This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: The end of the Titans?  (Read 50661 times)

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
Re: The end of the Titans?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »
Every time I hear the "too diluted" remark, I want to barf. Why do the big three automatically get AAA? If other clubs are more successful, why should they be forced to hand kids over? This is one big reason why families leave CA.

Totally agree.  That and the politcal bs of JK and JD.  While my kid isn't some superstar, he somehow wasn't good enough for his old team.  Yet had two AAA offers for New England area teams.  So we are gone.  Good luck to you folks in CA.

WHY would you play AAA in New England. Send him there for Prep School not AAA Club

Never said my son was headed to New England AAA, just offers.  Looking at Prep.  Meanwhile,  he is AAA in another state. 

Regardless,  this thread is about the attempt to limit AAA programs in CA.  Which I find sad.

gr8wrk

• AHL
  • LR Justice +40/-71
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
Every time I hear the "too diluted" remark, I want to barf. Why do the big three automatically get AAA? If other clubs are more successful, why should they be forced to hand kids over? This is one big reason why families leave CA.

Totally agree.  That and the politcal bs of JK and JD.  While my kid isn't some superstar, he somehow wasn't good enough for his old team.  Yet had two AAA offers for New England area teams.  So we are gone.  Good luck to you folks in CA.

WHY would you play AAA in New England. Send him there for Prep School not AAA Club

Never said my son was headed to New England AAA, just offers.  Looking at Prep.  Meanwhile,  he is AAA in another state. 

Regardless,  this thread is about the attempt to limit AAA programs in CA.  Which I find sad.

Just ask the Wildcats, Wave and Gulls if there is an concerted effort to limit AAA to the JK and JD.   Look at who gets picked at the SCAHA and CAHA camps - not necessarily the best kids but the ones who are connected to JK, JD and JS (and in the west, going to PacificDivision is the only thing that gets scouted) The JK (more than then JD) get these coaches that the families can't stand and so the parents look for alternatives like Titans, Wave, Wildcats, etc and the JK have to find ways to stop the kids from jumping ship.  This is why we went back to prep school, not because we love the terrible weather, but because there is year-round excellent hockey there with year-round scouting and hundreds of good teams and D1 and D3 schools with decent access to those coaches.  If CAHA want to really turn California into a hockey Mecca (be a location like Minnesota, Wisconsin, New England) then they need to figure out how to keep players here and to do that you need more than just 2 or 3 AAA teams to compete against on a regular basis.  Making parents travel 10 times a season to Tier1 weekends kills the kids grades and guess what, D1 and D3 won't touch your kid with under a 3.0 GPA and less than a 1250 SAT score. 

I predicted 5 years ago that High School hockey would kill 16/18 AA hockey, and that's pretty much the case today except what I didn't see, was that Varsity Hockey would drop from AA level to A level (like it was last year). Putting my wizard hat on, here's what I see: CAHA 16AAA/18AAA are going to die within a few years as 17 and 18 year olds move to the WSHL instead of 18AAA (more teams, more ice time, play with european kids, slightly better than 18AAA quality, gets some national attention), 16AAA kids will start applying to mid-west AAA clubs or Prep-School more and more and all that will be left here is watered down high school and Tahoe Prep.  That may force entrepreneurial individuals to create non-CAHA teams like the Arizona Bobcats to fill the void but you'll still not have enough AAA level talent left locally to get weekly high-quality hockey.  CAHA - you need MORE TEAMS not LESS!!! and you need fair SCAHA/CAHA camps - not rigged.  Make California Great Again!!!!

CEO

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-14
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:11 PM »
Even if every CA kid stayed in CA there still would not be enough talent to have more than 3 competitive AAA teams.  This is not MN or NE and never will be.  Parents need to get a clue and be realistic, but that is never going to happen.  So the debate will continue age group after age group.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
Even if every CA kid stayed in CA there still would not be enough talent to have more than 3 competitive AAA teams.  This is not MN or NE and never will be.  Parents need to get a clue and be realistic, but that is never going to happen.  So the debate will continue age group after age group.

Disagree.   There is plenty of talent for more than 3 competitive AAA teams. Just count how many kids leave CA because of the crap from coaches and politics.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »

Just ask the Wildcats, Wave and Gulls if there is an concerted effort to limit AAA to the JK and JD.   Look at who gets picked at the SCAHA and CAHA camps - not necessarily the best kids but the ones who are connected to JK, JD and JS (and in the west, going to PacificDivision is the only thing that gets scouted) The JK (more than then JD) get these coaches that the families can't stand and so the parents look for alternatives like Titans, Wave, Wildcats, etc and the JK have to find ways to stop the kids from jumping ship.  This is why we went back to prep school, not because we love the terrible weather, but because there is year-round excellent hockey there with year-round scouting and hundreds of good teams and D1 and D3 schools with decent access to those coaches.  If CAHA want to really turn California into a hockey Mecca (be a location like Minnesota, Wisconsin, New England) then they need to figure out how to keep players here and to do that you need more than just 2 or 3 AAA teams to compete against on a regular basis.  Making parents travel 10 times a season to Tier1 weekends kills the kids grades and guess what, D1 and D3 won't touch your kid with under a 3.0 GPA and less than a 1250 SAT score. 

I predicted 5 years ago that High School hockey would kill 16/18 AA hockey, and that's pretty much the case today except what I didn't see, was that Varsity Hockey would drop from AA level to A level (like it was last year). Putting my wizard hat on, here's what I see: CAHA 16AAA/18AAA are going to die within a few years as 17 and 18 year olds move to the WSHL instead of 18AAA (more teams, more ice time, play with european kids, slightly better than 18AAA quality, gets some national attention), 16AAA kids will start applying to mid-west AAA clubs or Prep-School more and more and all that will be left here is watered down high school and Tahoe Prep.  That may force entrepreneurial individuals to create non-CAHA teams like the Arizona Bobcats to fill the void but you'll still not have enough AAA level talent left locally to get weekly high-quality hockey.  CAHA - you need MORE TEAMS not LESS!!! and you need fair SCAHA/CAHA camps - not rigged.  Make California Great Again!!!!

Amen

CEO

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-14
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »

JK and JD have full teams with 20 kids each.  MAYBE there are CA kids that have left, combined with some kids not on JK and JD that could make up a third AAA team, but there are definitely not 20-40 additional kids to fill out teams 4 and 5.  JK and JD don't miss very often on AAA kids.  I know that is not what parents want to hear but it is it reality.  Right now they are the only legitimate and consistent AAA programs in CA.

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
I agree with your numbers.  A third socal team at most - TODAY.  4th liners from JK and JD would probably make the move, especially if geography improves.  And the 2 to 3 per team AAA capable kids in the AA ranks might make the jump if the added cost and drive time is acceptable.  But CAHA has to want to do it for the health of the system, even if it makes JK and JD less of a concentrated draw for them. We've done both up and down as the circumstances presented, seen both dynamics and some benefits.  But the current set up is not very appealing to us.  And many parents of kids still in AAA will tell you privately that AAA does not provide the cost/time benefit for them as well.  They just don't have another good option at this point in time.  But they keep looking.

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
There should only be 2 So. CA nd 1 No. CA AAA teams at all levels and it should not always be Kings, Ducks or Sharks!

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
BS - the numbers should depend on the talent available in each birth year.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
CAHA is concerned about fielding 1-2 competitive teams on the national stage at each birth year and that is about it. 

CAHA's intentions at the lower levels is non-existent or worse.  An $865,000 money grab for the city of San Jose making all 12, 14 & 16 AA players go up there over Labor Day.  Nice use of resources, good job, way to grow the sport! 

It's on a parent to develop their player, CAHA isn't doing shit. 

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
CAHA is concerned about fielding 1-2 competitive teams on the national stage at each birth year and that is about it. 

CAHA's intentions at the lower levels is non-existent or worse.  An $865,000 money grab for the city of San Jose making all 12, 14 & 16 AA players go up there over Labor Day.  Nice use of resources, good job, way to grow the sport! 

It's on a parent to develop their player, CAHA isn't doing shit.

Shots fired!

Great freakin post.

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
So did the Titans lose their NA3HL status? I keep hearing rumors, but the website still says they have it. Just curious...

CEO

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-14
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »

And what upcoming birth year is going to change what has been the norm for years?

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »

And what upcoming birth year is going to change what has been the norm for years?

There was a promising group of 2013's at learn to skate a few weeks back. Ducks are talking to the parents to keep this group of young talent together. Talk is they are the next super team. Probably win the Brick and then National Championships.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 08:51:14 PM »
So did the Titans lose their NA3HL status? I keep hearing rumors, but the website still says they have it. Just curious...

That goes to the origin of this thread.   CAHA has put pressure on NAPHL to force Titans out.  That way CAHA doesn't look like the bad guy