This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Predictions for 16AA  (Read 66036 times)

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
Re: Predictions for 16AA
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
I agree.  This is where the rubber hits the road.  There is no overthinking this.  You draw two lines.  Line 1 = any team above line 1 is in flight 1, below line teams are flight 2.

Then draw a second line.  Any teams below  this second line go to A.

It like ripping off a band-aid.   Do it quickly and without prejudice.   It will sting  for a minute, but it will be over and done with.  Then we all move on

Otherwise you just missed the two foot put that sitting in front of you.

Stark

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »

This is how I see it.
Top Tier (In no particular order)
Ducks 1
Wave 1
Blackhawks 1
OC 2
GSE
Flyers

T
Tier 2 (In no particular order)

Ducks 2
Condors
Maple Leafs
OC1
Oakland
Reign

Move To A
Heat
Wave 2

Face Wash -
You left off the Sharks & Blackhawks 2.

I can't see Sharks being dropped to Tier 2, considering their one of the BIG clubs. 
NORCAL doesn't have a 16A division, so dropping any NORCAL team from 16AA would mean dropping them to the NORCAL HS league. 

pucklawyer

• AHL
  • LR Justice +136/-59
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »
Flights and Tiers. Sounds like Midget AA has too many kids, too many teams?

I don't think so.  It is a bad idea.  As a parent who knows the 2001 and 2002 birthyear as well as anyone in this state, I would make the following comments:

1.  Keep it 16 teams.  These are virtually the same kids who have played each other since PW AA. 
2.  You never know what can happen.  You play a good game against a Strong Team in the AM and then you lose in the PM.  A key kid gets hurt or suspended and your whole outcome can be different.
3.  It may be the last year of pretty good competitive hockey for the AA 2001s, you cannot and should not determine the strength of a team based upon LABOR DAY.
4.  So many minor birthyear teams look good over LABOR Day and don't make Playdowns as they are outgrown and outpaced over the next six months by the older boys. 
5.  Year after year PW AA, Bantam AA, and even last year, there were major surprises.  Teams surpassed other teams, teams caved under pressure when no one thought that was possible.  Teams came out of nowhere.  In PW AA my son's team was never given a chance and they made State Finals.  In Bantam AA, my son's team was a non factor and they finished 5th and even in Midget AA last year, many teams came out of nowhere, teams faltered and the top team failed miserably.  I could go on and on. 
6.  6 team leagues suck. Even 8 teams leagues kind of suck.  Everyone needs a variety to keep it interesting and 4 or 5 CAHA weekends are great!   

I wasn't in San Jose and for the first time in a decade, I missed my son's games.  But I do know that clubs intentionally delayed games if they had the lead.  One team didn't even shake hands after the game.  And there should have been stop time with under 2 minutes to go.  The concept was kind of cool but to give some teams a hall pass to Playdowns in February based upon Labor Day outcomes or subjective opinions is absurd.  No sport pre-determines their Playoffs.  Let the kids battle it out.  You never know what can happen.  My son's team beat a purported Top Tier Team in Midget AA last Labor Day and lost by February to the same team.   

Caha has taken on a great experiment with this concept and I can understand perhaps at PWAA or maybe even Bantam AA, maybe the kids are not well known, but by Midget AA and only 16 teams...don't really need another experiment.  We had that last year and it wasn't fun at all.  One off games, not enough CAHA weekend bonding for the kids.

May everyone have a great season even though it started two months too early...best of luck.   

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »
So...what is the story about the Jr. Kings not have a Midget Tier II team for the 2nd year in a row?  And why is it that I heard a few years back, they had some sort of restriction, not allowing their kids to play for the Jr. Ducks?  What kind of slip-shod organization is this and why does CAHA allow this sort of mismanagement of a club?  It is really messed up when you live in the South Bay and you have to drive to either Artesia, the Valley or further for Tier II hockey.  I guess it must have something to do with their high school program?

locked out

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-3
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
Ducks 1 vs OCHC 2 ....5 to 0.  that tells one story.  These two teams played to a 0 to 0 tie just a week ago.  The real story is that in those two games, the shots are approximately 75 to 10. 

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »
So...what is the story about the Jr. Kings not have a Midget Tier II team for the 2nd year in a row?  And why is it that I heard a few years back, they had some sort of restriction, not allowing their kids to play for the Jr. Ducks?  What kind of slip-shod organization is this and why does CAHA allow this sort of mismanagement of a club?  It is really messed up when you live in the South Bay and you have to drive to either Artesia, the Valley or further for Tier II hockey.  I guess it must have something to do with their high school program?

JK Midget u16 became a disaster zone.  My son tried out last season,  only 10 skaters showed.  Many kids prior left JK for other programs, and HS.  Seemed like the interest by the organization just isn't there, especially for 02 birth year. 

I don't think the JK organization will stop a kid from moving teams, but 1 coach in particular was upset over kids moving to other programs.  I saw all the reactions first hand.

cog254

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
They did not ever try for 16 and 18 AA teams the last 2 years. Zero information or clinics prior to tryouts so kids could skate and get a feel for coaches. They seem happy with AAA and nothing else at 16-18. Pretty sad to be honest.   

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 08:43:54 AM »
Weren't there rules in place that clubs had to have "feeder" clubs to have a Tier I team?  The only feeder clubs to the JK Tier I is from other clubs and out of state. 

4 The Kids

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-4
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »
Weren't there rules in place that clubs had to have "feeder" clubs to have a Tier I team?  The only feeder clubs to the JK Tier I is from other clubs and out of state.

Tier 1 - 8.1 Mission Statement - a - apply for team by 1/15 of year for next season; b - Have 2 or more Tier II teams in current and previous season (no level requirement); c - Approved by CAHA - deemed to be competitive

8.3 - Have 2 or more Tier II teams in current and previous season - (any level) - so does not have to be same age group.

Tier II
9.3 - Have three (3) or more Tier 1 teams in A, BB or B in the current and previous seasons - excludes High School - no age level requirement, just 3 teams.

So no need for JK to have 16U AA to have AAA - just need two AA teams across all age groups. 

Player Development Requirement
6.23 - 25% of players on team must be returning from same club prior year - other 75% can come from anywhere. 

Past movement rule asked about- no Kings to Ducks - that was just a 2 year transition rule - AAA only - when Jr. Ducks entered the Tier 1 Elite League the JK were already part of.  JK had OC players they did not want to lose - Jr. Ducks wanted in Tier 1 Elite League, so they agreed to not sign any JK player who played the prior season with JK.  That was a 2 year period that has expired - no longer any movement restriction between JK and JD at AAA level.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:38:42 AM by 4 The Kids »

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
that was only one year, 3 seasons ago. Obviously it wasn't going to work out for the Jr Kings, so they changed it.

locked out

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-3
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »
Any scores from today?

coachbombay

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »
does anyone know if CAHA is going to use recent scaha games to make their decision on the flight system or have they already made up their minds from the jamboree

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
Not sure however the website said that they would schedule games over the 2 weeks following the Jamboree.  However I do not know if recent games were scheduled by CAHA or the individual teams. Hope they make their decisions soon.  I'm almost positive my son's team will be Flight 1 unless something funky happens or they don't divide the 16 AA division.

The N00B

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-1
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »
Wasn't CAHA supposed to announce the divisions/schedule on 9/15?

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »
The Jamboree information stated that they would play games up to 2 weeks later to determine the flights.  So the 15th seems to be a little early if they wer going to have 2 weeks of games after the Jamboree.