This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Rule change  (Read 15350 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: Rule change
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:38 PM »
I can save you all some time and just tell you, they all think it's a dumb idea.   ;)

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
I can save you all some time and just tell you, they all think it's a dumb idea.   ;)
How about his suggestion of eliminating "dump and Chase"? I don't think it's the worst idea actually! I see why they did it, question is will USA Hockey follow Canada with the new checking rules! You will lose your mind then!!! Haha!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:35:49 PM by MO-ICETIME »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 12:57:09 AM »
USA hockey rejected the change at Bantam according to what they said.

I don't think they need to add a dump and chase penalty anyways. 

This is one area where analytics and puck possession analysis at the NHL level has been helpful in showing to coaches that it's better to enter the zone with the puck on your stick than to dump it in, if you want to score goals.

Teams would rather not dump the puck in, but they start doing it in reaction to neutral zone trapping, back check pressure and defenseman standing up at the blue line.  If there was a rule forcing you to carry it into the zone, imagine what starts happening when every defender knows that the opponent with the puck has to try and skate through a picket fence of bodies.  Kids will get blown up at the blue line by other kids who can channel Scott Stevens and Nick Kronwall with impunity.

Dump and chase needs to be an option, just as throwing pucks to areas where your teammates can skate onto it, or even just chipping it off the boards to yourself needs to be an option.  At some point, no matter what you're trying to do to develop skills, hockey stops being hockey if it diverts too far from the version that is played professionally.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:58:19 AM by lcadad »

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
Dump and Chase is a strategy just like any other play in hockey.  If a line is not particularly strong on stick handling, but are good in the corners, its a great way to get the puck deep to set up a couple of scoring chances.  It works, and all things considered, it helps the grittier lines generate scoring chances.

We need to stop taking away options from players.    There seems to be a need to force results to "teams that look good on paper".   

A good team should always beat a not so good team.  So lets get some rules out there to make sure results are predictable.    In short, take the game out of the game.

Dumb IMO

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
Agreed -- dumb, and whenever these things come up, they always ask experienced hockey players what they think, and they never agree.  I keep wondering where these ideas come from and whether they consult any actual hockey experts?

I do understand the concern over concussions, which is a national concern that cuts across all contact sports.  I understand ADM, which is based on research about how kids experience a sport at different ages.  What I don't understand is how all these other changes keep creeping into the sport.