This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Predictions for AA?  (Read 324869 times)

Stanley

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-10
Re: Predictions for AA?
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
Just for Funzies  here is a list of CA national championship teams (Tier I and Tier II)  - excluding the gals for this exercise 
and who they played.  Its been a while since we were competitive at the national level.  Not sure if "flighting" is a way to solve this drought

2009Youth Tier II 14UFrisco, TexasLos Angeles Selects, CAAllen Park Huskies, MI
2008Youth Tier I 12UHackensack, New JerseyLos Angeles Selects, CADetroit Honeybaked, MI
2007Youth Tier II 14UBuffalo, New YorkCalifornia Stars, CASouthern Connecticut Stars, CT
2006Youth Tier II 14UEast Lansing, MichiganLos Angeles Hockey Club, CALong Island Rebels, NY
2006Youth Tier I 16URochester, New YorkCalifornia Wave, CANew Jersey Devils, NJ
2006Youth Tier I 14URochester, New YorkLos Angeles Selects, CARochester Americans, NY
2004Youth Tier II 16UEllenton, FloridaLong Beach Jr. Ice Dogs, CAEllenton Eels, FL
2003Youth Tier I 16UMarlboro, MassachusettsLos Angeles Jr. Kings, CANew Jersey Rockets, NJ
2003Youth Tier I 14UBuffalo, New YorkCalifornia Wave 88's, CAShattuck-St. Mary's Sabres, MN
2002Youth Tier I 14UColorado Springs, ColoradoLos Angeles Jr. Kings, CAMadison Capitols, WI
2000Youth Tier I 12UAnchorage, AlaskaLos Angeles Junior Kings, CADetroit Little Caesars, MI
1997Youth Tier II 14UBismarck, North DakotaLos Angeles Wildcats, CANorth Andover Knights, MA

Interesting.  Any thoughts about why the drop-off since 2008/09?

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
Just for Funzies  here is a list of CA national championship teams (Tier I and Tier II)  - excluding the gals for this exercise 
and who they played.  Its been a while since we were competitive at the national level.  Not sure if "flighting" is a way to solve this drought

2008Youth Tier I 12UHackensack, New JerseyLos Angeles Selects, CADetroit Honeybaked, MI
2007Youth Tier II 14UBuffalo, New YorkCalifornia Stars, CASouthern Connecticut Stars, CT
2006Youth Tier II 14UEast Lansing, MichiganLos Angeles Hockey Club, CALong Island Rebels, NY
2006Youth Tier I 14URochester, New YorkLos Angeles Selects, CARochester Americans, NY
2004Youth Tier II 16UEllenton, FloridaLong Beach Jr. Ice Dogs, CAEllenton Eels, FL
2003Youth Tier I 16UMarlboro, MassachusettsLos Angeles Jr. Kings, CANew Jersey Rockets, NJ
2003Youth Tier I 14UBuffalo, New YorkCalifornia Wave 88's, CAShattuck-St. Mary's Sabres, MN
2002Youth Tier I 14UColorado Springs, ColoradoLos Angeles Jr. Kings, CAMadison Capitols, WI
2000Youth Tier I 12UAnchorage, AlaskaLos Angeles Junior Kings, CADetroit Little Caesars, MI
1997Youth Tier II 14UBismarck, North DakotaLos Angeles Wildcats, CANorth Andover Knights, MA

As my daughter would say Cool story Bro!

This has zero to do with the silly flight system and the fact that CAHA is killing CA hockey. 

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
The flight system IS silly and CAHA IS killing CA Hockey.   Youth Hockey survives in spite of CAHA, not because of CAHA.

The reason why we did so well back in the day for a stretch was because there were not a lot of clubs doing AAA back then / nor AA for that matter - most clubs were A/B only.    The Elite player pool was tighter, had fewer options hence they stayed together for several years.    Only a few coaches coached at that level as well.  It was not a business per se.  For example..  if you did not play on the WAVE 89 Team,  You just did not play on AAA.   Also.. It was pretty cut throat, if a AA player from the Wave player wanting on AAA team did not make tryouts, they were cut - sometimes from the club.   Little concern for please "stay in the club".  You were done.  Pretty brutal, but effective in simply getting best players on team.
The concept now is keeping the player in your club from 8-18 - possibly at the expense of talent.

I think the talent order of appearance over time was the JR Kings, then the WAVE, then LA Hockey.  When LA Hockey came on-board,  other clubs started catching on that if they ALSO developed a AAA program, they can keep those AA players.. and keep all those A players.   More AAA teams also gave 2nd line / 3rd line players the chance to be 1st line material at another newer AAA club.. dilution of talent.. as simple as that.  13 years ago.. that player would have been SOL  and would have to play AA hockey, or stop playing.

You can always create more clubs and AAA Teams, but you cannot simply create more talent.

If you really want to solve it you:
take the current set of AAA teams and you keep the top 20% of players and let the rest go  they are not AAA material.  Create two teams at each level (no major, no minor) - Don't care what club runs them.. heck they can switch it up every year of they like.  But 2 teams for so-cal period per age group period.  The rest can go play AA, and so on down the line it goes.

You would once again have a powerhouse AAA presence, and players that are fortunate enough and/or talented enough will get better faster. 

Anything short of that, though, results in average teams that bow out in Nationals, empty promises, and a big dent in your bank account for spending a ton of dough.

I probably have a lot of facts wrong, but that is how I view the current state of  tier hockey. 

This issue.. and of course the absurd overreaching punitive nature of CAHA.. is killing AAA/AA hockey.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »

Interesting.  Any thoughts about why the drop-off since 2008/09?

Way more talent leaving the State would be my guess.

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »
2 teams per age group. That's a cozy 3 game league season and Best of 3 state final. Lot of money for that few games. Unless I'm misinterpreting your idea.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
No.. you spend all your money going east and playing in tournaments - and joining an elite league member.   And you practice your pants off.  These kids were good - practiced all the time,  played in a several showcases, then went to nationals and beat everyone.  It did not cost as much as you think.

Playing is a  big state tier I league where everyone is average is the real waste of money. IMO

Kangaroo Jack

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +100/-61
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
Hey I am just a stupid white guy (Plantation Peach) to be PC but didn't 2010 Orange County HC beat Florida 16aa Philadelphia. JD (Jr Kings Coach) and JB do not know where his is coaching now. 
I believe in #daddycoaches 🧐

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »

As my daughter would say Cool story Bro!

This has zero to do with the silly flight system and the fact that CAHA is killing CA hockey. 

Here is a thought... if the clubs & customers now know this Flight selection is the procedure, then why not produce more so called AA teams at tryouts?   Worst case is your A players will be in AA flight 2.   This unfortunately encourages playing above your level, unintended opposite consequences from an apparent attempt prevent it.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2017, 07:29:51 AM »
Hey I am just a stupid white guy (Plantation Peach) to be PC but didn't 2010 Orange County HC beat Florida 16aa Philadelphia. JD (Jr Kings Coach) and JB do not know where his is coaching now.

I think I did not count those because that was first year they had 4 national champions for each division

Stars could be in there as well

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »
The flight system IS silly and CAHA IS killing CA Hockey.   Youth Hockey survives in spite of CAHA, not because of CAHA.

The reason why we did so well back in the day for a stretch was because there were not a lot of clubs doing AAA back then / nor AA for that matter - most clubs were A/B only.    The Elite player pool was tighter, had fewer options hence they stayed together for several years.    Only a few coaches coached at that level as well.  It was not a business per se.  For example..  if you did not play on the WAVE 89 Team,  You just did not play on AAA.   Also.. It was pretty cut throat, if a AA player from the Wave player wanting on AAA team did not make tryouts, they were cut - sometimes from the club.   Little concern for please "stay in the club".  You were done.  Pretty brutal, but effective in simply getting best players on team.
The concept now is keeping the player in your club from 8-18 - possibly at the expense of talent.

I think the talent order of appearance over time was the JR Kings, then the WAVE, then LA Hockey.  When LA Hockey came on-board,  other clubs started catching on that if they ALSO developed a AAA program, they can keep those AA players.. and keep all those A players.   More AAA teams also gave 2nd line / 3rd line players the chance to be 1st line material at another newer AAA club.. dilution of talent.. as simple as that.  13 years ago.. that player would have been SOL  and would have to play AA hockey, or stop playing.

You can always create more clubs and AAA Teams, but you cannot simply create more talent.
If you really want to solve it you:
take the current set of AAA teams and you keep the top 20% of players and let the rest go  they are not AAA material.  Create two teams at each level (no major, no minor) - Don't care what club runs them.. heck they can switch it up every year of they like.  But 2 teams for so-cal period per age group period.  The rest can go play AA, and so on down the line it goes.

You would once again have a powerhouse AAA presence, and players that are fortunate enough and/or talented enough will get better faster. 

Anything short of that, though, results in average teams that bow out in Nationals, empty promises, and a big dent in your bank account for spending a ton of dough.

I probably have a lot of facts wrong, but that is how I view the current state of  tier hockey. 

This issue.. and of course the absurd overreaching punitive nature of CAHA.. is killing AAA/AA hockey.
Spot on assessment. 2 AAA 03 teams this year are prime examples of this.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:50:43 AM by orangecone »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2017, 08:51:39 AM »

It's funny you would say this.  Because at the '05 level, the best team in the country the last few years has been the Philly Little Flyers that play out of Aston, PA.  Interesting to see that they already have lost a game this season in tournament play, to a team from New Jersey.  There are easily 10 AAA teams within the 1-1.5 hour drive radius, and any number of those teams will be ranked in the top 20 nationally, with quite a few in the Top10. 

How does that jibe with your dissolution of talent theory?  Countries like Finland and Sweden do not stress early specialization in hockey.  They stress multiple sports and the development of athleticism, and routinely create professional players at a high number when looking at overall population.  I keep seeing this narrative articulated over and over that the important thing is that California should have a few AAA teams where all the talent is concentrated and that these teams will then win all the championships and this will be good for hockey. 

I can't for the life of me understand this thinking.  Youth hockey is a sport, and the sport is for the enjoyment of its participants.  Other people on these boards have brought up the low percentage of AAA players the state has vs. the overall player base.  CAHA has fully embraced the philosophy you espouse, and it hasn't been producing national championships (which is something that will always be reserved for a select few (and involves a lot of right place, right time, plain old luck).

There's that popular Brick video floating around, where a couple of Toronto teams were playing each other, and the ice is full of future NHL'ers (Stamkos, Jordan Eberle, Martin Jones, Michael Del Zotto, etc).  Nobody up there is fretting over the fact that they don't create one "super 10 year old team" and make sure that they keep that team together for 6 years so they can rack up as many youth hockey championships as possible.  Out of all those super teams from the good old days, how many continued up into the highest levels of hockey? 

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
I agree with Icadad's post.  This is probably my biggest problem with CAHA.  I believe they want recognition at the national level before anything else.  They've created a system in which 3-5 teams can play at every single birth year and it is failing.  They've created a system in which smaller clubs like the Bears are fielding very strong teams but they cannot meet the AAA requirements or they don't want to bother with it. 

[size=78%]The systems they have put into place are forcing players to leave the state. [/size]This is contrary to the USA Hockey model and denying development opportunities.  Let's examine the 14 AAA options last year for the entire state of California.  All of the teams were based in Southern California.  If you were up North you were S.O.L.  Any AAA players up there needed to move back East or down South.  Three of the teams were in the greater Los Angeles area with one being controlled by the Jr Ducks and two teams run out of El Segundo by the Jr Kings.     

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

It's funny you would say this.  Because at the '05 level, the best team in the country the last few years has been the Philly Little Flyers that play out of Aston, PA.  Interesting to see that they already have lost a game this season in tournament play, to a team from New Jersey.  There are easily 10 AAA teams within the 1-1.5 hour drive radius, and any number of those teams will be ranked in the top 20 nationally, with quite a few in the Top10. 

How does that jibe with your dissolution of talent theory?  Countries like Finland and Sweden do not stress early specialization in hockey.  They stress multiple sports and the development of athleticism, and routinely create professional players at a high number when looking at overall population.  I keep seeing this narrative articulated over and over that the important thing is that California should have a few AAA teams where all the talent is concentrated and that these teams will then win all the championships and this will be good for hockey. 

I can't for the life of me understand this thinking.  Youth hockey is a sport, and the sport is for the enjoyment of its participants.  Other people on these boards have brought up the low percentage of AAA players the state has vs. the overall player base.  CAHA has fully embraced the philosophy you espouse, and it hasn't been producing national championships (which is something that will always be reserved for a select few (and involves a lot of right place, right time, plain old luck).

There's that popular Brick video floating around, where a couple of Toronto teams were playing each other, and the ice is full of future NHL'ers (Stamkos, Jordan Eberle, Martin Jones, Michael Del Zotto, etc).  Nobody up there is fretting over the fact that they don't create one "super 10 year old team" and make sure that they keep that team together for 6 years so they can rack up as many youth hockey championships as possible.  Out of all those super teams from the good old days, how many continued up into the highest levels of hockey?
Holy shit......can you keep your rambles to the Cliff Note versions. :)

coachbombay

« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »
HOCKEY DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES

Hockey participation offers families value beyond making an individual a better player or even a
better athlete. The game of hockey is a powerful platform for participants to build character,
foster positive values and develop important life skills. These benefits are available to all
players, desirable to every family and transcend the game.

WE BELIEVE:
• Hockey should be an enjoyable family experience; all stakeholders— organizations, players,
parents, siblings, coaches, referees, volunteers and rink operators — play a role in this effort.
• Hockey’s greatest value is the role it plays in the development of character and life skills.
• All hockey organizations—regardless of size or level of competition — bring value to players and
families in their ability to deliver a positive family experience.
• Physical activity is important for a healthy body, mind and spirit.
• There are significant benefits of youth participation in multiple sports.
•   Hockey programs should be age-appropriate for all players, accounting for each individual’s
physical, emotional and cognitive development.
• There is great value in all forms of hockey, both on and off the ice.
• All hockey programs should provide a safe, positive and inclusive environment for players and
families regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual
orientation and socio- economic status. Simply put, hockey is for everyone.

We believe in our ability to improve lives and strengthen communities globally through hockey. We
believe that living by these Principles will provide a healthy, balanced and enjoyable experience
for all and inspire impactful service beyond the rink.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »

Most of the AAA teams (we are talking bantam and midget) for the early 2000's  had kids that were simply great athletes - at everything.  I feel this is why they were such good teams.  There was no year round hockey,  and when there were 2 AAA bantam teams,  they practiced all the time  (a ratio of 4+ practices per game)  vs 2-3 practices to every game.

And great players were ok playing AA.   AA was more the minor teams, and AAA was more the major teams in a division.

I agree with your point,  any kid 12 and under should focus on being as well rounded athlete (Hockey in winter, baseball / lacrosse is spring / soccer in summer.. what ever floats their boat.   and of course, a good dose of roller hockey to really have some fun.

If you want to level set the game and get great competition at all levels, it starts at the top.  Only a couple teams at each AAA level,  let the rest play AA, then let the marginal AA's play A, and so it goes. 

our system right now puts kids into a track where they have to participate 12 months out of the year in order to be a AAA kid.   (Probably not good for kid)

this does usually three things
1) makes the kid not like hockey
2) makes a marginally skilled player a better then average player over time  (but never usually a great player).
3) siphons your bank account to the tune of $30+k per year.

There are exceptions no doubt,  but the kid has to love it, and has to be a tremendous athlete anyways(in general at all sports).   We all know those kids, every generation has them - he or she was maybe you neighbor down the street growing up.  They are simply great at virtually any/all sports.   Make the hard look easy,  and will take summers off, and with only a few weeks of training, already are back in form and ahead of most everyone else.  You combine that skill with a passion for their chosen sport, and they are the ones that advance. 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:02:34 AM by fistocuffs »