This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Predictions for AA?  (Read 324449 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: Predictions for AA?
« Reply #255 on: September 12, 2017, 10:16:33 AM »
No, it doesn't really matter. You're right.

It's just frustrating because a system has been put in place to evaluate teams but we're slowly learning that the "evaluation" isn't a fair one. In San Jose someone on our team also heard a Jr. Kings(1) coach say he was told by a CAHA evaluator that his then winless team would be a gifted a Flight 1 spot.

Yet still I trust the rational minds will prevail. I couldn't imagine the folks at CAHA would place their integrity into question when so many players, parents, coaches and club presidents are watching so closely.

You're saying you trust CAHA?

This might be the first thing I haven't agreed with you of all your posts.

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2017, 11:20:09 AM »
game scores shouldn't matter when evaluating teams. Kings 1 might not have won a game, but they only played top flight teams (with maybe the exception of Wave 2). I didn't get to watch their games against the Sharks, Duck1, or GSE2, but the scores were close enough. My guess is that the games were close enought to place them in the Top Flight. They tied Wave 2 but took it to them for most of the game.
I watched the Flyers play and they are not in the same league as the top flight teams. Didn't get to see the Mariners play. I did see the Saints and they are a very good team.
And for the conspiracy with CAHA and the SCAHA schedule, the SCAHA schedule was released to the clubs before the Jamboree, so I doubt that CAHA had any influence on the match ups.
CAHA does have the option to have any two teams play each other this coming weekend, but doesn't seem like they are doing so.
But in the end, depending what team your son is on, CAHA will get it wrong!

Miss My 48080

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-4
« Reply #257 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
game scores shouldn't matter when evaluating teams. Kings 1 might not have won a game, but they only played top flight teams (with maybe the exception of Wave 2). .....But in the end, depending what team your son is on, CAHA will get it wrong!

I'm simply not buying it. The other teams did not get to choose their schedules. They played the teams CAHA asked them to play. Using your line of reasoning, CAHA could have very well given the Jr. Kings(1) a tough schedule knowing full well they could then use the "We didn't win any games but our schedule was really hard" argument.

It's sad. Really sad. The absolute sense of entitlement is difficult to watch.

CAHA will only get it wrong if they do their BFF's in ES a favor and give them what they did not earn.

....in my opinion.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #258 on: September 12, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »
My guess is that the games were close enought to place them in the Top Flight. They tied Wave 2 but took it to them for most of the game.

Not that it matters now since it's a foregone conclusion that Kings1 will be in top flight. My honest take on the Kings1 vs Wave2 game at Jamboree is that Kings1 did play a better game with their bigger bodies, but trailed 1-0 most of the game and had trouble scoring, tied it on PP only when a Wave kid got a questionable 2 and 10.

When Angry Eskimos and Kings1 scrimmaged a few weeks back, Eskimos were missing kids and still managed to win 5-3 IIRC. So really, Kings1 is middle of the pack, like Saints, Flyers, Mariners, and Wave2. Placing them in top flight does raise questions. This isn't grenades and horseshoes, if Kings1 are 'close enough' then so are some other teams... But I get it, it is what it is and I'm ok with my son's team being placed in lower flight.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »
I did see the Saints and they are a very good team.
Sorry Area51 but I beg to differ.

San Jose results:
6-0 loss to GSE2
6-0 loss to OC1
7-0 win over Jr Reign (that's not really saying much)
3-1 loss to WW

Sunday's SCAHA game:
8-3 loss to Empire (2 goals came on PP in a game where they had a huge advantage in penalties)

That's not good hockey for AA.  They might not be in the convo for relegation but they're probably in the lower half of the 2nd flight.

Miss My 48080

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-4
« Reply #260 on: September 13, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
I just want to send props to the manager of Jr. Ducks(2). It's been about three days since the teams played their first preseason games and s/he appears to be the only one who was able to successfully upload scores onto the SCAHA site.

According to information supplied by Jr. Kings(2), they played to a 0-0 tie with the Lady Ducks. Not sure that's accurate.

Nobody else even made the effort. This only applies to the managers of the home teams - Jr. Reign, Bears. Jr. Flyers, Empire and Jr. Ducks(1).

I don't believe the managers of the visiting teams needed to do anything this week. Isn't there a time limit?

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
There, Empire vs. Saints is posted.  I don't think most managers really care because it's only an exhibition.  Does SCAHA even care?  I don't think they care about the stats because the team rosters are not populated in order to accurately enter goals/assists, penalties, and shots taken by which goalies...

This is AA, CAHA is all that matters.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #262 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
I just want to send props to the manager of Jr. Ducks(2). It's been about three days since the teams played their first preseason games and s/he appears to be the only one who was able to successfully upload scores onto the SCAHA site.

According to information supplied by Jr. Kings(2), they played to a 0-0 tie with the Lady Ducks. Not sure that's accurate.

Nobody else even made the effort. This only applies to the managers of the home teams - Jr. Reign, Bears. Jr. Flyers, Empire and Jr. Ducks(1).

I don't believe the managers of the visiting teams needed to do anything this week. Isn't there a time limit?
There used to be one  a couple years ago when I was a manager. I think it was by Monday at 5pm.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:33:36 PM by Pistonkev »

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
« Reply #263 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »
I think SCAHA cares because they need the score sheets in case of possible suspensions

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »
I think SCAHA cares because they need the score sheets in case of possible suspensions
But you can't enter the player because they haven't populated the rosters for AA.  Doesn't matter, regardless of posting the score on SCAHA, our player's suspension showed up on CAHA on Monday anyway.

Miss My 48080

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-4
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
I don't think most managers really care because it's only an exhibition.

Whether or not a manager cares is not the issue. That person accepted a responsibility to do a job, not decide on his own who should care about what. It looks silly when some managers do it and others refuse.

Does SCAHA even care?

You'd have to ask them. Considering they have it on their site, and they gave you login credentials, they may.

I don't think they care about the stats because the team rosters are not populated in order to accurately enter goals/assists, penalties, and shots taken by which goalies...

Geez, I was just looking for scores. I Don't believe I was asking about stats or any of the other things you mentioned.

This is AA, CAHA is all that matters.

Once the season begins and the CAHA weekends are in full swing, CAHA will be all that matters. Until then, we still don't know how the division will look. We don't know how the flight system will shake out. We don't know if these SCAHA preseason games mean anything to those who are evaluating teams. We also don't know for sure how these SCAHA games will affect which teams go to which flight. There is quite a bit we don't know. In a season where teams are being judged to determine their placement I don't think it unreasonable to ask how teams did.

Thank you for posting the scores. Much appreciated.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #266 on: September 13, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »
Lighten up, Francis.  I don't think the outcome of ANY of the SCAHA exhibitions will have ANY impact on the much-anticipated flight system.  Just curious, is this your first rodeo in Tier hockey?  In case you were wondering, posted scores have routinely been delayed throughout the years, which is one of the main reasons this site was created - to get scores.  So, no, it is not unreasonable to ask how teams did.  That's why we ask here.  Ask away.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:09:32 PM by BlindZebras »

Miss My 48080

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-4
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2017, 02:11:22 PM »
Relax, Francis.  I don't think the outcome of ANY of the SCAHA exhibitions will have ANY impact on the much-anticipated flight system.  Just curious, is this your first rodeo in Tier hockey?  In case you were wondering, posted scores have routinely been delayed throughout the years, which is one of the main reasons this site was created - to get scores.  So, no, it is not unreasonable to ask how teams did.  That's why we ask here.  Ask away.

Funny. You miss the point, though. You may not think the games have no meaning, but this is a bit of an exceptional year. Lots of folks say they don't think this, or they don't think that. Unfortunately, none of us really know the facts. You don't know. I don't know. It's speculation.

No, not my first "rodeo" in Tier. With multiple sons playing we've been doing it for quite some time. I'll admit, though, this California Flight system is new to me, as it is to you.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #268 on: September 13, 2017, 02:32:28 PM »
Funny. You miss the point, though. You may not think the games have no meaning, but this is a bit of an exceptional year. Lots of folks say they don't think this, or they don't think that. Unfortunately, none of us really know the facts. You don't know. I don't know. It's speculation.
Bingo.  That's all it is.  Don't mean to be so dismissive but it's safe to say that a lot of this is just smoke and mirrors.  For instance, I don't care if either Kings 2 or Ducks 2 were the absolute worst teams in AA and most deservedly should be dropped to A.  It'll never happen because they're required to field 2 AA teams to support their AAA teams.  A lot of this is a foregone conclusion.  I'll go out on a limb here and predict that this year's AA will look A LOT like last year's AA, and will be shocked if they even implement a 2-flight system.

As to your original concerns, are there any particular scores you'd like to know?  Ask away...

NorcalDad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-1
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »
I tried to compute the RPI from the Labor day tournament for 14AA and got the following for flight 1:

• California Wave 14AA-1
  • Santa Clara Blackhawks U14AA
  • Los Angeles Jr Kings 14AA-1
  • Ventura Mariners 14AA
  • Anaheim Jr Ducks 14AA-1
  • California Golden Bears 14AA
  • Empire Hockey Club 14AA
  • Orange County Hockey Club 14AA-1
  • San Jose Jr Sharks 14AA
  • San Diego Saints 14AA
"The RPI takes a team's winning percentage, their opponent's winning percentage, and their opponent's opponent's winning percentage and factors them together to come up with a team's RPI. The only difference between the two is the weighting of each category. College basketball still uses 25%-50%-25%, while college hockey weights their RPI 25%-21%-54%."

Of course, that's without politics, so YMMV.