face-off will take place in the defensive zone – just like even-strength play.[/color]

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
Every four years, USA Hockey evaluates its playing rules and has the opportunity to make changes to said rules during its four-day Annual Congress gathering. With 2017 being a rules-change year, the Board of Directors voted on and approved a notable proposal drastically affecting the game at the youth level. Teams at the 14U-and-below age classifications will no longer be permitted to ice the puck when shorthanded. If a team ices the puck while killing a penalty, there will be an icing call made, and the ensuing face-off will take place in the defensive zone – just like even-strength play.

I truly question the logic and reasoning behind this... why keep tinkering with the game!?

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »
This is a terrible rule change. I get the logic (?) behind the change, why benefit the team who is shorthanded due to a penalty? But, the NHL does it this way, so why have a different set of rules? Poor goalies! This is gonna result in way more shots and uneven scoring :(

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
At least you can still change lines on the whistle. 

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 06:38:44 AM »
Why are we changing rules? What's next will they mess with offsides?

Just dumb.  ::)

HockeyDadx3

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +54/-24
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:28:35 AM »
I read an internet post today that USA Hockey has made a rule change at bantam and below.   A shorthanded team may no longer ice the puck.  While killing a penalty icing will be called just like at even strength.  WTF??? Here come a couple of dozen extra whistles every game.

Might as well just adapt inline hockey rules and do away with the blue lines and offside's, right? Run clock, 4 on 4, and clubs can really make a killing by getting games over with quicker so they can get their real money makers out there: FIGURE SKATING and the Public skating!

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »

Might as well just adapt inline hockey rules and do away with the blue lines and offside's, right? Run clock, 4 on 4, and clubs can really make a killing by getting games over with quicker so they can get their real money makers out there: FIGURE SKATING and the Public skating!

Good points except this new rule will actually make games longer with icing calls.

HockeyDadx3

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +54/-24
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »

Good points except this new rule will actually make games longer with icing calls.

That's why they need to do away with "REAL" hockey rules and adapt Inline rules. @ 18 min run clock half's with no offsides, icing, or clock stoppage (even for penalties) and they can get those figure skaters out there quicker.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
This, from USA Hockey:

"Committee Rationale: Promotes handling the puck and the development of skills. Also removes contradictory rule that allows a team who has committed an infraction to gain a competitive advantage."

I call BS.  Teams will still try to ice the puck in an effort to clear the zone and line change, especially in the 2nd period when they're further from the bench.  All they've done is effectively/unnecessarily prolonged games.  For those in favor of lengthening game time and keeping those pesky figure skaters off of the ice, I propose longer periods of meaningful play by upping the time from 15 minutes to 17 or 18.  That just might "promote handling the puck and the development of skills"...

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »
WTF?

The short handed team has ALREADY been penalized? Why double punish them?

It's going to be like curling, D putting it off the wall and hoping it stops short of the red line. 

Aside from the cross-ice hockey for the little ones, most things USA hockey does are stupid. They are just trying to justify their own existence. The Germans have a great word for it:

"Schlimmbesserung" -- an improvement that makes things worse.

HockeyDadx3

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +54/-24
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 08:51:22 AM »
WTF?

It's going to be like curling, D putting it off the wall and hoping it stops short of the red line. 

Aside from the cross-ice hockey for the little ones, most things USA hockey does are stupid. They are just trying to justify their own existence. The Germans have a great word for it:

DAMMIT!

I hate when I have to agree with Crash!

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »
WTF?

DAMMIT!

I hate when I have to agree with Crash!

??? He is correct though.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »
What might also happen is the skill D will try and get it on net. If a coach is smart and sends a fast forechecker, the goalie might be forced to freeze it on a nothing shot -- ergo a face-off in the PP team's zone.

This is changing the tactics of the game  -- why are we fixing what is not broken? I agree with the poster about who said touch up for 12 and under, but at 14 the kids should be playing as close to actual game situations as possible.