This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Predictions for AA?  (Read 324408 times)

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
Re: Predictions for AA?
« Reply #840 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
It is really refreshing to see positive comments about players, rather than the venom some people like to put out there.

Here we go...

From Rubber Mag...

About six years ago, as a first-time hockey parent of a Mite house player, I recall asking a couple of the veteran travel parents if they had any recommendations for information about different hockey clubs and the tryout process.
One parent was vocal about the wealth of resources you could find on the hockey message boards. The other parent was equally as vocal and stated in no uncertain terms that I should avoid those sites like the gaps in the mats at hockey rinks. I found myself fascinated by these differing opinions and began to scour the internet to learn more about hockey message boards.

These message boards are mostly populated by “adults” who have little or no understanding of the impact of their conversations on their children. These boards contain page after page of adults disparaging children and their performance in hockey. Visit the first-year Mite message board and clearly see the most upsetting comments imaginable regarding the athletic prowess of a child who probably learned to ride a bike less than two years before. I cannot even begin to describe the level of hate often expressed toward certain coaches whom parents will openly accuse of things that range from tax evasion to bribery.
Yet to their face, they say nothing.

Behind the guise of anonymity, parents attack other parents, clubs and governing bodies and it’s not uncommon for these adults to spend time arguing over the over/under scores of children’s hockey games every weekend. Further, parents will actively refer in vague terms to players or families whom they feel are not worthy to play with their children or whom they feel will never perform at the level that they (referring to the collective message board community) believe they should reach.

This was most beautifully illustrated by the torrent of messages regarding the California Amateur Hockey Association board decision to implement an evaluation protocol to help determine placement of teams for safety purposes. If one agrees or disagrees with the implementation of this policy is an individual’s choice, but the message boards erupted with such vitriol and angst equal to hot lava being poured upon the Stanley Cup.

Furthermore, almost every individual on the board went to great lengths to discuss the appropriateness of ranking one team or another in a division and the heresy of certain teams being included or not included.
It is crystal clear that the manner in which these adults are sharing their thoughts DOES impact the manner in which their children integrate the game and their attitude toward other players and clubs. Hockey as a sport is clearly one that brings people together and provides children with a long term, incredibly healthy after-school activity, which promotes friendship, discipline, and positive habits. What can easily erode the positive impact of hockey, however, is the negative filters and unresolved maladaptive manipulations of the parent, which is seen most clearly in the messages posted upon these boards.

Some parents have asked for my suggestions regarding the messages posted on the boards (because regardless of disclaimers, the children ARE reading these boards and hearing other adults speak negatively about them). What I tell them is to inform their players and children that there will always be people who are negative and there will always be people who search for an anonymous forum to display their unresolved mental health issues. And, most importantly, to consider what it felt like to hear or read something negative about their club or team and hold that memory for the next time they consider making a rude or inappropriate comment on social media. It might be too late to help the “adults” on these message boards integrate a different mindset, but there is a chance for the players of today to become the responsible and positive hockey parents of tomorrow.

Trevor Small, Psy.D., is a clinical psychologist who is the Safe Sport coordinator for the Los Angeles Jr. Kings, the clinical director of Bridges to Recovery, and is in private practice in Santa Monica. He has provided mental health services to adolescents and adults for almost 30 years.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:09:45 AM by justanotherhockeydad »

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #841 on: November 14, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »
It is really refreshing to see positive comments about players, rather than the venom some people like to put out there.

Here we go...

From Rubner Mag...

About six years ago, as a first-time hockey parent of a Mite house player, I recall asking a couple of the veteran travel parents if they had any recommendations for information about different hockey clubs and the tryout process.
One parent was vocal about the wealth of resources you could find on the hockey message boards. The other parent was equally as vocal and stated in no uncertain terms that I should avoid those sites like the gaps in the mats at hockey rinks. I found myself fascinated by these differing opinions and began to scour the internet to learn more about hockey message boards.

These message boards are mostly populated by “adults” who have little or no understanding of the impact of their conversations on their children. These boards contain page after page of adults disparaging children and their performance in hockey. Visit the first-year Mite message board and clearly see the most upsetting comments imaginable regarding the athletic prowess of a child who probably learned to ride a bike less than two years before. I cannot even begin to describe the level of hate often expressed toward certain coaches whom parents will openly accuse of things that range from tax evasion to bribery.

Behind the guise of anonymity, parents attack other parents, clubs and governing bodies and it’s not uncommon for these adults to spend time arguing over the over/under scores of children’s hockey games every weekend. Further, parents will actively refer in vague terms to players or families whom they feel are not worthy to play with their children or whom they feel will never perform at the level that they (referring to the collective message board community) believe they should reach.

This was most beautifully illustrated by the torrent of messages regarding the California Amateur Hockey Association board decision to implement an evaluation protocol to help determine placement of teams for safety purposes. If one agrees or disagrees with the implementation of this policy is an individual’s choice, but the message boards erupted with such vitriol and angst equal to hot lava being poured upon the Stanley Cup.

Furthermore, almost every individual on the board went to great lengths to discuss the appropriateness of ranking one team or another in a division and the heresy of certain teams being included or not included.
It is crystal clear that the manner in which these adults are sharing their thoughts DOES impact the manner in which their children integrate the game and their attitude toward other players and clubs. Hockey as a sport is clearly one that brings people together and provides children with a long term, incredibly healthy after-school activity, which promotes friendship, discipline, and positive habits. What can easily erode the positive impact of hockey, however, is the negative filters and unresolved maladaptive manipulations of the parent, which is seen most clearly in the messages posted upon these boards.

Some parents have asked for my suggestions regarding the messages posted on the boards (because regardless of disclaimers, the children ARE reading these boards and hearing other adults speak negatively about them). What I tell them is to inform their players and children that there will always be people who are negative and there will always be people who search for an anonymous forum to display their unresolved mental health issues. And, most importantly, to consider what it felt like to hear or read something negative about their club or team and hold that memory for the next time they consider making a rude or inappropriate comment on social media. It might be too late to help the “adults” on these message boards integrate a different mindset, but there is a chance for the players of today to become the responsible and positive hockey parents of tomorrow.

Trevor Small, Psy.D., is a clinical psychologist who is the Safe Sport coordinator for the Los Angeles Jr. Kings, the clinical director of Bridges to Recovery, and is in private practice in Santa Monica. He has provided mental health services to adolescents and adults for almost 30 years.

Ah SHIT !!

JMO....

A) Your kid should not be on CH.  It's not our fault that you can't control your kid.  Probably of the same thinking that subscribe to the notion that guns kill people..
     B) This is a place where We, mostly of adult mentality, engage in high school style antics,  mixed in with opinions of a sport we and our kids love.
     C) it is all in fun. Most of us don' take it Too serious.
     D) If your a pussy and can't take the ribbing (for your enjoyment)....don't log on....end of problem.

JMHO

Rub One Out

• Mite
  • LR Justice +42/-2
« Reply #842 on: November 14, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »
Gotta agree with Trans, that article does not even begin to cover all of the different subjects discussed here, but rather focuses solely on the negative aspects. The fact that it was written by a large club representative is certainly no surprise. I guess the site needs to have more visual disclaimers, much like a pack of cigarettes stating they may cause cancer, in an effort to protect people's feelings.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #843 on: November 14, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
I hear more hurtful things said by parents, coaches and officials at most games than I read here. Btw, not having read the article, is it suggesting that the flighting system was implemented for the protection of the players?

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #844 on: November 14, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »
Gotta agree with Trans, that article does not even begin to cover all of the different subjects discussed here, but rather focuses solely on the negative aspects. The fact that it was written by a large club representative is certainly no surprise. I guess the site needs to have more visual disclaimers, much like a pack of cigarettes stating they may cause cancer, in an effort to protect people's feelings.

Not to mention the Guy who wrote this has a kid on a A team that is playing in AA.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #845 on: November 14, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »

Not to mention the Guy who wrote this has a kid on a A team that is playing in AA.
LMFAO!!! ;D ;D ;D

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #846 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
Hahahahahahaahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stanley

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-10
« Reply #847 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
So player safety is why the flight system was created!  And all you bozos thought it was so clubs could charge "AA" prices for "A" hockey. 

Player safety must also why the Flight 2 teams all had to travel from SoCal to NorCal just to play each other.  Nothing to do with anybody making $$$ off it.  What could be safer than 300 kids hanging out by the state penitentiary for a weekend?  http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/07/10/grisly-vacaville-prison-murder-follows-riot-inmate-found-nearly-cut-in-two-organs-missing/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:34:38 PM by Stanley »

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #848 on: November 14, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »

Here we go...

From Rubber Mag...

I can only wish the article discussed the need for communication that is lacking or can't occur.  I also wish it discussed the time commitment and money being spent by parents and the system that is in place that is often causing such far ranging opinions. 
This board and its impact on kids is nothing compared to what is occurring in ice rinks every weekend.  I don't state that as a bad, but hockey is intense and sometimes the ugly side of youth sports is revealed in many different ways, from a kid getting speared, to a coach being a poor example, cops being called to break up a fight in the stands and so much more.
I credit the volunteers who give so much of their time to make the sport happen.  Many of them are on this very board and express their opinions in much needed privacy.     
The situation with youth hockey and particularly in California is far from perfect.  There are many things that can be done better. 
If you've been on the board for years there have been numerous posts of benefit, from mite cross ice and playing up, to moving along through the system, rules put in place and trying to get your player to juniors and the higher levels of the sport.  Yes there are ridiculous posts, some of them witty, well thought out and hysterical.  However, I'd like to think the communication on the board has somewhere along the line kept a bit of honesty and integrity throughout the state. It certainly has helped me keep a bit of my sanity and while entertained it has also kept me informed.   

Santino

• Mite
  • LR Justice +11/-5
« Reply #849 on: November 15, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
Flight II, 3 of the 4 games on Sunday were ties.  Coincidence? Fatigue/Playing not to lose?

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #850 on: November 15, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
Some of it fatigue, some of it poor execution.  Playing not to lose doesn't make sense to me.

Pass_the_puck

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #851 on: November 16, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »
Remeber no one likes excuses...right Miss My 48080? so how were your games this weekend?

Seems like the Mariners are the only ones that don't make excuses.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #852 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Remeber no one likes excuses...right Miss My 48080? so how were your games this weekend?

Speaking of that. OC1 went 0-4 what happened?

BBNMCAS

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +8/-6
« Reply #853 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »

Speaking of that. OC1 went 0-4 what happened?

No excuses or reasons will be given by me but things will be different in Riverside.

We'll see some of you next weekend at the tournament in LA.

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #854 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
Sounds awfully threatening.