This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Rule change  (Read 15959 times)

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
Rule change
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
Apparently clearing the puck on the PK will be ruled icing in 14U and under.  Thoughts on why this change was implemented and what effect it will have?  Seems to me games just got longer, some players will start to see a lot less time on the ice, and players may tighten up because they are more afraid to take a penalty (to clarify, I mean on even strength). 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:43:55 AM by 6607 »

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
Re: Rule change
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »
Well it's icing, not a penalty, so I imagine the strategy of clearing the puck on PK won't change.  Coaches will still be able to change lines unlike the NHL where players stay on the ice.  You are right though, this definitely means more whistles and longer games.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »
I'm not a fan of the rule, it will result in longer games and more goals each way.  This rule will make it more important to specialize on the PP and PK.  At the 12 and under and 10 and under levels this is a detriment to development. 

If USA Hockey wants to make a rule change, they should allow a touch up at the blue line for 12 and under and not an immediate whistle and offside. 

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
Yeah, not sure the logic...this doesnt make much sense, especially the younger you go. Kids are still learning how to play and how to avoid penalties. This rule change seems to impact the kids who are over aggressive / penalty prone the most...they just became a bigger liability if its harder to kill penalties.

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »
In another reactionary move, they also want to increase scoring by defensemen, so they are instituting a 3 point line similar to basketball...

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »
Head scratcher for sure. Quikc researc shows that it was tried out in states like Mass. to mix results. Supposedly the objective is to have the players get more creative and make plays rather than dumping the puck. Not sure I'm buying this.

rosetta

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
If they want to discourage dumping the puck, they should follow the icing rule of NHL. Players are not allowed to change after icing at equal strength. You either learn to break out or get scored on. :)

I could be wrong, but icing while PK is important for keeping the balance between offense and defense.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
So what happens during a 5-on3 after a long kill, your team finally gets the puck deep in your zone but you're dead tired...

skates

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
You ice it. The refs blow the whistle and you change lines and start back in the defensive zone. It will just make for a longer game now and the clock will stop more to reset. I don't get it. Is this rule for all 14 and under including AA and AAA?

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
The only thing I can think of is injury and concussions.   When short handed you get to ice it and chase it, and maybe you have two tired kids going into the corner?  This stops play, and gives line changes a chance to happen. 

But the flip side of that is shorthanded teams will not want to ice.. making them more tired, and more prone to injury?

Its all i can think of.

Actually, it makes no sense.  I give up :P

Xfactor_56

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
.. the objective is to have the players get more creative and make plays rather than dumping the puck.

From what I have heard this was their intent.  Learn to value possession and moving the puck to a teammate rather than just dumping it.  I appreciate the intent, but I do agree that it will certainly result in more whistles especially in the beginning.

skates

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 09:13:46 PM »
The new non icing rule caused a lot of unnecessary delays of the game this weekend. Thoughts?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »
With the running clock, it was actually a great strategy to Ice the puck.  Strategically, if I'm a coach I'm telling my players to Ice the puck anyways, especially at lower levels.  If there's a chance for a counter attack, then take it, but Icing is giving up possession anyways. 

Overall the rule is detrimental to development, because kids will no longer be learning how to advance the puck up the ice on a PP, nor will PK'ers be learning systems to prevent this.  It's going to be constant resetting for face-offs, and given the dubious skating skills of many of our youth hockey refs, what used to be an exciting part of the game is now going to slow to a crawl.

The only benefit I see is for teams that develop kids with better than average face-off skills, and set plays that manage to get possession and keep it.  I don't think we needed automatic icing to provide incentive for defenders to battle for puck possession.  It seems that if there is a gimmick or weird rule change to experiment with, we apparently have to be first in line for it.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »
IMO, this rule change impedes the natural flow of the game. 

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:53 AM »
There is a great audio discussion on this topic on MyHockeyRankings

http://www.myhockeyrankings.com/news.php?b=351